Are all hicks republicans?

hobo knife

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds very stereotypical... saying every redneck or hick is ignorant, or unschooled. Not every redneck is unschooled or illiterate. But I do agree many rednecks do vote for the Republican party. Many reasons are because the Republican party is very into keeping the old values, which is why they are against new ideas like stem cell research or abortion. I don't know, just something to think about. But i didn't mean to start any controversy or beef...

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by dojafx@Oct 22 2004, 08:24 AM

Seeking, what john kerry says and what he does are two different things

in 2003 he sponsored a bill that would make pretty much ALL semi auto rifles and shotguns illegal

check the bill out: Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003

kerry is trying to curtail rights

so is bush

fuck them both

Roger Callero for president 2004

From your link:

To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

there all a bunch of yaley scull and bones mother fuckers anyway... i mean what kind of secret society has its members sop in the middle of what there doi, mid-sentence even, and leave the room if it is even mentioned? tell me that aint fucked up shit. there needs to be a ligitimate working class 3rd party, and until we get one its the lesser of 2 evils...

all the talk of kerry being pro gun... i ask...

please examine his record. look at his votes. dont use Kerry out goose hunting as your documentation. if he is a great hunter why did he co sponser legislation to ban many popular center fire cartridges, popular in deer hunting? one thing interesting is that the NRA gives him an F, and anti hunting and animal rights groups give kerry a 100% approval rating. atleast they both agree. now y'all can slice and dice me because i know its not cool to be under 25 and not be a michael moore lover.

as to the original question, all hicks arent republican. i just came back from the deep south and found as many kerry signs as bush signs. Kabar's post about the south or "hicks" being historically democrat is very relevant. alot of old people still hold on to the i hate republicans but have more conservative values than most modern day republicans.

a few reasons why "hicks" are sometimes republican, is because the modern republican party holds conservative values. they are largely pro gun anti abortion etc etc etc. alot of "hicks" are very morally conservative, and dont like alot of new ideas hence many vote republican.

by the way:

Glen Burton and Tommy Araya in 04.

Okay, Seeking, I re-read a couple of your posts, and although I felt like I answered your questions, apparently you don't feel that I did. Not that I am obligated to answer them, of course, but let me give it another try.

A.) I do not support John Kerry because he supports and believes in a number of national policies, laws and social tendencies with which I do not agree. He is, by his own definition, a liberal. Like all politicians, he thinks he knows better whats good for us than we do ourselves. I disagree. I believe that a smaller government is better than a larger one. I think individuals should take care of themselves, and not be dependent on the government very much. I believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution, and I do not support any additions to or subtractions from the Constitution, except minor changes as technology makes such changes advisable. I do not support the idea of activist judges, or an activist Supreme Court. I believe in a strong national defense. I am opposed to the idea that only "the professionals" have a legitimate role in law enforcement, firefighting, medicene, engineering and so forth. I believe that there is only ONE MILITIA, as defined in Title 10, Section 311 and other places in the United States Code, as amended. If you read the law, you will clearly see that this law DOES NOT define the National Guard as "the Militia." (Our armed forces are becoming more and more a professional mercenary force, backed up by a very large National Guard. This is a really bad idea. Universal military training would be far preferable, exposing virtually all young American men to combat arms training, not that any major political party has the guts to suggest it.)

(And like it or not, if you are older than 17, you are already a member of the Militia, according to Federal law.)

B.) Mr. Kerry has a long established record of voting against the Second Amendment, and his photo op pictures with a dead goose don't change that one bit. I do not trust him, nor do I trust the Democratic Party any longer to defend the Second Amendment. I used to vote Democratic when I was young. Not anymore.

C.) Most of the issues that Mr. Kerry and the Democrats feel are vitally important do not speak to me. I'm not all that worried about Roe v. Wade, I doubt seriously that anything will change in this regard, just as you are apparently unconcerned about the possibility of Congress re-newing the assault weapons ban. You have your interests, I have mine.

I don't think that government should be in the marriage business AT ALL. I don't think that they should be in any position to say whether or not anyone marries or does not marry. I think the very idea of a "marriage license" is exceedingly offensive. The real issue here, in my opinion, is connected to insurance companies--death benefits, survivor benefits, health insurance, etc. for gay people. Homosexuals and lesbians have been exchanging vows and rings in private ceremonies for years, and that is not likely to change. So the real issue seems to be "benefits" and inheritance. I think people ought to be able to marry whomever they please, and that government should butt out. Government interferes in people's personal business FAR too much already.

I am concerned about the environment, and I think the U.S. has too many cars, and too many industries that pollute; but electing one presidential candidate over another is not likely to change that. Creating a culture that prefers public transportation and bicycles over cars is a bigger task than is going to be accomplished by any of the candidates. The U.S. has 5% of the world's population, and consumes the vast majority of the world's energy. So long as people have the money and the desire to own cars and trucks and motorcycles, they will have them. Ask China--they will soon surpass us as the world's largest consumer of petroleum and the world's biggest polluter. (Good! Then everybody can bitch about them, instead of bitching about us.)

I do not support everything the Republicans advocate, but like everything else, they have their good points and their bad points. You give George Bush far too much credit for all the bad things that are occurring. He's just a mouthpiece for a powerful segment of the ruling class. So is Mr. Kerry, but he represents a different powerful segment of the ruling class. Basically, it's like two groups of rich kids arguing over who is going to be class president, while the rest of us trudge off to algebra class. Who wins is less important to me than that I get to do what I want to do. The fewer rules, the better.

I'm sorry if you don't like my opinions, or rather, that I do not necessarily agree with all of your opinions. That's the breaks. Don't forget to vote for the Elector of your choice. LOL. I voted already--early voting. I voted all Republican, unless there was a Libertarian candiadte running. If there was a Libertarian candidate for judge or school board or whatever, I voted for them. Not that they will win, but it just feels better than voting for the Republican along with 85% of the rest of Texas.

And now we get to see, what, eight days from now, who the Supreme Court wants for President. "Union and Constitution Forever!" LOL.

Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 25 2004, 04:46 PM

Who wins is less important to me than that I get to do what I want to do. The fewer rules, the better.

that just sounds selfish and irresponsible.

as a member of this society you should feel obligated to have a sense of social responsibility.

from your posts it sounds as though you view government as a waste of money and an oppressing force. you have to realize that the government deals with millions more people than just you, and hoping all of your own wishes be appeased is just unrealistic and naive. if some government program doesnt affect you, this does not mean it is ineffective. the role of the government should be to raise the quality of life for as many of its citizens as possible. which does NOT mean just letting everyone do whatever they want to do. people are inherently selfish, but this isn't a quality that should be reinforced, especially not on the national level. it would be great if everyone could just do whatever they wanted to do, enjoying all the benefits of modern society. BUT THIS IS INCREDIBLY UNREALISTIC.

maybe this will make more sense;

from Theatre of War, by lewis lapham:

When writing the Declaration of Independence Thomas Jefferson also had in mind a "just and solid republican government" held together by citizens who recognized their obligation to the common good and so agreed--in the interest of their own safety as well as that of the republic--to leave some of the wishes at the bottom of the well. The assumption doesn't make much sense to a society composed of citizens in name only, "ostensible citizens" united by little else except the possession of a credit card and a password to the internet.

...No commonwealth or decent form of democratic government (no matter how heavily armed with cruise missiles and well equipped with tax exemptions) can defend itself against the raids of freebooting moral entrepreneurs and self-proclaimed kings. [Edmund] Burke put the proposition as follows: "Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without."

Kabar.

I do not support everything the Republicans advocate, but like everything else, they have their

good points and their bad points. You give George Bush far too much credit for all the bad things

that are occurring. He's just a mouthpiece for a powerful segment of the ruling class. So is Mr.

Kerry, but he represents a different powerful segment of the ruling class. Basically, it's like two

groups of rich kids arguing over who is going to be class president, while the rest of us trudge off to

algebra class.

i totally agree. no major party will represent the majority of our country, the middle class and the poor.

vote peace and freedom party.

http://www.peaceandfreedom.org/Platform.htm

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 25 2004, 08:46 AM

A.) I do not support John Kerry because he supports and believes in a number of national policies, laws and social tendencies with which I do not agree.

I believe that a smaller government is better than a larger one.

Bush did nothing to cut government involvement or agencies, he simply didn't fund some while putting billions more into the military

I think individuals should take care of themselves, and not be dependent on the government very much.

Bush does beleive this too...too bad he doesn't see corporations in the same light

I believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution, and I do not support any additions to or subtractions from the Constitution, except minor changes as technology makes such changes advisable.

HOW ABOUT THE PATRIOT ACT FOR THOSE DER RIGHTS OF YA'LLS

I do not support the idea of activist judges, or an activist Supreme Court. I believe in a strong national defense.

I am certain George Bush would not put any of these on the surpreme court. He has not put any right wing judges in other key positions. His cabinet too is a shining example of fair and balanced individuals seeking to serve their country not personal interests

I am opposed to the idea that only "the professionals" have a legitimate role in law enforcement, firefighting, medicene, engineering and so forth.

I will perform my first surgery on you and than I will build a bridge and you may cross it first. I will than arrest you...

I believe that there is only ONE MILITIA, as defined in Title 10, Section 311 and other places in the United States Code, as amended. If you read the law, you will clearly see that this law DOES NOT define the National Guard as "the Militia."

I do agree with you and agree that this is neccesary to ensure our freedoms. I just wish you could see that the republican agenda of increasing military strength and corporate participation while limiting privacy and personal freedoms is exactly why we need this. I'm not naive, the democrats are not the best answer either but still...

I think the very idea of a "marriage license" is exceedingly offensive. The real issue here, in my opinion, is connected to insurance companies--death benefits, survivor benefits, health insurance, etc. for gay people. Homosexuals and lesbians have been exchanging vows and rings in private ceremonies for years, and that is not likely to change. So the real issue seems to be "benefits" and inheritance. I think people ought to be able to marry whomever they please, and that government should butt out. Government interferes in people's personal business FAR too much already.

Without a legal standard nothing would compel insurance companies to give anything to anyone related to the insured. It makes sense and is only fair, in the vein of lessening government intervention, to extend the right to gay couples. this does not obligate religious organizations, but provided equal protection under the law

Embedded are some of my responces to this essay. I was too lazy to disect and quote you one by one...regardless of my comments I think this was one of your most clear and articulated explanations of your opinions...

I didn't even read this, sorry, MANY other priorities at the moment but soon I should be up in this forum on the regs but...

My... um... observation is that all these confederate flag sticker having republican voting sons of stump fuckers ARE NOT REBELS!

You can't rebel if you suck the W dick!

From the looks of things at the early voting last Saturday at our local branch of the Houston Public Library there is going to be a HUGE voter turn-out. I would estimate 65 to 70% of the eligible registered voters, maybe more. Election Day should prove to be a huge cluster fuck, with fifty zillion people showing up to vote all at the same time. If you want to save yourself a lot of headaches, VOTE EARLY.

There were at least 150 people in line ahead of me. The line snaked all around the Library's lobby and out the door. I waited in line nearly two hours to vote. Houston now uses those computer voting machines. They SUCK. I liked the old-fashioned ones with the big red lever that went KA-THUNK when you voted. Of course, they were very expensive, not to mention heavy as shit. And they broke pretty often, because they were mechanical.

Next to the old mechanical voting machines, I'd rather have a paper ballot to mark with a Sharpie. Too much trouble to count by hand, though.

From what I understand the whole "confederate flag waving sons of stump fuckers" are a pretty diverse group. as said before the republicans are the biggest party with the most conservative value so alot of those guys swing toward bush.

another thing to remember is there are a few different types of "confederate flag waving sons of stump fuckers." you have people that just think im a redneck, im from the south, that is a sign of the south hell yeah im gonna fly that flag. on the bigger scope of things Hank Williams Jr, Lynyrd Skynyrd, even now im sure Kid Rock etc etc, all rock the confederate flag as an image of the south and being country. they are not racists. i mean you have writers from the south putting up "the dixie iron fist"(sigh), "dixie rebel" etc etc. im most sure they are not racist and want slavery and all the other stuff most people think of when they hear stuff like that.

then you have so called "neo confederates" who pretty much hate both parties (repub or dem) and either vote for some weird party or vote republican just so a liberal wont get into office. they view themselves as "true conservatives" who hate gay marriage, abortion, immigration etc etc etc.

just some thoughts.

kabar,

the problem is not that we disagree, the problem is that you are incredibly evasive when questioned. you pick and chose the topics you can give sermons about and ignore the others. even in the reply you gave, it's still completely empty. you just gave pointed rhetoric for each question, but very little of it was based in reality. you talk about not supporting a candidate that wants to ammend the constitution. dude, bush is the ONLY candidate who is OPENLY trying to amend the constitution to LIMIT the freedoms of american people. even if kerry is anti-assault weapon, he's still not trying to change the constitution.

see, the problem man, is that everything you preach and everything you 'believe' in, is completely empty because it's not based in fact. if you were to look at the facts, kerry is far more of everything you want than bush is, but still you buy into some bullshit propoganda about republicans wanting smaller govt. with less intervention in peoples lives. that is flat out bullshit and anyone with half an ioda of intelligence and an open mind can see that.

whatever, im done.

Seeking, you are a difficult person to satisfy. Nevertheless, I tried. What your reply seems to boil down to is: 1.)Kerry doesn't want that, Bush wants that, 2.) My ideas are not based in reality (geez, that's kind of tough to counter, you know? It's like saying "Even though millions of people consider this an important issue, it doesn't mean shit") and 3.) I should support Mr. Kerry because he's going to really give me what I want, and Mr. Bush is lying to me..

Uh huh. Okay. Well, maybe the problem is my low expectations of government in general. Since I'm really just hoping they won't get much worse, it's difficult to be disappointed. Government seems to be a one-way deal. Every day, they are worse than the day before. Have you ever heard of "boiling the frog?"

"Boiling the frog" is a anti-gun strategy. Since they know that they cannot just seize all the guns (unless they want to really cause a shit storm), they have adopted a long-term strategy based on the dialectical two-step ("Two steps forward, one step back.") Frogs are amphibians. Their body temperature is dependant on the ambient temperature. If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, of course, he hops right back out. But if you start with a pan of room-temperature water and slowly heat it, he just sits there until he gets cooked.

In my opinion, this strategy is part and parcel of the left-wing/ liberal agenda. It may take years, but they are patient. If they just keep picking at it, eventually they will be able to unravel the fabric of the Second Amendment.

From their point of view, this is perfectly logical and acceptable, and anyone who disagrees or objects is "ignorant," and his ideas are "not based in reality," and "out of step with the majority in the mainstream, " and even "bigoted, prejudiced and racist."

The real question is "WHY?" Why are these social issues so important to the left? What is it that they are trying to accomplish? Why is it that they think these things are crucial to their plan? What IS the plan? Is there actually a plan, or is it just a particular orientation to life that causes them to want to alter life as we know it?

I can accept that the conservatives have a set of principles and a political playbook by which they guide political decisions. They have particular, well-defined goals in mind. If this is true for the conservatives, then it may very well be true for the left. The right makes no bones about "Defending the Second Amendment." Correspondingly, out of the public eye, the left makes no bones about "Getting the guns out of the hands of civilians." Regardless of any other issues, I would vote Republican (or Libertarian, if they could win,) just based on this one thing. If the Democrats want my vote, then they need to stop being the Anti-Gun Party, and not just pretend that their determination to see the nation disarmed is not an actual fact.

And I guess I, too, am done. Don't forget to VOTE.

Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 26 2004, 01:48 PM

Uh huh. Okay. Well, maybe the problem is my low expectations of government in general. Since I'm really just hoping they won't get much worse, it's difficult to be disappointed. Government seems to be a one-way deal. Every day, they are worse than the day before. Have you ever heard of "boiling the frog?"

okay, I hate to pick out one point of your last statement and analyze it...but since the Bush administration has taken office the government has hit ROCK BOTTOM. Name one good thing Bush has done while in office. He has completely raped the constitution with the patriot act, lead us into war through lies, given tens of billions of tax money to the top one percent.. ("his base")..lost jobs, ruined the economy....how can you possibly vote for him again just becuase you think kerry MIGHT tighten gun control, it's like your disregarding everything bush has done just because he "appeals" to gun owners...

..sorry if that sounded like ranting.

kabar,

i dont give a damn if you support kerry, i just want you to stop telling me something that has no basis in fact.

1. kerry wants to ban guns:

the assault weapon ban was a useless bill proposed to make the public think the govt. was doing something to protect us from a (then) rash of attacks on children and police officers by criminals with assault rifles. you know that and i know that. we also both know that bush openly said that he agreed with the ban and would have approved it if it came across his desk. so by his own word, bush wants to limit guns in the exact same way kerry does. and that 'way', we both know, is a complete facade anyway. so really, kerry is no more anti-gun than bush is.

what do you have to say to that?

2. liberals think they know whats best and want to dictate our lives:

PATRIOT ACT. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT ON MARRIAGE. ABORTION. CENSORSHIP.

how the hell can you say that liberals are acting like they know whats best, when it is the right wing that is constantly making all of its decisions based on a set of values that only they hold? this is why i get so pissed, because you spit this completely nonsequiter bullshit about what the left is doing, meanwhile the right is doing it to a far more vicious extent, but to you that's completely acceptible because they arent as vocal about taking away your guns. this is the shit i want you to acknowledge that you never do. i call you out on specific points, i offer a counter view and ask you to explain and you dont. you break into another speach. its ridiculous. if you dont want to 'answer' to me, then stop talking, because as long as you're putting yourself up on the soap box, im gonna be standing right next to you calling you out for the bullshit your talking.

if it was just a disagreement of opinion, i would let it go, but this isnt opinion, its fact. bush and his office have done more to limit the freedoms of americans than ANY other president. how can you keep ignoring that? how can you ignore their blatent attacks on our freedoms, and keep insisting on the evil of the left, meanwhile you have no examples other than that they want to take away your assault weapons. c'mon bro, use some common sense. the american public OVERWHELMINGLY believes that assault weapons should be outlawed. not the politicians, the people. and last time i checked, the country was ruled by the majority, not by what you and your gun toting pals think. republicans will respond to public outcry in the exact same way democrats will, bush proved that when he said he supported the ban.

there is more to life than guns kabar.

As you guys very well know, the Executive Branch does not write legislation. That is the baliwick of the Legislative Branch. As I have said before, I do not support the so-called Patriot Act, and I have never supported it. I thought it was a bad idea from the start. I am grateful that they don't seem to be using it much (yet), but I'm sure they will get around to it. In my opinion, the laws we already have on the books are more than adequate to investigate, indict, arrest and try terrorists.

In fact, one of my biggest pet peeves is that instead of encouraging the Executive Branch to enforce the laws we already have on the books, Congress insists on writing MORE laws. It's one of the most infuriating things about government. They do not see the Law or the Constitution as "permenant," or even semi-permenant. Whenever anybody decides they want to change something, they immediately start jacking around with the Law.

There was a time, before 1933, before the Federal government passed narcotics laws, that you could go to just about any pharmacy and buy morphine, cocaine, whatever. There were addicts, but they weren't much of a problem. Dope was cheap, legal, and "hopheads" were about as dangerous as winos are today. Marijuana was completely legal, and grew wild all over the Midwest (it still grows wild in Indiana, and other places.) Narcotics addiction was considered to be mainly a moral problem. Shooting morphine? Better start going to church more regularly.

Same thing with machineguns. Plenty of people owned Thompson submachineguns and Browning BAR's. You could buy them at hardware stores and sporting goods stores. Most guns did not even have serial numbers, any more than chain saws or power drills have serial numbers. In those days, people were not worried about the guns so much as they worried about the criminals that used them illegally. The largest owners of machinegun collections (then and now) were large corporations. Ford Motor Company is the largest single owner of legal machineguns in the U.S. Coal mining companies often owned many Thompsons. They used them to arm guards and "gun thugs" during strikes.

But, of course, all that changed when we got laws that established the U.S. Bureau of Narcotics, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (and today, Explosives), and so on. Each of these Federal agencies required a budget, and armies of "agents," a headquarters, branch offices and so on. Remember Elliott Ness and the "Untouchables?" Ness was one of the first agents of the Treasury Dept.'s "Alcohol Tax Unit." It eventually became today's BATF&E. In order to justify their existance, these agencies had to demonize the objects they existed to control. So Uncle Bob's machinegun suddenly became the tool of gangsters, and "caused" crime. Aunt Suzies laudnaum habit suddenly became the purview of "junkies" and "addicts."

The BATF&E is the second biggest collector of taxes in the U.S. government, right behind the IRS, mainly from alcohol and tobacco. They raise big money taxes, taxes that Congress is loathe to lose, so we can be pretty sure that they don't intend to disband the BATF&E or the DEA or the Department of Homeland Security anytime soon.

Mind you, machineguns were not a problem until the Government passed Prohibition, which created huge organized crime gangs overnight. They created the crime when they created the laws. The same thing is very true of the so-called "War on Drugs" today. One cannot prevent people from abusing drugs by passing a law against it. But you sure can make the drug trade a lot more profitable if you outlaw the product they sell.

Slowly but surely, they march towards a Orwellian future like in "1984," where "everything is against the law" and any time they want to arrest you, they can, because it is impossible to exist without breaking a few laws.

The Republicans are certainly not innocent in this scenario. BOTH PARTIES indulge in this hyperbole, where they demonize the other side and tout their policies as the panacea. And seemingly, both sides display the unbelieveable arrogance necessary to rule.

I saw Bill Clinton on TV, holding hands with Mr. Kerry. I'm sure many of you guys miss Clinton, but to me, and my friends, he will always be the Butcher of Waco. The fact that so many people cheered him made me feel ill. It was like watching Kerry hold hands with Eichmann.

I'm reading a book right now that says that at the peak of the militia movement, shortly after the OKC bombing, the FBI estimated between 900,000 and 1,000,000 people were in organized militia groups. The largest number I had ever read before that was 90,000, and I was pretty impressed even with that number.

The country is severely polarized right now. Whomever wins the election, he needs to scuttle back to the middle as soon as he can. If Kerry wins, and I think he has a very good chance of doing so, I hope that he has the good sense to not provoke the right. But, I sometimes think that the left WANTS to foment a vicious struggle.

Bush may talk about things like supporting the assault weapons ban, but it's empty talk. He knows very well that there is insufficient political support to re-new that bill. Even if it passed the Senate (which is doubtful) it would NEVER pass in the House. Him saying he supports the AWB is equivalent to Kerry going goose hunting--pure bullshit.

Guest KING BLING
Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 26 2004, 10:51 PM

But, I sometimes think that the left WANTS to foment a vicious struggle.

I can't keep up with you and I rarely get responces anyway but I wanted to contribute this...

1) The lefts record far outweighs the rights in all aspects of freedom of choice and protection of rights. Seeking called you on that: "PATRIOT ACT. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT ON MARRIAGE. ABORTION. CENSORSHIP." ...and I would add RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, though many more do come to mind but not in relation to this campaign. Guns are not a primary democratic stance, they aren't focusing on it. So though it is healthy to feel strongly against gun control, you're approach is irrational and reactionary - no one is going to take away your guns tommorow, make it important but don't be blind to this token gesture thrown at you by the right...

You're preaching about constitutional rights and the lessening of government is ridiculous when viewed on ANY other subject but your machine gun

2) The quote I took from your essay hits on something I've long understood and I have read about as well. This underlying theme to many right wing issues is a paranoia about new ideas and more wordly assumptions. Some how universal health care (we are the only 1st world country not to have it) is some sort of socialist monster waiting to gobble you up. Abortion activists are baby killers not people who respect your right to have a baby and the next persons to abort. Homosexuality, single motherhood and any other variation on traditional (read 1940-1965) housegolds is an afront to "family values" another meaningless phrase. The United Nations is bad (though we helped found it) and some how weak though it is only bad when they disagree with us, by they I mean the world, and weak only when we want our immeadiate interests fulfilled now without being held to the same standard as others. And the list goes on..

The right has pulled the wool over the eyes of people by assigning to themselves down home values while acting on an agenda that is vicious and unethical (See your boy DeLay as an example) and promotes governmental and corporate control that is dangerous to our rights. You want to talk about individual rights see #1. You'll need your guns, but it won't be against a democrat - have Waco, our "side" has every city since you were protesting and more so now after the WTO Seattle.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious.

Aristotle

I think that the respective viewpoints of those on the left and those on the right often makes discussion all but impossible. It's apparently very difficult to communicate--like I've stated before, declaring one's adversary's ideas to be irrational pretty much eliminates any need to regard them as legitimate.

I noted that you qualified your statement about seizing guns ("...nobody is going to take your guns away tomorrow...") which sort of communicates an intent to get around to it eventually. Why not just flat out state "The right to keep and bear arms is sacrosanct and inviolable--we would ever tolerate the disarming of the American people, at all, ever." It's always couched in some vague sort of hedge--"Oh, we support responsible hunters and shooters and the shooting SPORTS." The Second Amendment is not about sports. It's about resisting a tyrannical government. Sports is not mentioned at all in the Second Amendment. The left does not regard the Second Amendment with the same reverence with which they regard the First Amendment or the Fourth.

The other things Seeking mentioned, abortion, etc., etc. are all issues on which there are varying opinions about what is acceptable or correct. Pro-abortion advocates often make the argument that a fetus isn't a person, or that life doesn't really start at the moment of conception. NOW who's being irrational? Life most certainly does begin at the moment of conception. If one chooses to kill it because it's inconvenient, why bother rationalizing it? Just call it what it is. As far as that goes, why not legalize infanticide while we're at it? I can't see how a newborn baby has any more rights than a fetus. If you think it's okay to kill the one, why not the other? Frankly, I'm less fanatical about abortion than most conservatives. I figure if 250,000 American women a year want to kill their unborn children, what possible punishment could be worse than having your unborn baby killed? It's sort of a self-punishing behavior, from my point of view. The mother may be happy about it today, but it comes back to haunt one, as the woman who was the "Roe" in Roe v. Wade can attest. She is now a very vocal anti-abortion protestor. I once heard a Planned Parenthood speaker say "Abortion should be legal, but very rare." I agree with that. But I also think that people who are irresponsible and incapable of avoiding creating impaired, retarded, mentally ill children (like crack-smoking pregnant women, etc.) should be sterilized. Not by force, but we should offer them a sizeable reward for undergoing tubal ligation. Men who repeatedly impregnate women and then refuse to support the babies should likewise be offered this reward for vasectomy. If they refuse to be responsible, society should be spared the necessity of raising and supporting their children.

Really, when you think about it, 250,000 abortions is peanuts, especially when you compare that number to the 440,000 Americans who die HORRIBLE deaths every year as a result of smoking tobacco. Instead of a "War on Drugs", government should be waging a "War on Tobacco." Less than 10,000 people die of gun-related violence every year in the U.S. (Of course, in the UK, it's like 600.) So, since smoking tobacco is so much more deadly, and has such a profoundly greater negative influence on people's lives, why is it that liberals aren't all upset about tobacco? (Something tells me that they will eventually get around to it, like in UK, where smoking in pubs is banned now, along with everywhere else.)

Ah, well. Whatever. I don't smoke, so I don't really give a shit, but something about government telling me what I can and cannot do pisses me off.

kabar,

i could give just as relivent an argument as to why people don't need automatic weapons. the question was not about your stance on abortion, it was on the fact that time and time again, the right (far more than the left) is the one pretending to know what is 'best' for people. which completely flies in the face of your argument. look at the shit the left thinks they know 'best' about... polution, child labor, food regulations, work place safety standards and yes, often guns. thats some real nefarious 'mother knows best' shit, isn't it?! outside of guns, which parts of that do you object to?

now look at what the right thinks they know best about: morality, abortion, censorship, religion, personal rights, sexual orientation, drug use...jesus christ bro, you have fucking right wing fanatics trying to make vibrators illegal!!!!!!!!!!! and then you tell me the left wing thinks they know best?! look at those lists. the right wing wants to control peoples choices that ONLY affect them. the left wing wants to control things that protect everyone.

this is why i say your shit is irrational, because when you look at the facts on paper, they DO NOT ADD UP. you are making gross generalizations which have no basis in fact, and infact IGNORE the facts. you spit age old rhetoric that means nothing. like your stance on abortion, i could give a shit less what your rationalization is, i just cant sit here watching you dress it up to be something its not. i cant handle you slandering the left and spouting all this bullshit that is not supported by any set of facts anywhere. it's like sitting here listening to someone tell me the fucking sky is orange.

how about we do it this way. KABAR, I AM CALLING YOU OUT. please comment on the list of things that the right wing tries to AMEND THE CONSTITUTION TO CONTROL . please tell me how the things the left has a stance on are more 'mother knows best' than the fucking right wing trying to pass laws asto what two CONSENTING ADULTS can do in their own bedroom, on the grounds of MORALITY?!?!

jesus, how can you not fucking understand what i'm saying?

Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 26 2004, 01:48 PM

The real question is "WHY?" Why are these social issues so important to the left? What is it that they are trying to accomplish? Why is it that they think these things are crucial to their plan? What IS the plan? Is there actually a plan, or is it just a particular orientation to life that causes them to want to alter life as we know it?

I can accept that the conservatives have a set of principles and a political playbook by which they guide political decisions. They have particular, well-defined goals in mind. If this is true for the conservatives, then it may very well be true for the left. The right makes no bones about "Defending the Second Amendment." Correspondingly, out of the public eye, the left makes no bones about "Getting the guns out of the hands of civilians."

So you're saying the democrats have this secret-hidden agenda to "seize all the guns" over a long period of time...then they have some sort of a master plan to enslave the world with big government and high taxes and then they'll start aborting babies left and right and even let homos get married!....

And the first steps they are taking in this master plan is to outlaw automatic assualt rifles which could be used for...self-defense. Man, I'm sorry but the only party that seems to have hidden agendas is the republicans...maybe thats why they had to lie about why we invaded Iraq, or maybe thats why they rigged a presidential election...

Kabar, I'm interested in why you think we invaded Iraq...and please dont spew out some rehearsed right wing malarki.

I think the U.S. invaded Iraq because it is sitting on a gigantic oil field, and was ripe for the picking. Saddam Hussein was an unpopular, kleptocratic, extremely authoritarian dictator who was a threat to the strategic interests of the United States in a part of the world where we have very few friends. I think that whether or not Iraq actually had WMD, or whether or not the Bush administration knew that they didn't have WMD is pretty much irrelevant.

Was it a stupid idea? I guess that depends on how it turns out. If the Iraqis are successful at creating a democratic, constitutional republic out of a brutal kleptocracy, it may be seen in the long view as justifiable. If not, then President Bush and all his supporters are going to look bad. I guessed before (some time ago) that it would take at least five years before the Iraqis would have a functioning republic. I was probably being naive. It will probably be closer to ten years.

In our own history, we began the Revolution in 1776, and we did not have a functioning Constitution and democratically elected Federal government until 1789. That's thirteen years, more-or-less. In between we had a shitload of political intrigue, opposition, and unrest. People solidly believed that the thirteen original Colonies would NEVER unite politically, and that we would battle over State's Rights forever (which we kind of did.)

None of us had much choice about the decision to invade Iraq. The President and his cabinet made the decision, influenced by the success of the invasion of Afghanistan, I bet. The Constitution is supposed to prevent this sort of thing without a vote by Congress, but the erosion of the authority of Congress to effectively counter-balance the Executive Branch has empowered the position of President far beyond anything the Founders intended, IMHO.

You guys obviously disagree strongly with the President's policies and political direction. So vote for Senator Kerry and be happy. If Senator Kerry wins, then we will see whether or not he does things any differently than does President Bush. I doubt he will do things very much differently, because I am of the opinion that the decisions being made are principally driven by circumstances.

Hopefully, should Senator Kerry win, he will be wise enough to avoid further dividing the country politically, but realistically, I doubt that this will occur. The U.S. is split almost exactly 50-50. Both sides are becoming increasingly bellicose. It does not look too good, from where I sit. Regardless of who wins, we are in for a shit storm, I think.

Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 22 2004, 07:37 AM

The bottom line is that if they want to disarm us, THEY MUST HAVE A REASON FOR WANTING TO DO SO.  What is it?  It cannot possibly be so dumb as disarming millions of law-abiding patriots because of the criminal actions of less than 1/10 of 1% of the gun owning public.  That is just too transparently stupid.  WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DISARM THE POPULATION?  Well, obviously, because if we are armed, WE CAN RESIST.  So it's pretty obvious to me that anybody who wants to take militia-grade weapons away from me must have something pretty fucking bad in store.  No thanks.  I guess I just can't go along with surrendering my assault rifle. Or my stockpile of ammunition.

If you guys can't understand this, well, then I guess you just can't.  Be my guest, surrender all your weapons.  But I won't.  And I will continue to vote against anybody who supports the disarmament of the civilian population.

I don't think the idea of guns being a tool for organized resistance to some nightmarish Orwellian future (as realistic or unrealistic as that may actually be) even pops into the average American's head on any given day; nor do I think democratic or republican politicians give such an idea much heed when supporting or denouncing anti-gun bills.

It's pressure from the people, from the media, from voters, and maybe even from whatever's left of their own innate consciences, that pushes politicians whichever direction they may lean on gun control issues. "Limiting civilian resistance" is barely a blip on the current political radar. You think your average democratic congressman stares at some anti-gun bill and thinks "now here's a good, progressive step in eventually disarming the public so the government can one day assume complete and total control over them"? I don't buy that angle at all.

And this strikes me as borderline paranoia:

"WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO DISARM THE POPULATION? Well, obviously, because if we are armed, WE CAN RESIST."

C'mon, I've read all the prophetic dystopian literature I can get my hands on, but that's like seeing a price increase on toilet paper and deciding it's a conspiracy to give hemorroids to the poor. It's skewed logic.

Archived