bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

someones going to break into your house and see these bikes and say to themselves "what the hell??? this nigga got some kiddie bikes in here damn pedophiles. fuck this, im taking the TV"

but sick bikes nonetheless <----- how is that a real word according to mozilla spellcheck?!

Anybody know anything about a bike called a "Torker"?

Specifically, a 1983 Torker.

Dude has one of those too, mint as hell and is selling it for $100 too.

Worth it?

DOUBLE TOP TUBE, DECENT BIKE.

DEFINATLEY NOT TOO SOUGHT AFTER BACK IN THE DAYS.

BUT YOU KNOW LET ME GIVE A VERY WEIRD ANALOGY:

BACK WHEN RAPPER CANDYMAN WAS NEW, I ABSOLUTLEY HATED HIS MUSIC.

BUT I'D MUCH RATHER LISTEN TO IT NOW THAN TODAY'S RAP.

BUY IT. AND PLEASE POST A PICTURE.

100 BONES IS DIRT, FOR JUST ABOUT ANYTHING BACK THEN THAT YOU ARE SAYING IS "MINT"

PEACE-.

Good analogy Iron Chef,

I feel the same way.

I know My Dynos, GT's, Haros, Columbia's and Hutch's but I had no clue what this was (The Torker) when I saw it, but I knew I wanted it.

I don't think it's a double tube though.

The reason I'm even calling it an '83 Torker is because of this small "mount piece" (for lack of a better term, between the top tube and the botton, shown here:

Torker280X-01.jpg

*Actually, switch out the rims for yellow mags and this is the bike, pads and all.

...Still good?

Bojangles... that Torker has two tubes on the top tube. It doesn't look like it from the angle of the photo but you'll just have to trust me. You can kinda tell by the way the pad stretches across the top tube but maybe it only looks that way to me because I know Torker bikes. For $100... get it.

joker… a while back you said you had some hill workouts to share when i was ready.

hoping you'd wanna lace me up with some of those.

thanks.

Here’s one workout:

1. 30 Minute Warm-up (spinning easily at 90+ RPM)

2. Go to a 2-3 mile hill with a steady grade (5% would be perfect)

--Climb Hill once in small chain ring to loosen legs (keep HR at your standard climbing HR, meaning don't push it too hard but keep pace steady)

--Return to bottom of hill (just descend back down)

--Climb Hill 4-6 more times, but use the BIG chain ring and whatever cogs keep your RPM around 40-50 (concentrate on pedaling complete circles). This is a sustained strength on the bike workout and is hard on the legs. Your HR shouldn’t be super high. If your knees/lower back show pain, immediately stop and complete the workout in the small chainring. Take it easy on each descent and let yourself recover between climbs.

30 Minute Warm-down

If you don’t want to do it in the hills, I want you to use a 110-120 inch gear and do 4 x 15 minute efforts with the RPM around 50 (you may need to find a slight hill or a headwind to get the gear/RPM combination correct). Between each effort, do 5 minutes of easy spinning (>90 RPM), keeping the HR below 160.

This workout will help prepare you for longer, flat time trials as well as longer climbs. The total workout should take around 2.0 hours. Doing this once per week combined with racing will easily allow you to maintain strength.

• Like 1

i found that going with a firmer saddle i became much more comfortable.

i bought a fairly cheap saddle and have been very happy with it:

414vO96G23L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Is that the ponza? I have a brooks on one of my bikes that's pretty nice, still not broken in, and not weatherproof by any means. Had a rolls but that thing was super tough. Might have to go with the recommendation. Thanks.

Joker - at what point in the season period do you recommend that 110" gear pushing slow RPM's workout?

I'm transitioning out of CX season after next weekend and starting my base miles pretty soon...

Well, normally I would do these kinds of workouts just as the racing season starts... so for us it would be in the early part of March. Most of our races in the early Spring don't have any sustained climbs but with the Estacada TT series these workouts really help, and also when Kings Valley and Silverton come around. This is assuming that you've been doing base miles since the earlier part of October... which you have not. Hopefully you'll take a couple weeks of down time before really digging into the base miles. I've known guys to take a week or two to relax at the end of the season but they still ride a few days a week, and then dig into the base miles. If you don't take some time off... you'll wish you did come March or April. It sounds as though you plan on taking some time, though, which is good.

I would stick with some long endurance rides (meaning zone 2 HR) on the weekends, one active recovery day during the week, a few days in the weight room, and one or two days tempo (meaning zone 3 HR) work. Throw in some quick jumps (meaning below...) too so that when the racing season starts you've got those fast-twitch muscles firing.

Quick jumps - 2 reps of five jumps. 1 minute recovery between each jump. A jump is a real quick five second sprint. Gearing should be around 39x17. Just sprint as hard as you can till you start to spin out.

Tempo work should be in blocks of ten minutes with a five minute recovery between each block. At first do two blocks, once a week. Be sure to keep hydrated and fueled. As the weeks roll on you can add another block and then move up to two blocks of twenty minutes... and so on.

I feel like the 12oz coach...

I've gone through a bunch of saddles in my time and I recently moved to the Specialized Toupe Gel... and the verdict is good. I'm not a super skinny guy by any means but I know a lot of different sized people on this saddle and all of us are very happy with it. Kinda pricey new but I found mine on ebay for $75.

08ToupeGelBlkGr.jpg

The cool thing about the Specialized saddles is the Body Geometry sizing. It's kind of like getting a custom saddle...

since you're in the coaching mood...

i'm a race n00b and the plan is to participate in some early season crits (jan/feb) to help dull the jitters.

would you suggest these quick jumps and hill workouts from now until then?

i was thinking something like this for the better part of Dec/Jan:

sun - endurance (40-60miles)

mon - easy spin (15-20miles)

tues - hills

wed - gym/run/etc.

thurs - intervals/efforts

fri - off

sat - hangover ;) - ???

thoughts?

Well, normally I would do these kinds of workouts just as the racing season starts... so for us it would be in the early part of March. Most of our races in the early Spring don't have any sustained climbs but with the Estacada TT series these workouts really help, and also when Kings Valley and Silverton come around. This is assuming that you've been doing base miles since the earlier part of October... which you have not. Hopefully you'll take a couple weeks of down time before really digging into the base miles. I've known guys to take a week or two to relax at the end of the season but they still ride a few days a week, and then dig into the base miles. If you don't take some time off... you'll wish you did come March or April. It sounds as though you plan on taking some time, though, which is good.

I would stick with some long endurance rides (meaning zone 2 HR) on the weekends, one active recovery day during the week, a few days in the weight room, and one or two days tempo (meaning zone 3 HR) work. Throw in some quick jumps (meaning below...) too so that when the racing season starts you've got those fast-twitch muscles firing.

Quick jumps - 2 reps of five jumps. 1 minute recovery between each jump. A jump is a real quick five second sprint. Gearing should be around 39x17. Just sprint as hard as you can till you start to spin out.

Tempo work should be in blocks of ten minutes with a five minute recovery between each block. At first do two blocks, once a week. Be sure to keep hydrated and fueled. As the weeks roll on you can add another block and then move up to two blocks of twenty minutes... and so on.

I feel like the 12oz coach...

Thanks for the tips.

Interesting how you refer to tempo work... in 10 minute blocks, wouldn't it be more of a TT effort? I always gauged tempo ride as "max sustainable effort over ~3-4 hours" and rode tempo rides as such - faster than a base mile ride but mostly consistent efforts throughout, depending on when the climbing starts of course :D

I've been pretty much in the off-season right now - one fun/hard effort MTB ride a week on the CX bike and a possible CX race on the weekend, with 1 gym day occasionally thrown in (inconsistently) for good measure. Some weeks - only commuting with no time for much else. So when it comes to it, I'll probably take a week break from serious rides with only commuting in the mix before "real" base season, and then keep track of volume from week to week during base miles as not to suddenly spike it.

Still not sure whether to race collegiate or not - all the fucking collegiate racers are super burnt out by May/June, and that's pretty much when prime-time track/crit/fun summer series season starts.

Luckily, commuting on a track bike means fast twitch muscle fibers get stimulated all the time on 'the jump'.

Count... crits are fast, super fast. Doesn't matter what category you're in, it's all relative. Be sure to work on the 'jumps' and the closer you get to the racing season work on some sustained sprints. Get yourself up to race pace and then sprint for 150-300 meters. Seems like a long way but when you're moving it goes by fairly quickly. I did these when I was gearing up for crits a few years back and they really helped with all the accelerations coming out of every turn.

Rubbish... the idea is to build up the endurance efforts to where you're doing 2 one hour endurance intervals. Think about racing here in Oregon... how often are you constantly at endurance pace? maybe 40% of the time, if that. The rest of the time you're either dealing with one minute high-intensity efforts, five minute threshold efforts or you're spinning easy/coasting in the middle of the field. Being able to ride at tempo for two or three hours is awesome, but you'll never replicate that in a race. Endurance for two or three hours, definitely. Most cat 3 races are under two hours long with a handful that are about 2.5 hours. The idea is to train for the racing you'll be doing.

Well, that is how I'm training anyway. Hopefully it works out. Ha!

Collegiate racing seems weird to me because I always hear about things like everyone rides for themselves and no one is there to help their team mates. Maybe it's gossip.

I've gone through a bunch of saddles in my time and I recently moved to the Specialized Toupe Gel... and the verdict is good. I'm not a super skinny guy by any means but I know a lot of different sized people on this saddle and all of us are very happy with it. Kinda pricey new but I found mine on ebay for $75.

08ToupeGelBlkGr.jpg

The cool thing about the Specialized saddles is the Body Geometry sizing. It's kind of like getting a custom saddle...

I paid 150 new for this saddle. Still worth the money though. Easily the happiest my ass has even been on a bike (nh).

Rubbish... the idea is to build up the endurance efforts to where you're doing 2 one hour endurance intervals. Think about racing here in Oregon... how often are you constantly at endurance pace? maybe 40% of the time, if that. The rest of the time you're either dealing with one minute high-intensity efforts, five minute threshold efforts or you're spinning easy/coasting in the middle of the field. Being able to ride at tempo for two or three hours is awesome, but you'll never replicate that in a race. Endurance for two or three hours, definitely. Most cat 3 races are under two hours long with a handful that are about 2.5 hours. The idea is to train for the racing you'll be doing.

Well, I pretty much adapted the tempo rides I was doing from this: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2852 so zone 3 riding and a little higher in the hills, under the interest of only having 2-3 hours of training time and wanting to get bang for the buck.

Either way, my plan is 4 weeks of mostly long slow base miles to start out the season with gym work 2x/week. After that period, a mix of tempo/base/Fartlek/20 minute TT efforts. After that period, VO2Max intervals, sprint work, crit work, more 20 minute TT's, hill repeats. Roughly, anyway, that's my big plan. Track and crits are my focus but I'll be damned if I don't enjoy the hell out of riding a good 80 miler for fun too.