Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah. I'm on Windows running through a Linux server with the firewalls enabled. Whatever the Archie Bunker that tells you...

I'm trying to get a copy of @Stake LC5 but keep running across the crack instead of the demo or actual program.

Not having access to P2P clients sucks.

if anybody could help, i'd appreciate it:

i'm going to be needing a laptop by the next month or 2, mainly for school purposes. however, rather than using it soley for writing papers and browsing the web, i will be using it to program using C++.net and programming programmable boards using xilinx. and whatever kind of shit that follows.

now, if i would wish up a fucking star and chose any laptop that i so desired, i would jump for the apple powerbook. but that is of no use for me. probably 99% of any program i will be using will be PC based.

any suggestions? i need a powerful and fast and reliable laptop, that is easy enough for me to carry back and forth to school and what not.

i'm partial to widescreen laptops, those are fucking sexy. but i am looking in the price range of $1500 give or take a bill or two.

what's the deal with acer? and averatec? should i just opt for an ibm thinkpad? dell has always treated me nice. but, what about the hp?

i want something that will put out and look nice. not too big and clunky, but not some flashy alienware shit. even though those things are pretty badass.

i need one that isn't going to die on me anytime soon also. i'm probably going to be stuck with this laptop for a good 5 years, so i need something that will run the race.

any input would help.

I often have to buy in laptops for new employees at my place of work and have come across alot of these Acer models..

Anyone had any experiene with them? I've held off getting any because I'm a paranoid kinda guy and dont like to buy things in that arnt tried and tested.

I ask because these tend to be an awfull lot cheaper then the standard brands for higher spec laptops.

Top 5 reasons to get Windows XP 64

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/e...ation/top5.mspx

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is designed to provide faster performance, increased reliability, and flexibility to today’s most demanding users, enabling them to run memory- and calculation-intensive applications and processes more efficiently. This new technology arms technical workstation users and cutting-edge home PC enthusiasts with a secure platform that can run new 64-bit applications as well as most existing 32-bit applications for maximum flexibility on a single PC.

You will need to have an x64 processor (the AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium 4 with EM64T, or Intel Xeon with EM64T)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896334

Originally posted by casekonly@Jul 14 2005, 11:41 AM

i've heard that xp64 is a bit hard on systems, but i have never tried it.

yeah i aint gonna waste my time with xp-64 i will just wait till longhorn comes out i heard its going to be running 64 bit and should be more backward comptabile then xp-64 and i will have more updated hardware for my comuter to handle it

okay here's my deal:

i periodiclly run updates on my software and run scans on my hard drive with Ad Aware.

Yesterday I updated Firefox to 1.0.4, Ad Aware, Spybot; i ran scans and fixed what problems they said I had, and I also defragged my HD. Since then I've been getting popups from "Aurora - ABI".. i remember seeing this when running my Ad Aware scan and i supposedly quarantined it. My computer's been kinda running slow (even when i'm not running many programs at the same time)..

Any ideas? plzplzplzplzplzplz!

yepper you still got spyware go to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx this is a really nice spyware thing even though its from microsoft anyway download this and run it in a full system scan while you are in safe mode

it should get rid of it and also set yer ad aware program to run before windows boots up

try them steps and tell us what happened

i keep a copy of my pictures folder on a cd. i want to make it more travel friendly by fixing the folder so i can access it from any xp computer. *i just remembered something, xp doesn't assign cds to user accounts, so i shouldn't be getting any access denied messages no matter what, can anyone confirm this? actually, other windows versions, the mac os, and linux would be good too if that's possible. i also want to encrypt it, just as a measure of prevention from a big hassle.

-can those os's read the file system, folders, etc on cds created by xp?

-should i do the encryption with xp pro, or use an encryption program? i've never used the xp pro encryption tool, do you have to use xp pro to un encrypt it?

-i will not be able to un encrypt a cd that i encrypted with a windows program, on another os, right?

Hey Casek,

My bittorrent client won't work..I have azerus (sp?) and I use OS X, anyways torrents appear in my downloads folder I send them to the client and it appears to be downloading and then seeding but the file never shows up..what is the deal?

hmmm lets see so you download the torrent file and it shows up in the download folder correct? now have you checked if you have the same foder checked to have the downloaded files to go into the same folder as the torrents i dont know a damn thing about MACS but is there a search you can do to search for a filename that you downloaded and check if its there?

im just speaking out my ass so this may look dumb lol :nope: :o

yeah..if I do a search the torrent file shows up in the downloads folder but not the actual file..even though it appears as if I downloaded and seeded the file..it will actually show up in my bittorrent client (azareus) as seeding and/or downloading..shits weird..ah well..hopefully i'll figure it out..usually do

I'm not sure if anyone here could help me with this particular situation or not, but id like to get some input from people who have experience in my situation.

I'm currently running a pretty shitty PC that was really nice about 3-4 years ago. here are the specs:

Dell; windows XP;

2.40 ghz pentium 4with 533,hz system bus and 512k l2 cache

256mb rd ram (weaak)

30gb hard drive

now im looking to either upgrade, or get a new computer for college. I'm going to be majoring in graphic design so that is what my computer will be used for 98% of the time. Many people have told me mac is the way to go when it comes to graphic design. I've used a pc for about 4 years and thats all the real experience i have with computers so im not sure about macs. I run photoshop illustrator and mozzilla at the same time a lot (or i try to...) and due to my weakass 256mb of rdram my computer runs like complete shit. So I'm looking to make it not run like shit.

I was looking at the imac 17" with 2ghz g5 1.5gb of ram, 160gb hd which im pretty sure would suffice. The problem is it would be about $2000 for this. But for me to upgrade my pc to about the same specs it would only cost around $500-600.

so what im asking is if you think it is worth it to spend the extra money and save for a mac instead of upgrading my existing pc for what im going to be using it for. And if suggesting the mac which one do you think would be the best, because i know the imac hasnt been around that long so im not sure if any problems would come from them since the whole computer is in the monitor (im sure apple would screw you over on repair for even fixing the monitor)

thanks to anyone who can give me any help. i appreciate it.

i agree with the upgrades casek said sense you are just starting out. but if yer gonna be going into the graphics im not really sure if you want to stick with IBM compatible my option would be to go with a CRAPPLE lol no offence Apple people they are good machines....... lol

before you go buy upgrades if you do so, be sure that the motherboard is able to take them.

imho, The apple machine is going to offer you protection from spyware, virtually no crashes, and a really pretty GUI..OS X as an operating platform is really common sense based, imo, and a hellavu lot less covoluted than windows..but is buying an apple going to make you a better designer?..no..so if you want cheaper, go with the upgrades or even better a new pc..

holla...

(see i'm objective..cuz I use an ibook for all my shiznit..)

^O^ "steve jobs aint' got shit on me!!1"