spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

well, inspired by a TV ad and stolen from the Dictionary of Problem Words and Expressions by Harry Shaw...

Habeas Corpus: Translated literally from Latin it means "You have the body." In English usage habeas corpus is a writ (written order) designed to secure the realease of someone from unlawful restraint.

In his first innaugural address, Jefferson refered to "freedom of person(s) under under the protection of the habeas corpus."

The term is pronounced:

HA-bee-us COR-pus

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apology

SYLLABICATION: a·pol·o·gy

PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: -pl-j KEY

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. a·pol·o·gies

1. An acknowledgment expressing regret or asking pardon for a fault or offense.

2a. A formal justification or defense. b. An explanation or excuse: “The consequence of those measures will be the best apology for my conduct” (Daniel Defoe).

3. An inferior substitute: The sagging cot was a poor apology for a bed.

ETYMOLOGY: Latin apologia, from Greek apologi : apo-, apo- + logos, speech; see leg- in Appendix I.

Hey My bad I didnt think you were serious...

Originally posted by cracked ass

ACCEPT vs. EXCEPT

This one should be easy, because they are different parts of speech. ACCEPT is only a verb.

I accept your invitation.

Please accept my apology.

EXCEPT is usually used as a preposition (or is it an adjective? I'm always vague on what to call modifiers like that.)

In any case, I know how to use it.

I'll take them all except for the banner red.

We're all ready except for Jason.

The only possible confusion stems from the fact that EXCEPT can be used as a verb, but not many on this board would do so. (I'm not condescending to you, either - I never use "except" as a verb, I've only heard it from people who sounded kind of stuffy anyway.) As a verb it means to exclude. "Fine sir, I would be delighted to purchase all of your Krylon cans, but I must except those with no pressure, as they are not functional." That means he doesn't want to buy the dead cans.

I accept

Originally posted by Smart

and you have a damnable habit of being obliquley relevant sometimes, so... you got that goin for ya... quit war posting bullshit in threads though

Me :(

"Clowns to the left of me,

Jokers to the right. Here I am,

stuck in the middle with you."

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

Stuck in my head now...

YOU CAN MAKE A BREAK

YOU CAN WIN OR LOSE

BUT THAT'S THE CHANCE YOU TAKE

WHEN THE HEAT'S ON YOU

Ive now got the sax riff from this song firmly entrenched in me noggin...

fuuuuck!!!!!

Originally posted by Smart

I'm starting a betting pool...

How many will have to be banned before everyone learns?

Close to 20. Remember that time those puregraffiti fags came on here and they kept posting topics.... and bumping everything down the list. And fuckers: don't get any slick ideas.

Guest diggity
Originally posted by ToYs

FIRST!

oh wait...

7 entries found for first.

first __ (_P_)__Pronunciation Key__(fûrst)

n.

1. The ordinal number matching the number one in a series.

2. The one coming, occurring, or ranking before or above all others.

3. The beginning; the outset: from the first; at first.

4. Music. The voice or instrument highest in pitch or carrying the principal part.

5. The transmission gear or corresponding gear ratio used to produce the range of lowest drive speeds in a motor vehicle.

6. The winning position in a contest: finished the season in first.

7. Baseball.

a. First base.

b. A first baseman.

adj.

1. Corresponding in order to the number one.

2. Coming before all others in order or location: the first house on your left.

3. Occurring or acting before all others in time; earliest: the first day of spring.

4. Ranking above all others, as in importance or quality; foremost: was first in the class.

5. Music. Being highest in pitch or carrying the principal part: first trumpet.

6. Of, relating to, or being the transmission gear or corresponding gear ratio used to produce the range of lowest drive speeds in a motor vehicle.

7. Of, related to, or being a member of the U.S. president's household: first daughter Amy Carter.

adv.

1. Before or above all others in time, order, rank, or importance: arrived first; forgot to light the oven first.

2. For the first time.

3. Rather; preferably: would die first.

4. In the first place; to begin with. See Usage Note at firstly.

Idiom:

first off/thing

From the start; immediately: Why wasn't I told first off? When I get to work, I have to call my lawyer first thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old English fyrst. See per1 in Indo-European Roots.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

[buy it]

first

First, a. [OE. first, furst, AS. fyrst; akin to Icel. fyrstr, Sw. & Dan. f["o]rste, OHG. furist, G. f["u]rst prince; a superlatiye form of E. for, fore. See For, Fore, and cf. Formeer, Foremost.] 1. Preceding all others of a series or kind; the ordinal of one; earliest; as, the first day of a month; the first year of a reign.

2. Foremost; in front of, or in advance of, all others.

3. Most eminent or exalted; most excellent; chief; highest; as, Demosthenes was the first orator of Greece.

At first blush. See under Blush.

At first hand, from the first or original source; without the intervention of any agent.

It is the intention of the person to reveal it at first hand, by way of mouth, to yourself. --Dickens.

First coat (Plastering), the solid foundation of coarse stuff, on which the rest is placed; it is thick, and crossed with lines, so as to give a bond for the next coat.

First day, Sunday; -- so called by the Friends.

First floor. (a) The ground floor. [u.S.] (B) The floor next above the ground floor. [Eng.]

First fruit or fruits. (a) The fruits of the season earliest gathered. (B) (Feudal Law) One year's profits of lands belonging to the king on the death of a tenant who held directly from him. © (Eng. Eccl. Law) The first year's whole profits of a benefice or spiritual living. (d) The earliest effects or results.

See, Father, what first fruits on earth are sprung From thy implanted grace in man! --Milton.

First mate, an officer in a merchant vessel next in rank to the captain.

First name, same as Christian name. See under Name, n.

First officer (Naut.), in the merchant service, same as First mate (above).

First sergeant (Mil.), the ranking non-commissioned officer in a company; the orderly sergeant. --Farrow.

First watch (Naut.), the watch from eight to twelve at midnight; also, the men on duty during that time.

First water, the highest quality or purest luster; -- said of gems, especially of diamond and pearls.

Syn: Primary; primordial; primitive; primeval; pristine; highest; chief; principal; foremost.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

first

First, adv. Before any other person or thing in time, space, rank, etc.; -- much used in composition with adjectives and participles.

Adam was first formed, then Eve. --1 Tim. ii. 13.

At first, At the first, at the beginning or origin.

First or last, at one time or another; at the beginning or end.

And all are fools and lovers first or last. --Dryden.

first

First, n. (Mus.) The upper part of a duet, trio, etc., either vocal or instrumental; -- so called because it generally expresses the air, and has a pre["e]minence in the combined effect.

first

adj 1: preceding all others in time or space or degree; "the first house on the right"; "the first day of spring"; "his first political race"; "her first baby"; "the first time"; "the first meetings of the new party"; "the first phase of his training" [ant: last, intermediate] 2: indicating the beginning unit in a series [syn: 1st] 3: serving to set in motion; "the magazine's inaugural issue"; "the initiative phase in the negotiations"; "an initiatory step toward a treaty"; "his first (or maiden) speech in Congress"; "the liner's maiden voyage" [syn: inaugural, initiative, initiatory, maiden] 4: serving to begin; "the beginning canto of the poem"; "the first verse" [syn: beginning(a)] 5: ranking above all others; "was first in her class"; "the foremost figure among marine artists"; "the top graduate" [syn: foremost, top(a)] 6: (music) highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections; "first soprano"; "the first violin section"; "played first horn" [ant: second] 7: being the gear producing the lowest drive speed; "use first gear on steep hills" [syn: low] n 1: the first or highest in an ordering or series: "He wanted to be the first" [syn: number one] 2: the first element in a countable series; "the first of the month" [syn: number one, number 1] 3: the time at which something begins; "They got an early start" [syn: beginning, commencement, outset, start, kickoff, starting time, offset] [ant: middle, end] 4: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first base [syn: first base] 5: (Great Britain) an honours degree of the highest class [syn: first-class honours degree] 6: the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving [syn: first gear, low gear, low] adv 1: before anything else; "first we must consider the garter snake" [syn: firstly, foremost, first of all, first off] 2: the initial time; "when Felix first saw a garter snake" [syn: for the first time] 3: before another in time, space, or importance; "I was here first"; "let's do this job first" 4: prominently forward; "he put his best foot foremost" [syn: foremost]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

first

FIRST: in Acronym Finder

Source: Acronym Finder, © 1988-2001 Mountain Data Systems

first

first: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary

Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB

Archived