spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

yo cracked ass...yeah, i think my reply was pretty "toung & cheek" (<----accuracy of that idiom?) but necessary none the less. i think we all know who got past 10th grade and who didn't *wink*.

as for the blatant misspelllings...i saw a good one recently...theres a new-ish (its all relative- im pretty new) member whose name is "johnny bravo" , but spelled JHONNY BRAVO. immediately, i'm like, how could you spell you freakin NAME wrong??? oh well.

if u kant beet 'um goin, 'em.

write?

;)

NISE, THIS IS THE LAW.

"toung & cheek" ?????

is this a joke? the correct expression is "TONGUE IN cheek". There were TWO mistakes there. THE LAW is convicting you of 2 counts of incorrect English usage. Sentencing will occur on Oct. 31, at which time you may appeal the decision of the court. THE LAW suggests that you employ a competent defense attorney. Although THE LAW is fair and just, he is also tough.

In addition, THE LAW recognizes your existence but does not know you personally. You are a crewmate of a crewmate. That narrows it down a bit, eh?? hahaha.

now back to your regularly scheduled program.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest THE LAW

YOUR (yr, yôr, yr; yr when unstressed)

adj. The possessive form of you.

Used as a modifier before a noun: your boots; your accomplishments.

A person's; one's: The light switch is on your right.

Informal. Used with little or no sense of possession to indicate a type familiar to the listener: your basic three-story frame house.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU'RE (yr; yr when unstressed)

Contraction of you are.

GET IT?

examples:

-YOU'RE a complete moron

-you flushed YOUR dignity down the toilet when you messed around with the crack.

if you can substitute YOU ARE in place of YOUR...YOU'RE WRONG

DIG?

Guest imported_El Mamerro
live98.gif <----- His name is spelled Gheorghe Muresan, even if it looks fucked up. Just in case we ever discuss this fellow.

that was just a case of a typo, not mispelling. but i make no attempts to hide the fact i cant spell for shit. im the type of moron that mispells simple words like beer and bear. i just never learned the lessons pertaining to such word. and what makes it worse, is that conversationaly, im an above average speaker, so i get really fucked up when i type, becuase i type words wrong that most people dont even bother to use, but those that do use them, also know how to spell them. damnit it all to hell. im getting better though, i make my girlfriends correct my emails and stuff.

seeking/cold fingers

Guest THE LAW

seeking, don't make it too easy on 'em.

MISSPELL (ms-spl)

tr.v. mis·spelled, or mis·spelt (-splt) mis·spell·ing, mis·spells

To spell incorrectly.

Re: Re: a related topic

Originally posted by cracked ass

The only thing that annoys me about that sign, and others I've seen like it, is that "sorry" is in quotes. Quotation marks are used to indicate that somebody else said it first, and you are quoting them. So who said "sorry" first, that the sign maker was quoting?

yes, or perhaps the quotes denote sarcasm... but none of this was rage, I was along for the ride so I was just killing time, in the dullest possible way... still, I get peeved about misused quotation marks

About the words "your" and"you're"...

On the old dozen oz, the front page read "Creepin' while your sleeping"<---notice the"your"(maybe it was quoting from its original source...I don't know.)

Thought I'd point it out in here, since nobody noticed it anywhere else I posted it.

ps."The Law" talks like "The Rock". haha

Don't forget about spacing....Two spaces after ending punctuation. One space after a comma.

This topic is funny.

<- - - - -(")- - -(")

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by and now you choke

speaking in third person is DEFINITELY fucking annoying after the first couple of times.

good show, chokeman!

as for the two spaces thing, THE LAW could care less. The last he heard was two spaces for IBM computers and one on a MAC, but that was in the 80's. The rules have undoubtedly changed since then because that was a really stupid rule.

Anecdote:

-When THE LAW was 7 or 8 and first learned how to use what is now his favorite puntuation, the semi colon, he couldn't figure out how many spaces to put after it. This was because it's a stronger interrupting device than a comma, but not as strong as a period. Of course it's obvious to us all now, but at the time it was baffling. What a precocious young tot THE LAW was.

Guest cracked ass

AAARGH!! I must pull THE LAW's card for perpetuating a horrific crime against the English language: "I could care less."

If you could care less, then you do care, to an unknown degree, because there is room on the concern-o-meter for you to be even less interested. To show complete disinterest, you must say "I COULDN'T care less."

That is perhaps the second most irritating case of mangled sayings. The one that throws me into a rage is the perversion of "vicious circle". Everyone (except me) says "vicious cycle" now, which is ignorant and wrong. It is even more ignorant and wrong to say "Well, cycle is almost the same thing as circle, so what's the problem?" :mad: :heated:

Guest THE LAW

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

the anecdote was good though...right?

see...everybody can learn something here. even THE LAW.

Originally posted by pacman

About the words "your" and"you're"...

On the old dozen oz, the front page read "Creepin' while your sleeping"<---notice the"your"(maybe it was quoting from its original source...I don't know.)

Thought I'd point it out in here, since nobody noticed it anywhere else I posted it.

ps."The Law" talks like "The Rock". haha

Don't forget about spacing....Two spaces after ending punctuation. One space after a comma.

This topic is funny.

<- - - - -(")- - -(")

Regarding punctuation, the correct spacing around ellipses is as follows:

"The book stated that 'the young man's . . . balls were on fire.'"

Note the space after each period and the correct usage of quotation marks denoting a quote within a quote.

Rock on.

okay, cracked, thanks for clearing up my confusion. i guess one postitve thing came out of graff... i was confusing the possesive thing with the plural possessive which is obviously never applicable.

and Smart, do you think i'm stupid enough to assume that my professors' letting it slide and the fact that i have a degree is a validation for me being correct? :rolleyes: i was only pointing out why i had a good reason to be confused. i was very open to cracked's explanation. i simply confused the rule that you could never have its' and mistook it for it's. your assumption of my lack of logic only indicates your lack of logic.

Originally posted by bug

and Smart, do you think i'm stupid enough to assume that my professors' letting it slide and the fact that i have a degree is a validation for me being correct? :rolleyes: i was only pointing out why i had a good reason to be confused. i was very open to cracked's explanation. i simply confused the rule that you could never have its' and mistook it for it's. your assumption of my lack of logic only indicates your lack of logic.

no dude, I was pointing out that you based your previous argument on weak reasoning, now it just seems like you're whining. I can smoke 1000 joints and stil not be confused about the legality of the issue, I can push on 1000 doors that say 'pull' and still be left outside... and how exactly am I to logically discern what is happening in your head? Your cognition is privvy to you alone, I can't understand how you will fuck up, I merely pointed out that you did. Doing so revealed no faults in my thought processes, only the glaring faults in yours...

basically, dude, just say, 'ooops I'm an idiot, cracked was right' and leave me the flock out of it

yes, i totally undestood what you meant the first time. i'm only saying that i didn't use that reason to say i was right, only saying why i was confused. you're initial response suggested the former while i meant the latter.

Guest THE LAW

as promised...

this one's complicated, so read carefully.

THERE

(thâr)

adv.

At or in that place: sit over there.

To, into, or toward that place: wouldn't go there again.

At that stage, moment, or point: Stop there before you make any more mistakes.

In that matter: I can't agree with him there.

pron.

Used to introduce a clause or sentence: There are numerous items. There must be another exit.

Used to indicate an unspecified person in direct address: Hello there.

adj.

Used especially for emphasis after the demonstrative pronoun that or those, or after a noun modified by the demonstrative adjective that or those: That person there ought to know the directions to town.

Nonstandard. Used for emphasis between a demonstrative adjective meaning “that” or “those” and a noun: No one is sitting at that there table. Them there beans ought to be picked.

n.

That place or point: stopped and went on from there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

THERE'S

contraction of THERE and IS...not to be confused with THEIRS

-------------------------------------------------------------------

THEIR

(thâr)

adj. The possessive form of they.

Used as a modifier before a noun: their accomplishments; their home town.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEY'RE

(thâr)

Contraction of they are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

.COMMENTARY BY THE LAW:

THERE, THEIR and THEY'RE are completely different words. They ARE NOT to be used interchangeably. here's how to use them:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

THERE

you see that THERE can be used as four different parts of speech, although THE LAW would rarely if ever use it as an adjective in any formal writing....you will be using THERE most of the time.

examples:

-You dropped your crack over there.

-There is a strategy to beating "Pitfall 2: Lost Caverns."

-The $1.50 PBR's there cannot be beat.

THERE'S

only use this when you can substitute it with "there is." ONLY!

example:

-There's a pipe on the back of the building you can climb up.

THEIR/THEIRS

a good way to remember how to use this one is that you can only use this word to show possession. It is very similar to HIS/HERS or ITS.

example:

-I'm sick and tired of their dog peeing on my leg.

-The dog peeing on my leg right now is theirs.

THEY'RE

you can ONLY use this word as a substitute for "THEY ARE"

example:

-They're completely wrong.

open for questions now.

open for corrections from cracked.

Archived