spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laugh and a half

As a rookie member I decided to read the entire thread before I made a post. I will also be sure to proof read all my posts to ensure that your standards are met. *lol*

The only grammatical or typing error that is common in all posts (bear with me while I nit-pick) is the lack of a double space after each sentence. Correct paragraph organization calls for two spaces at the conclusion of a sentence.

However, since I am being about as picky as possible I'll shut up now.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i picked up the dictionary, flipped through the pages and this is what i came up with.

spout

v. spout·ed, spout·ing, spouts

v. intr.

To gush forth in a rapid stream or in spurts.

To discharge a liquid or other substance continuously or in spurts.

Informal. To speak volubly and tediously.

v. tr.

To cause to flow or spurt out.

To utter volubly and tediously.

Chiefly British. To pawn.

n.

A tube, mouth, or pipe through which liquid is released or discharged.

A continuous stream of liquid.

The burst of spray from the blowhole of a whale.

Chiefly British. A pawnshop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English spouten, ultimately of imitative origin.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spouter n.

spout

Spout, v. i. 1. To issue with with violence, or in a jet, as a liquid through a narrow orifice, or from a spout; as, water spouts from a hole; blood spouts from an artery.

All the glittering hill Is bright with spouting rills. --Thomson.

2. To eject water or liquid in a jet.

3. To utter a speech, especially in a pompous manner.

spout

Spout, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Spouted; p. pr. & vb. n. Spouting.] [Cf. Sw. sputa, spruta, to spout, D. spuit a spout, spuiten to spout, and E. spurt, sprit, v., sprout, sputter; or perhaps akin to E. spit to eject from the mouth.] 1. To throw out forcibly and abudantly, as liquids through an office or a pipe; to eject in a jet; as, an elephant spouts water from his trunk.

Who kept Jonas in the fish's maw Till he was spouted up at Ninivee? --Chaucer.

Next on his belly floats the mighty whale . . . He spouts the tide. --Creech.

2. To utter magniloquently; to recite in an oratorical or pompous manner.

Pray, spout some French, son. --Beau. & Fl.

3. To pawn; to pledge; as, spout a watch. [Cant]

spout

Spout, n. [Cf. Sw. spruta a squirt, a syringe. See Spout, v. t.] 1. That through which anything spouts; a discharging lip, pipe, or orifice; a tube, pipe, or conductor of any kind through which a liquid is poured, or by which it is conveyed in a stream from one place to another; as, the spout of a teapot; a spout for conducting water from the roof of a building. --Addison. ``A conduit with three issuing spouts.'' --Shak.

In whales . . . an ejection thereof [water] is contrived by a fistula, or spout, at the head. --Sir T. Browne.

From silver spouts the grateful liquors glide. --Pope.

2. A trough for conducting grain, flour, etc., into a receptacle.

3. A discharge or jet of water or other liquid, esp. when rising in a column; also, a waterspout.

To put, shove, or pop, up the spout, to pawn or pledge at a pawnbroker's; -- in allusion to the spout up which the pawnbroker sent the ticketed articles. [Cant]

spout

n : an opening that allows the passage of liquids or grain v 1: gush forth in a sudden stream or jet of liquids [syn: spurt, spirt, gush] 2: talk in a noisy, excited, or declamatory manner [syn: rant, mouth off, jabber, rabbit on, rave]

• 1 month later...

bump

Main Entry: all right

Function: adjective

Date: 1701

1 : SATISFACTORY, AGREEABLE <whatever you decide is all right with me>

2 : SAFE, WELL <he was ill but he's all right now>

3 : GOOD, PLEASING -- often used as a generalized term of approval <an all right guy>

usage see ALRIGHT

Main Entry: al·right

Pronunciation: (")ol-'rIt, 'ol-"

Function: adverb or adjective

Date: 1887

: ALL RIGHT

usage The one-word spelling alright appeared some 75 years after all right itself had reappeared from a 400-year-long absence. Since the early 20th century some critics have insisted alright is wrong, but it has its defenders and its users. It is less frequent than all right but remains in common use especially in journalistic and business publications. It is quite common in fictional dialogue, and is used occasionally in other writing <the first two years of medical school were alright -- Gertrude Stein>.

Archived