Illustrator

dosoner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

98% of the vector art out there blows..... regurgitated content out the ass.in a sea of boaring crap... There are a handfull of people doing some incredible things.... . If I see another " vecto deer" I think I will have to murder every member of the " adobe illustrator team".

" the internet ruined digital graffiti" has to be the funniest thing I've heard all week.

• 2 weeks later...

for whoever wanted a good book.

adobe classroom in a book. and yes there IS an illustrator one, i have it sitting about 10 feet from me. they are very good, go through the tutorials on the cd, they really do help no matter how lame the exercises are. also just the Help part of the toolbar is always good at answering questions and giving walk throughs.

• 2 months later...

I've been tryin to get a feel for the program but i haven't yet gotten a hang of it. Could definitely use a class or one of those expensive ass books.

Anyway, i've been wondering about that whole trendy style folks like to do in illustrator. Do people actually make their own grapevines, paint drips, and drawings and all that. or do they just go and steal some shit they find and throw it all together and see what comes out.

My guess is that the best of them (those who actually deserve some sort of recognition) actually make all that shit themselves.

jinro, if youre talking about the flourishes.. IE.. floral curls decorative whisps and such.

some people build the vectors themselves.. some are available. and some people use things such as decorative clipart books. On a professional level Its not always important if its 'played out'.. I personally dont use alot of flourishes in my work unless its appropriate. Alot of my decisions on how and what i use is based on the time i have to complete any given project.

my only comment with clipart books is that if youre using them without altering and/or combining elements of clipart in Commercial work..you may run into problems. Not that the clipart company is going out of their way to legally collect royalties but the Legal department an ad agency or client will not allow appropriated artwork.

Id suggest if youre just learning to not try and emulate the hip new thing ancd focus in on basic drawing and building and design exercises in illustrator.

yeah. i'd rather do all the work by hand rather than using prerendered cliparts. It would just feel like i'm stealing someones stuff. even if they asked me to. hah. I always get this feeling when i see those kinds of things in illustrator-made works, i just get some sort of sense that its credit almost cant be attributed to the "author" even though they're the ones who put it all together.

don't hate on the 'played-out' vector flourishes and decoratives...by now you can't really attribute that sort of stuff to any one design overlord..everybody and their mother has taken those elements and tweaked them out, so it's hardly ripping someone else off anymore.

plus it's great if you have stuff handy, whether it's your's or not...sometimes it's as easy as ungrouping someone else's flourish and rearranging it quickly to suit your needs. big deal.

timelines can dictate the design, and using trendy elements isn't always that bad.

you have to be realistic about it and what your client is after. besides...who has the time and who the hell wants to do intricate flourishes by hand when you can grab a book of old victorian elements, scan 'em, and trace 'em in a few minutes?

hahah. i'm not hatin on that shit at all or sayin it's bad. I actually think it's pretty sick, though a little overused, but hell anyone would say that. I'm just talkin about for my own work, i don't see myself usin cliparts like that. i tend to try and keep it organic yet crisp you know what i mean. like normalyl if i were to use some sort of pattern or soemthing, i'd just sketch it out real fast on paper, scan it an all that.

I'm probably gonna be dedicating my day tomorrow to experimenting in Illustrator, cause i just got a new deal w/ a new client and I wanna get a strong basis in this program starting w/ this project.

know any places i can get tips, tutorials, or anythin that i can just check out and see if i find useful?

know any places i can get tips, tutorials, or anythin that i can just check out and see if i find useful?

**cough cough**

Go check out You Work For Them, and all your fancy trendy vector questions will be answered.

Then go draw. Or go to the library and get lost in the art books.

Archived