bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Rubbish...

Yeah, been riding in the nasty weather but not very long rides. Two hours is the longest I can handle in this below 20° crap. Wednesday it took my toes almost twenty minutes to gain back their feeling... and those twenty minutes were some of the most painful minutes in my life. Been doing more trainer rides this year than I care for but time hasn't been on my side due to work.

Definitely hit me up on email when the weather gets back above 30°. Been doing 4-5 hours on Saturdays... even though it kills me.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I was fearful of a snow/ice storm that never happened... so I rode the indoor trainer for two hours. Absolutely boring. Should have put the CX tires on and went for it.

This is exactly why I don't own an indoor trainer and don't plan on buying one if I can help it. I have never heard a single positive thing about riding them; usually, people put 'indoor trainer' in the same sentence as 'dungeon', 'torture', 'snooze fest', and 'stupid'.

Just generally speaking, I think more roadies would be better off giving mountain bikes a try when the weather turns cold. bettiniphoto_0043992_1_web_600.jpg

Liquigas got the memo...

http://cargocollective.com/workerman#29705/Handlebars

There was nothing on their site about them be only decorative, maybe they changed their mind.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Workerman?section_id=6301096

Because these are not your typical handlebars, a certain amount of care and caution must be used. These handlebars are not intended for full weight support or to be ridden with. They are only intended to be used as an aesthetic improvement or for display purposes only. If you or someone else decides to ride with them on a bike...you/they are doing so at your/their own risk!

Rubbish... agreed. That's why I'm hoping to be able to pick up a CX specific bike in the coming months. And I still want a single-speed MTB. Saw a Redline 29er on the OBRA chat for $225 but it was an older one with cantilever brakes... and I really want the disc brake version. I can wait...

a ss mtb is still the most fun you will have on two wheels.

and regarding these wooden handlebars... how long is it going to take someone to figure out that with a cnc machine and a sander they can make a wooden handlebar with a metal core that completely hides the metal and can be ridden like any other handlebar? i made a headboard that had curved embedded pieces of steel in it and made it in the exact same fashion these people make their handlebars. if i had a fixed gear id make a set. but i dont, so im not going to waste my time.

i actually might try to do a 3 layer straightbar now that this has gotten under my skin. betchya i can get it done by the weekend.

and il sell it someone on here for like 50 bucks if it turns out good.

EDIT: upon clicking that woodman link, all hes doing it steaming a piece of ash and bending it... no wonder they say not to use them. i couldnt even see clamping it to a non quill stem. hes got to have some metal in there...

double edit:il make mine with a steel clamping section (which will not be longer then an inch) to clamp onto, i just need an idea on how to finish it. because im not going to be using some exotic wood to make this. il go A-side max.

and ALOT of good info in the comments on this page

http://bikehugger.com/2008/01/sporting-wood.html

Anyone know why my cantilever brake is sticking? It seems to move fine - as in spring back to position - when its free, but when i attach the cable it doesn't pull back from the rim when i let go of the lever. Its only happening on one side. I tried lubricating between the brake and the boss, but its still sticking. I wanted to have this bike all built and running in time for the winter (26inch mountain bike with studded tires and drop bars) and this is the last thing i can't figure out. Thanks dudess

loosen up the bolts holding the brakepad on, adjust one pad and tighten then do the other and squeeze them and see how they match up. then use a rubberband to keep the ever back and barely loosen the bolts again and make finer adjustments without letting the pads move closer or further from the rim.

EDIT: update on the wooden handlebar. makin them 17 inch long straight bars. all i have left to do is glue everything together and then hit the lathe and put a finish on it. i took pics of the process so il post them. its surprisingly easy, all the tool i used was a cordless drill with a paddlebit, jigsaw, chop saw, chop saw with a metal blade, palm sander some clamps and il need to use a wood lathe..

took me about an hour to get the metal embedded in the slice of wood and to prepare the layers of wood.

4107792499_883c9949e6_o.jpg

^^^Current ride

So I'm after some shorts and apparently if I spend $200AUD in-store and then another $99 I get the below...

How the fuck does that work - I understand mass production in China and all but $99...

Am I likely to die the first time I ride it due to cheap Chinese labour...?

Sure the components are crap... But for a commuter to work (20 mins)

Any thoughts...?

4191437814_2b1b46d68a.jpg

4190675563_216993aa79.jpg

4190674495_3489e7d39c.jpg

4190674993_4dc5f61cc7.jpg

4191438892_101bc1d0a1.jpg

4190676537_76804a5fb6.jpg

holy fuck.

next time your spending 200 at your lbs il mail you 150 to get that bike and ship it here for me. the seat on my commuter cost more then that bike and its not even a brooks.

handlebar update: might have fucked up a bit, dont think i sanded the bondo down enough and there might end up being a little gap/glue line imbetween the layers. oh well. should hopefully get to lathe-ing friday if i dont decide to try it without a lathe. not too many people have a lathe but everyone can track down a jigsaw and sand paper.

• Like 1

It's a clothing store running the deal... Go figure

I'm purchasing said shorts this evening and (pending stock) will pick the wheels up on Saturday - it's just around the corner so if the thing falls apart it'll be a short walk home...

Postage from down under maybe a tad more.

I take it there's no crazy deals as such in the States...?

• Like 1

That's the thing - 99% of the time if it sounds too good to be true it generally is... This sounds like a 1%

I rang and made some enquires about the quality - yeah it's from China and shit but on the other hand pretty sure Industrie don't want a massive law suit of dudes crashing Industrie branded pushies...

Will keep you posted.