painting in the cold...

perfect stranger

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far the best tecnique i have found if your not wearing gloves is to be working on your fill with your thumb instead of the index, only use that for outlines. also, when you hand starts to freeze, stick it down your droors, it sucks but put your hand in between your balls and you leg. warms it right up, balls get pretty cold though(this is not a joke, it really does work). i really dig the old sock idea, i've never heard that one, but i'm gonna have to try it out. the cans being metal and cold as shit is the biggest problem for me. this is a dope thread whoever started it.

inkface..

if you take your fill colors and put them in an old sock it helps keep your hand warm. its a little bulky feeling at first but you will get use to it. I dont wrap my outline color or inline/border colors though, the sock makes it a lil weird and i have touble keepin my lines on point....

Originally posted by ink face@Mar 9 2005, 08:50 AM

preciate it, and yeah, i dont know why but latex gloves make it worse for me too. i just got those gloves that kinda look like mittens, but you can fold down the mitten part revieling only one finget if needed. so thats what i been using, works ok.

those gloves sound perfect, i might have to swing through walmart and pick up a pair...

theres basically no sense using latex gloves in the cold if you have waterproof winter gloves that you don't mind stains on.

then again you can buy XXXL size latex gloves and stuff your wintergloves inside them to keep them clean.

OR you can sit home and make fake flicks with photoshop or something. graffiti theme live role playing

Last time i painted was a total chaos. It was midwinter and there were no snow on the ground (global warming and shit you know). It was raining (water) like hell and it was freezing cold. The paint was stuffed in the backbag with all types of clothes to cover them from cold. Of course that didn't help and the paint didn't come out. I lost all my fatcaps and i was soaking wet and cold. I started painting and the wind threw all the fucking paint to my face and clothes. I was covered in red&blue paint.

Because of that incident i'm not going to paint this winter anymore. Fucking winter i hate you. Go away. :hatred:

• 2 weeks later...

Painting in the Northeast is pretty shittastic in terms of winter wonderland painting. I've been a little bitch in the past couple because old bones are getting creaky in the inclimate weather. If you're going to go out in the cold, I'd suggest all of the normal methods, the smokers mittens, the hotwater bottle(although, I've had one leak on me before, bad scene like you were watching panic room), etc. But, the best advice I can give is utilizing those Rusto professional cans. Except for maybe safety yellow and red(safety yellow on bare wall is good though), they're super thick so you don't have to sit there freezing your digits off bothering with krylon or misting on layers of other rusto, and they dry super quick so you dont have to deal with the rustoleum cold weather sag. If you dont rack and want to go the cheaper route, stick to doing walmart silvers with rusto pro- flat black outlines. Yeah, the rusto costs a little more, but the price evens out with the walmart, and you can do a pretty nice big simple in half the time it would take you to freeze your butt off doing something else.

good thing its almost 60 out today and I'm giving this advice.....

Too keep my cans warm I racked a bunch of thermases. When its real cold out and I want to go paint some trains or something, Ill put maybe a bit more than a quarter of warm water in the thermas, then I put the can inside it with out the cap or the tips on it. close it up and do that with a few more cans to keep them warm. make sure its a fairly big thermas that will fit the cans.

Originally posted by srempv@Mar 16 2005, 04:35 AM

Last time i painted was a total chaos. It was midwinter and there were no snow on the ground (global warming and shit you know). It was raining (water) like hell and it was freezing cold. The paint was stuffed in the backbag with all types of clothes to cover them from cold. Of course that didn't help and the paint didn't come out. I lost all my fatcaps and i was soaking wet and cold. I started painting and the wind threw all the fucking paint to my face and clothes. I was covered in red&blue paint.

Because of that incident i'm not going to paint this winter anymore. Fucking winter i hate you. Go away. :hatred:

I'm sorry, I know that must have sucked, but the way you described that made me fall outta my seat laughing. Keep warm man ;)

ahh it's getting warm already! :)

about fucked up painting missions, I'm the expert. Worst one... it was windy. I was doing a couple of throwups under a bridge, after a short while the wind got stronger and catched my half empty backpack. the cans got tossed out of the backpack (rolling down the hill into a ditch) and I started chasing them. I had ALL my caps in the side pocket of the backpack so that was the my main concern. after collecting my bag I searched the ditch and found the cans from yellow water &%#"!

also every time I got close the wall or even thought of making a straight line, the fucking wind blew the stream to shits. I was cursing out loud and gave up, fucking pissed off... it was like a chaplin movie, I felt like I was on a candid camera

• 3 weeks later...

i hate cold weather but i'll still paint, and i've never had to much of a problem. just keep those cans warm. its the fog that pisses me off. it teases you. you think to yourself..."i could hit anything right now and no ones gonna see me", but because the wall is all wet from the fog, it ends up looking like some old, nasty, fadded, piece.

• 1 year later...
my biggest problem with the winter is when the blood in my hand feels like it is frozen, then when you get into the car it starts to thaw out and it feels like someone is stabing you with a million needles....

I thought I was the only one who had that.

And fuck I was gonna contribute to this thread but I forgot what I was gonna say.