<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

that's not flasing, that's resetting to stock settings.

is it a wrt54g? http://www.hyperwrt.org/Downloads.shtml

use the stable version of hyperwrt if it is.

here are some more.http://wrt54g.thermoman.de/

to flash your rourt, go to 192.168.1.1 and type in your login and password

now go to administration, firmware upgrade, find your new firmware or the upgrade

in the browse feature, and upgrade it.

p.s.: i use alchemy http://wrt54g.thermoman.de/WRT54G.Sveasoft.Firmware.Alchemy.Final_by_TheIndividual.zip

you can also reset to stock firmware by uplugging for the about 35-45 seconds, then plugging back in. w00t./

or the little hole on the back. you can press that button inside the hole in for about 30 seconds, release. blam-o!

its a wrk54g, and either it is disconnecting every 20 seconds for 2 seconds, or running really slow.

If i reset the router, via power suply or new settings in the router, it runs perfect for 2 mins, then sucks again.

My last resort was to go back to the old firmware, start from scratch, and see if that fixes the problem.

I couldn't find the old firmware though, so I thought holding the reset button would bring it back to factory stats with the old firmware.

it's the 1.0, but linksys only serves the current firmware. (i am running the one you linked)

Im temped to go get another wifi router, but this will be the 3rd one in a year, ive had problems with the wrk54g and some netgear POS.

Are home wifi routers just generaly expensive, faulty hardware?

Or am I having shitty luck.

linux is not above anyone if they can use windows they can use linux linux is eaiser it just depends on what version you get

shai hulud can explain

I'll try my best. I am admittedly biased, since my last (self-inflicted) XP ordeal meant seeing a lot of work and music go down in flames. I decided then and there that there wasn't a OS or program worth paying for, since nothing/no one is guaranteed to not hose my computer...there should be an all-purpose disclaimer for software, free or not...something like, "This application/OS is only under warranty until it is installed. Humans make mistakes, and blaming technology for your own shortcomings makes you look like a sore loser. Good luck." Well, that's how Linux works, and I respect that.

Mainter is right, but he's looking at it from a certain point of view. Before I continue, I'll take the following into account.

1. Your friend has the money to spend on a new laptop. That means he can get a clean install of XP Pro, which works fine if you know how to maintain it. Plus, he can get an extended care package, and take it in for service if (no, make that when) something goes wrong. I have my own reasons not to take this route, but I'm practical enough to see that my opinions aren't gospel truth, and I'm not here to sell anything. However, I think people are finally realizing that the only thing they really need to buy is hardware, and that free doesn't mean second-rate- Firefox, Open Office, Avast, and Java are all free, for example.

2. He's only used Windows, and doesn't want to have to learn a new OS from the ground up. This is a huge thing for some people, and shouldn't be overlooked. Also, I should add that Macs have a really easy learning curve, but that works for and against them. When you make something idiot-proof, that also means it's usually a lot harder to fix or hack, and if he plans to do anything beyond day to day computing it will become more of an issue the more he learns.

3. The time commitment involved with OSS (Open Source Software, which covers Linux. BSD and anything under the GPL) is considerable. If he's in college, he may need his computer right now and not be interested in coding in his spare time when he could be drinking beer and laying some pipe. It's great if he can do all three (I have), but it's not easy.

The best thing about Linux is that it's free. You don't have to pay for it, and once it's on your computer you can change it as much or as little as you want to suit your needs. It's also the biggest collaborative project in history, with about 29 million users all over the world contributing their time and skill- right now, I'm actually helping out by using Linux to look at this page, and realizing that the way my stylesheet interacts with the text on 12 oz. (which runs on a Linux server, I've been told) could use some improvement. I can tell Opera to look into this, but I'll probably just fix it myself...and, if I think that it's a good patch, I can share it with other users.

This is also the worst thing about Linux, too. It puts you in the driver's seat and hands you the keys, and the only way to learn how to drive it is to get out there and make it happen. It assumes a lot of its users, because you either have to be smart or broke (or both) to be motivated enough to make it work for you. There's a lot of helpful folks that will guide you, and tons of books on the subject...but it is up to you to figure out what you need to know, and if you lack patience and go on a forum saying things like, "It's broken, I don't know why, somebody needs to fix this for me RIGHT NOW," you can almost bet that no one will touch your problem until you can explain it in detail and wait for them to take the time to look into it. Personally, I like that, because it taught me how to solve my own problems instead of looking like the village idiot every time I made a mistake. No one is getting paid to fix your computer for you anymore, so you need to be nice or do it yourself. It's not hard to learn, but you'd be surprised.

As far as recommending which distribution to install, that's a tough one. I've been using Grafpup 104 lately, which is good for me. It's primarily for graphic work, but it is a good general-use OS with a nice interface. It's not what I normally use, but I'm definitely impressed with it, so far. If he's interested, he should look at distrowatch.com- they keep an up-to-date list of all of the currently available versions of Linux, and he can read the articles on there to decide what would suit him best. Also, you can use a live CD to try out a lot of different things without having to install anything on your hard drive. A live CD simply loads the kernel into your RAM, and runs apps from the CD drive as they are needed.

As far as software goes, there's tons of stuff to choose from. It's not hard to find programs that are as good as anything for XP that sell for hundreds of dollars. The GIMP is the best thing I've used for graphics and photo editing. Open Office for word processing, GAIM for chat, Azereus for torrents...KDE is a desktop suite and it comes with all of the above. It's a good way for most folks to try out Linux who are used to XP, anyway.

I hope this helps. And, to whoever else is contemplating the switch, good luck....and make backups, you'll be glad you did.

Oh, I forgot...I posted a few days ago that my comp hadn't crashed while using a beta install.

Guess what happened less than an hour after I wrote that? Not only did it crash, it left about 100MB of files with read-only status on one of my drives, and I can't erase them since that's where all my music is stored. I'd have to reformat the drive...no thanks.

Then, I found out that the release date for MEPIS got pushed back another two weeks. At least they're doing what they need to do to make it solid, I guess.

So I get to try Grafpup, and it rocks. If I had to recommend a distro for anybody on the board, this would probably be it.

Also, my roommate has a 200GB hard drive that he dropped that we're trying to retrieve the data from. I tried freezing it, but that didn't help. Somebody probably has dealt with this before, so if you have any advice I'd like to hear it.

There may be some movies in it for whoever comes up with a solution, if incentive is required.

Why are there two computer threads? Did Mainter and Casek have a fight?

haha. why do you guys act like nerds are all gheys?

no, mainter and i are still friends. we didn't have a fight.

that other thread got kind of distorted and out of context, so

we tried to close it and mainter started this one in a brave

attempt to organize everything.

it worked for awhile, and both of us are giving advice freely on

this thread. but i'm sure either of us will answer on either thread.

Bump.

Thanks, casek...but is that a Linux app? Also, it's a Mac drive...I can fix it on my comp, but I need the right tools.

The drive makes some weird chirping noise when it's powered up. Usually, that means it's all bad, from my experience.

The data is intact, I think...but the arm is stuck and won't read the platter.

My bad...I just loked, and saw it was for Mac. Thanks, we'll try it out!

We'll send you a list of movies if it works. Than, we'll work out the details.

sape: it really should. give it a try. you have enough ram.

have you checked for graphics upates for your computer?

bios updates?

something else: if you have $50 to spare, go to wal-mart and pick up a video card.

ebay would be better.

give it a try homie. we'll get ya running that shit one way or anohter.

how to tellif the nsa is tapping you

If you're a Windows user, fire up an MS-DOS command prompt. Now type tracert followed by the domain name of the website, e-mail host, VoIP switch, or whatever destination you're interested in. Watch as the program spits out your route, line by line.

C:\> tracert nsa.gov

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 12.110.110.204

[...]

7 11 ms 14 ms 10 ms as-0-0.bbr2.SanJose1.Level3.net [64.159.0.218]

8 13 12 19 ms ae-23-56.car3.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.68.123.173]

9 18 ms 16 ms 16 ms 192.205.33.17

10 88 ms 92 ms 91 ms tbr2-p012201.sffca.ip.att.net [12.123.13.186]

11 88 ms 90 ms 88 ms tbr1-cl2.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.10.41]

12 89 ms 97 ms 89 ms tbr1-cl4.wswdc.ip.att.net [12.122.10.29]

13 89 ms 88 ms 88 ms ar2-a3120s6.wswdc.ip.att.net [12.123.8.65]

14 102 ms 93 ms 112 ms 12.127.209.214

15 94 ms 94 ms 93 ms 12.110.110.13

16 * * *

17 * * *

18 * *

In the above example, my traffic is jumping from Level 3 Communications to AT&T's network in San Francisco, presumably over the OC-48 circuit that AT&T tapped on February 20th, 2003, according to the Klein docs.

The magic string you're looking for is sffca.ip.att.net. If it's present immediately above or below a non-att.net entry, then -- by Klein's allegations -- your packets are being copied into room 641A, and from there, illegally, to the NSA.

shai: if worse comes to worse, i do have a friend who has opened up hard drives

and fixed them. he said it's really not a big deal to do so.

I considered that, but I wouldn't know where to begin. I was going to drop the platter into a different case, but I doubt it's that simple.

If you/he could maybe email me some pointers, I'd give it a shot. This guy has written off the drive as a complete loss at this point...I'd love to prove him wrong.