<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: «<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support >>>

I guess it's different for you...the novelty hasn't worn off for me yet.

Mainter, there's some irony in the fact that as a MSCE, I've noticed on more than one occasion you've recommended that people install Linux. Care to elaborate?

I'll admit that if I had the means to do so at this point, I'd go with a dual-boot with XP and Linux...both for the sake of convenience, and because I know a lot more about system maintenance than I did when I started out.

But, Linux is more than adequate 95% of the time. I just get sick of waiting for apps to be ported to Linux...and having to go through the whole alpha/beta/RC process just to have to compile binary code. .exe is a great tool, if you understand how powerful it is and don't use it indiscriminately.

I'm having installer issues today...in case you haven't noticed.

i recommend linux because i have to deal with windows and all its bullshit all the time, with linux i install and have to do nothing else im not into linux like you are with all the different discos and shit

i only stick with 3

slackware** the best

knoppixx

suse

i use to be up on lindows because it was able to run alot of microsoft programs like office and shi like that but ever sense i found open office i stopped using it

the reason i got my msce is because microsoft is not going anywhere right now its where the money is at for business linux is right on there tail for the reasons of the price practically free and its more reliable

i recommend linux because i have to deal with windows and all its bullshit all the time, with linux i install and have to do nothing else im not into linux like you are with all the different discos and shit

i only stick with 3

slackware** the best

knoppixx

suse

i use to be up on lindows because it was able to run alot of microsoft programs like office and shi like that but ever sense i found open office i stopped using it

the reason i got my msce is because microsoft is not going anywhere right now its where the money is at for business linux is right on there tail for the reasons of the price practically free and its more reliable

That's about what I thought. It's funny, all three of those distros are completely different, but all of them are good.

Mine is distantly related to Slackware, but I prefer something Debian-based running KDE.

You're right, having MS training is like money in the bank. I think it would drive me crazy having to use Linux on a regular basis and fix things in MS, however.

can you use a computer monitor with a playstation' date=' and how[/quote']

you need a tv card. try the ati tv wonder pro for somethign cheap that will work well.

or go to the ati all-in-wonder for somethign in the mid-range and a really good capture card.

if you want digital pic...the ati hdtv wonder. good shit. costs about $110 retail. can find it cheaper on ebay.

I downloaded City of god from ilovetorrents.com, it was listed as a Dvd R, when I unpacked the .rar the file is in .img format, I havent heard of .img. This is probly a stupid question but any help would be appreciated.

What is a Blu-ray Disc?

A current, single-sided, standard DVD can hold 4.7 GB of information. That's about the size of an average two-hour, standard-definition movie with a few extra features. But a high-definition movie, which has a much clearer image takes up about five times more bandwidth and therefore requires a disc with about five times more storage. As Tv sets and movie studios make the move to high definition, consumers are going to need playback systems with a lot more storage capacity.

Blu-ray is the next-generation digital video disc. It can record, store and play back high-definition video and digital audio, as well as computer data. The advantage to Blu-ray is the sheer amount of information it can hold:

* A single-layer Blu-ray disc, which is roughly the same size as a DVD, can hold up to 27 GB of data -- that's more than two hours of high-definition video or about 13 hours of standard video.

* A double-layer Blu-ray disc can store up to 50 GB, enough to hold about 4.5 hours of high-definition video or more than 20 hours of standard video. And there are even plans in the works to develop a disc with twice that amount of storage.

blu-ray-4.gif

Blu-ray discs not only have more storage capacity than traditional DVDs, but they also offer a new level of interactivity. Users will be able to connect to the Internet and instantly download subtitles and other interactive movie features.