writers views on the art they love..

pugsly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to fairyqueen if graffiti "is about getting up" (meaning with trademark) then its oxymoronic to say "anout art not fame" sopid sure call it art or certain forms art but dont ignore fame if you want to be open mined about this type of graffiti (geting up)

Originally posted by junior+Oct 21 2004, 07:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (junior - Oct 21 2004, 07:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Graffiti is vandalism, because graffiti is writing a made up name on private property and causing thousands of dollars of damage. Graffiti is all about getting up, it should be about expression and art not fame. If vandals paint about something meaningful instead of scribbling your name with a marker.

Using your marker to do a mad wild hand style is not art its graffiti. Graffiti is vandalism, Graffiti is the mischief art. Etching is graffiti but its costs a shitload so if your going to etch, etch some big fuckin billion dollar company other then a small local shop, unless the owner is a prick then etch the fuck out of his windows. People that say they are about the Art should not be tagging shit, its not art tagging is all about getting up. Same with etching.[/b]

are you fuckin serious?...pieces evolved from handstyles...if anything, there's more art in an original handstyle than the "flavor of the month" pieces that alot of people do...it's far easier to get halfway decent at piecing..look at how many kids are painting these days...but there's alot of kids out there who can do a halfway decent simple, but can't catch a tag to save their lives...everything evolves from a handstyle...

<!--QuoteBegin-junior@Oct 21 2004, 07:06 PM

The only graffiti there should be is pieces, murals, and throw ups. Everyone says they are in it for painting, or for the art, its all bullshit. Everyone who uses a marker is about getting up. Who are you impressing by scribbling or etch your name on windows. The only way to get up is to paint in the hardest places with the freshest styles.

No one should be painting over other pieces unless there is beef, and a shitload at that. Even if there is beef dont't do a shitty piss ant tag over a massive piece. What JA and Foe did to the Saber roller on the L.A river is sickening. If your going to cover somehing like that you've got to do a roller or a big ass piece to cover it. Every writer should respect writers even if theres beef, writers respect.

i really hope this is sarcasm....and it's nice that you think the saber thing should have been respected but that beef has been going on since you were probably getting taken to soccer practice in your mom's minivan...not siding with JA and Foe because it's none of my business...and definitely none of yours...it is what it is...get over it...

woohoo..i just wasted 45 seconds of my time typing this shit...fuck insomnia...

I've Been Into The NY Graff Scene as a Writer & Artist Since 1982 Having Starting to Take Interest in it in 1980 Through My Mentor Named Leroy 444 Back in The Day at Mt.Vernon High(In New York)!!.

During My 20+ Yrs. In The Movement,I've Seen Alot of Graff Writers Come and go W. Even Soem of The Cats That I Ran W. Back in My High School Days!!.

My Only Regret to Being In The Scene Was That I Never Had The Chance to Paint a Few More Subway Trains like I Wanted to(Having Only Painted 3 Trains Back in '84 W. Retired COD Founder MICHELOB and WANE 1),But That's OK!!,It's also too Bad That Alot of These New Jack Writers That are From New York That are Comming Into The Scene Today Never Had The Chance to Experience The Feeling of What It was like to Paint on a Live Train and Seeing Your Fame Run In The Areas of The City(New York) Such as Queens,Brooklyn & The Bronx!!.

Graff has Been a Very Good Experience for Me to The Fact That I Was Able to Meet Other Writers as Well as Other Non-Graffiti People!!.Today(at Age 41) I Only Paint Legally Every Now and Then When The Time Allows Me to Being That I'm a Parent With a 2 YO Son Who Turns 3 In November,Responsibility Must Come 1st In My Life and GRAFFITI Is 2nd After That of Course!!.I Do Make a Little Side Money By Doing People Names on Illustration Mat Boards For $25 and Up as a 2nd Income for Myself Which Helps a Helluva Lot too,So It's Not Really like I've Given Up The Art Altogether Anyway!!.I've had My Share of BEEF W. Certain People too But That's OK!!.

My Advice to The New Jacks,Do your Graff Homework(The HISTORY) Of The Scene and Try to Be The Best That you Can at It as Much as Possible!!

If you write, you're gonna write everywhere and anywhere you go no matter what. It just comes natural to a writer. Then theres always others that take it to the extreme and bomb everything in sight possible one minute then are gone the next..

So getting up a lot on cutty pathways or cutty areas where not many people normally dare trek shows another individual that you were there.. Like exploring old tunnels that you just found and looking at the graffiti to see who passed through before or since. you know..

It's also like giving someone else something good to look at on their trip. its like "look i've been through here too.." when they see your tag up.. its like communication in one of the oldest realest and purest forms in existance. keeping that real communication in movement.. getting your tags around.. your thoughts and messages around.. spreading wisdom n love through walls and whatever..

nowadays we've got other forms of communication like email.. or instant messaging.. on the computer.. but keepin n showing the flow and movement of communication in the this form of graffiti art.. and expression through the creativeness of the letters.. and the name.. is just dope.. beyond words.. its like expressing yourself in another form, you know. getting your voice known and heard and your name respected.. within our lil community and culture in this world.. it could be profound and sensational to some.. but then there are always those who are fake, and trendy, raving leeches..

so keep the culture alive.. for the kids like us now and also for the kids before us that founded it.

so yeah, getting up is one thing, but getting up, staying up and getting around in style shows that you're really down.

keep it real

edit: this was for another topic i did but i guess it'll do fine here as well.

Ya might be riding a bus or in a car..

ya look at the window and see ya name on the block....makes me

proud....it's street fame....it's the battle of it too....'Style Wars'

...rep ya crew & that....

it's the nick name ya earned bein shown in creative art form...

plus...having ya tag on a wall of fame with

other legends gives cheap thrills

you guys got some good points and sum shit ones (the guy asking wat old skool graf was like) for me i live in a village whichs sucks my luv for graffiti start a guest like many other first music i was in to (sugarhill)i was like 7 and the covers on them and i got two legal building just down the road which at the age of 6 i watched the artists at work which was cool at the time wanting to do sumthing like it but i myself left it far to late i guest and the lessons i learnt watching were long forgoten and in answer to the pieces evolved from hand-styles thats true i mean the first thing we do is tags and for a tag to work you need a handstyle suited to you and regardless if look shit just work with it it took me a while to figure out a style for me and you never truly find one you are always learning,looking at others work helps and see they're styles not ripping them off but gettin inspiration to envolve your own style.. :clown2:

• 1 month later...

I paint when im so angry i could kill a motherfucker. Its therapy. I first started awhile ago after a bad breakup with a girl. I guess i was mad toy but thats never really mattered to me, it was about DESTROYING SHIT, I didnt really give a fuck about style till later on.

I wanted to ruin someones day the way my days had been ruined by others. I wanted it in everyones faces and i wanted it to piss them off.

I still crush hardest when im in those moods. Its motivation, ive since started painting even when im not, and thats ok too, but i dont get in half the work i would otherwise.

i do it because the first time i saw some nice graffiti i fell in love with it...i cant stop...i also like to think that some young kid walking around my city will see a nice piece idid or something and say thats nice maybe ill try to do that...so i do it for the kids :gaga: cause i cant wait to see where graffiti is going

The true problem is the materialization of art. What good art is, TO ME PERSONALLY, is not subjective. Everyone thinks it is. "I think its shit, you think it's awesome, etc" True art, in my opinion, is created without the intention or motivation of financial gain most often. It may end up being sold for money, but when its created, the furthest thing from the artists mind is profit. Composition, colour, cadence (line quality), and true realism and abstraction. All emotional persuasion, through visual form. I think that contradictory to what I've been taught. I really think that modern graffiti is actually one of the last high arts. It is most often done without the possibility of financial gain, and at a risk of personal and physical loss. A selfless art in most cases, artists often loathe the fact that they are even part of the "scene", and don't usually care to share their deepest thoughts or motivation for their art since it is often based on a darker personal side of the writer. It is for me and most writers I know, rarely talked about. It is however a very rare and refreshing treat when every now and then the barriers fall and thoughts are told. My true veiw on the art I love can only be shared with those who know me most intimately, because often the thoughts I hold precious mean nothing to the random pedestrian. When I started writing, I would always try to bestow the virtues of graffiti on people. All it did was make me realize how fucked up peoples priorities are. I lost respect for people close to me and learned to dissociate my passion for graffiti from my personal life. Now I'm a little older, alot wiser, and my passion for graffiti has never been stronger. What a tear jerking fucking love story eh?

I love graffiti as if it were my child. no shit. Its a shame theirs so many stereotypes. There are not enough straight up good people backing this shit we love I think.

Whatever... no art pays attention to typeography like graffiti, no other art uses the mediums used in graffiti. Class, race, and even language barriers are broken to rejoice in its splendor. Show me a gallery that allows ANYBODYS work to be displayed. Its tradition... passed down by our local heros. Its done all by hand. Its done without profit just for the sake of its magic. Its a great alternative to the advertisements that have mindfucked society for the last few decades. I could go on and on.

... OOPS, I did. Peace

i say its like a bilboard or corporate advertising or what not, but the only reason that stays alive is because the middleman gets paid. who gets paid in graffiti? no one and until the government makes a defininiton of profit it will continue to be illegal.

:rolleyes:

i see it like this, its illegal, and its understandable why its illegal, whether or not its art or not, its classified to them as vandelism..but the toys fade out, get caught..the art isn't just in how well you paint, but i feel some of that art is the art of sneaking and doing elbarit pieces in spots seemingly impossible to hit with out being in trouble, thats the art in it..i dunno, im high..nevermind

Originally posted by Bargain Harold@Dec 24 2004, 02:53 AM

I paint when im so angry i could kill a motherfucker. Its therapy. I first started awhile ago after a bad breakup with a girl. I guess i was mad toy but thats never really mattered to me, it was about DESTROYING SHIT, I didnt really give a fuck about style till later on.

I wanted to ruin someones day the way my days had been ruined by others. I wanted it in everyones faces and i wanted it to piss them off.

I still crush hardest when im in those moods. Its motivation, ive since started painting even when im not, and thats ok too, but i dont get in half the work i would otherwise.

I can identify with this believe it or not

i painted myself into cya and prison damn near. why? cause i didnt want to join a gang, sell drugs, steal cars, become a junkee....so i wrote my name on a lot of shit and picked a nasty fight with the state of californias criminal justice system.

currently, if i get hemmed and I DONT WRITE MY NAME ON SHIT NO MORE...i could be looking at two years for two misdemeanors, the 14 felonys on the juvenile kinna fucked my adult up...it cost me a fat ass job to. graffiti is now a violent crime.

i mean yeah, its fun being self destructive and all, and besides im proud to say i got the better part of the game on not getting hemmed up on a 4.5 year joint suspended.

however, graffiti cost me a lot. but you know, i respect all forms of art. rather i respected all forms of art.

now im a complete art racist. if you dont scarifice yourself for your art, your a pussy bitch whipped faggot in my opinion, well only if your a snob about it. but for real, im so bitter if i see art fag shows it makes me wanna mace people...oh your a artist motherfucker, go commit some felonys of your art bitch...

anyway, other than that....i respect everything written on a wall...for the rest of the art world however....you better have some skill to back your attitude up. cause alot of the shit i see in buildings and gallerys my click could do way better....

the art world pisses me off.

i have scribes in jails. thats art.

im really bitter today.

to me graffitti is just another way to get high besides the art in it. it clears my head and rids me of my problems like smokin trees. graffitti is true art cuz unlike other art it isnt being bought and sold for money. like true art, GODs art, graffitti is free for everyone to see. and unlike portraits of trees and animals shit people consider "art" graffiti is based on creativity and originality making it true from the heart and straight out the head. and i dont see it as vandalism to property cuz no one can really own property cuz the property was there before you where born, and'll be there after you die. and dont give me that shit " but people own the property cuz they worked hard for it and this and that so that makes it illegal"-BULLSHIT! your body isnt your property, it belongs to god. like land, your just using it till you die. but why isnt it illegal to get tattoos? and smoking and drinking harms your body but thats legal to. why?

"i just like painting"

well i just like bacon sandwiches but i don't have 1000's of photos them under my bed, nor do i think about them all day or go out racking bacon, know what i mean?

parts of graf are more complicated than others. i can't be bothered with the politics either, but its more to me than "just painting". it sounds stupid and i'm only replying to this because i'm fucking bored... ahh fuck it... i can't be arsed anymore...

to the kid writing the essay, read these books mate:

Graffiti Subculture

Nov York

Getting Up

i'm sure the forum kings will cuss me and recommend some others that they like, but those three might provide some inspiration...

and books aren't a substitute for meeting people and getting out there yourself.

peace

"well i just like bacon sandwiches but i don't have 1000's of photos them under my bed, nor do i think about them all day or go out racking bacon, know what i mean?"

made my evening.

people risk prison, fines and injury to write - no other visual artform has that kind of dedication.

as for me, i'm into graff so I can argue about it on the internet

Originally posted by Bargain Harold@Dec 24 2004, 02:53 AM

Me to,

1996 - the girl.

2005 - Second paragraph

Originally posted by LENS@Oct 16 2004, 10:32 PM

I do it for a rush, the fame, the awe i get from toys and the respect i get from people that are wayyyyy better than me.

I dunno, I do it because it's a way to get away from all the sanctioned activities reserved for fun where i live. I don't wanna party with Greek fraternity assholes. I don't wanna drink at a sports bar while i get jostled by meathead dickwads cheering on their sports team. I don't wanna strut at some meat market of a club.

I want to be free and out there painting and being away from a social scene that has little or no need for a person like me. it makes me happy. it makes me feel good. It's a breath of fresh air being able to participate in something not too many people are into. It's an outlet of adventure. it's a chance to bleed off stress and bullshit.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Archived