<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

is there a proper way to manage an external HD...like make a perfect backup of everything on my desktop, and just add the newer folders and subfolders without re-copying all the old stuff??

if im not making sense, i can re-phrase...

thanks in advance!

yep its called incremental backups

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
hey casek does this sound like a hard drive going to shit??

here is the symptoms 300GB (really 298) its getting full 214GB now the problem is its saying 47.2GB free when in reality it has 84GB free

in the properties it says 47.2free and 250 used out of 298

but i open the drive select all files including hidden and it says i only have 214GB full

where the fuck is my other 41GB??

dunno. try that HDD repair..

Guest spectr

ok xp prop problem that leaves me somewhat baffled....

boots normal... then no icons... keyboard is disabled and mouse is to other then movement...

boot into safe mode no icons... have to run everything from ctrl-alt-delete... then I can create no icons... no virus protection and no web access... I can't boot to last known config... its a bad config... I can do nothing... no clue where the bad file is... been looking through shit.. with no success.... any ideas.... thanks casek and mainter... and sorry I am not on here so much anymore something about almost having a kid then a miscarriage tonight...... life is fucking hectic... had a gun held to my head friday... and lost 3 friends in the course of 6 days... on every other day.... plus dealing with mad drama with nazi pieces of shit... yeah well fuck it just help me fix my boys comp so he can stop borrowing my laptop...

Ok guys, i need help!

I recently got my hands on a Dell Inspiron 9100 but the dvd drive (cd/dvd burner combo - model #: dw-r56a) doesn't read a thing. You can hear it spin and try to read it for a bit, but nothing ever shows up as present in the drive in Windows.

Its a detachable drive (i can "safely remove the hardware" in the system tray), so i can easily buy a new one and pop it in with ease, but 1) i'd rather not waste the money if it can be remedied and 2) since i dont know the exact problem with this one, i dont know if its actually the drive (so replacing it would def fix it), or something else.

I'm going to look into updating its firmware. I've never upgraded a drives firmware before and dont know if it'll even do anything, but i dont know what else to try.

Thanks guys.

-mindv

ok xp prop problem that leaves me somewhat baffled....

boots normal... then no icons... keyboard is disabled and mouse is to other then movement...

boot into safe mode no icons... have to run everything from ctrl-alt-delete... then I can create no icons... no virus protection and no web access... I can't boot to last known config... its a bad config... I can do nothing... no clue where the bad file is... been looking through shit.. with no success.... any ideas.... thanks casek and mainter... and sorry I am not on here so much anymore something about almost having a kid then a miscarriage tonight...... life is fucking hectic... had a gun held to my head friday... and lost 3 friends in the course of 6 days... on every other day.... plus dealing with mad drama with nazi pieces of shit... yeah well fuck it just help me fix my boys comp so he can stop borrowing my laptop...

did you try a system restore??

if that dont work just do a xp system repair

sorry about yer situation as of late hope it gets better

Ok guys, i need help!

I recently got my hands on a Dell Inspiron 9100 but the dvd drive (cd/dvd burner combo - model #: dw-r56a) doesn't read a thing. You can hear it spin and try to read it for a bit, but nothing ever shows up as present in the drive in Windows.

Its a detachable drive (i can "safely remove the hardware" in the system tray), so i can easily buy a new one and pop it in with ease, but 1) i'd rather not waste the money if it can be remedied and 2) since i dont know the exact problem with this one, i dont know if its actually the drive (so replacing it would def fix it), or something else.

I'm going to look into updating its firmware. I've never upgraded a drives firmware before and dont know if it'll even do anything, but i dont know what else to try.

Thanks guys.

-mindv

them drives suck, the laser azimuth needs adjusted

google search LASER AZIMUTH ADJUSTMENT

it a good project and takes a very very very steady hand

them drives suck, the laser azimuth needs adjusted

google search LASER AZIMUTH ADJUSTMENT

it a good project and takes a very very very steady hand

Well, i flashed it to a D56A and now i'm stuck with this message whenever i try to access the drive:

""D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.""

Also, the light on the drive is always on and it doesn't spin or try to read any discs now.

Help!

Well, i flashed it to a D56A and now i'm stuck with this message whenever i try to access the drive:

""D:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.""

Also, the light on the drive is always on and it doesn't spin or try to read any discs now.

Help!

you killed it with bad firmware

go buy a new one

ok so I did a bit of research and didn't come up with much, maybe i am an idiot who knows. But i just kinda switched to mac but the problem is witj my external hard drives i can only read... whats the best way to change that since my mac wont let me reformat it. Do i need to use my old pc or a program?

Wrong! I undid that action and am now back to the original firmware with the same symtpoms as i originally posted. Can you still help?

well as i said before its prolly a laser misalignment (does it do it with both dvd's and cd's) did the previous owner smoke ( this could cause smoke on the lens and messes things up) also you could have plain dust on the lens which stops it from reading

Ok, well i have a BIGGER PROBLEM! My bro was using my laptop connected to an external monitor while i was at work. I come home and disconnect it but the laptop's screen panel wont show anything...On boot it WILL show the dell/bios boot screen, *EDIT: and the last thing i see is the WIndows XP logo. I can see things if i plug up my external monitor though. So i know it isnt the screen physically, must be a problem in windows thinking its still connected to the external monitor? How do i revert it back to its original panel screen?!

I can't see shit!

Ok, well i have a BIGGER PROBLEM! My bro was using my laptop connected to an external monitor while i was at work. I come home and disconnect it but the laptop's screen panel wont show anything...On boot it WILL show the dell/bios boot screen, *EDIT: and the last thing i see is the WIndows XP logo. I can see things if i plug up my external monitor though. So i know it isnt the screen physically, must be a problem in windows thinking its still connected to the external monitor? How do i revert it back to its original panel screen?!

I can't see shit!

right click on wallpaper/properties/settings, etc...you'll figure it out

It listed the laptop panel as unavailable (grayed out).

So any word on why my screen goes black and stays that way (until i uninstall and reboot my display driver again using the external monitor) whenever i change the resolution?

Actually, now its telling me i dont have the rights to change the resolution, although i AM the Admin.

Win Xp Pro