bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Other than the obvious fact that threadless stems are now more commonplace than quill stems... I'll assume there's not much of a benefit of owning one or the other. I'm guessing that a quill stem is more than likely made of steel so there's a better chance for rust, which is a bad thing to have. Aesthetically threadless stems look way better... unless you're building a classic bike. Quill stems seem to be heavier and harder to find.

I think...

Only old school steel track quill stems are steel.... all others, aluminum. Maybe there was a time when the cheapest, shittiest quills were low end steel too, like on low end Raleighs or Schwinns... I dunno. Modern day quill though, its pretty much Nitto and Salsa.

One thing that sucks about quill headsets is they slip over time a little easier. Kind of annoying. Main advantage of quill is that you can swap bars faster IF you keep your bars permanently mated to a stem, and have multiple bar/stem combos on hand. That's about it, other than classic looks. Threadless is nice because you can swap out bars on the same stem without unwrapping the tape. This is doesn't really matter on a road bike, but on a fixed gear, say if you like switching bars up, it can be nice.

An advantage of threadless is it opens up the range of bars you can run... 31.8 width is not possible with quill AFAIK. With Thomson stems, you only need a simple shim to run 25.4, 26.0 or 31.8 on their X2/X4 stems.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Oh yeah, start off by offering $80 in cash. Have $100 on you, but tell him you're going to need to buy a lock or a helmet and that's all the cash you have on hand. $99 is good but you might as well see if you can do better.

I've done pretty good haggling for bikes. Then again, I know what to look for so I go over everything I buy with a fine tooth comb and will bargain like a motherfucker when I find something that will need work or replacement. I've gotten the price on a couple bikes knocked down by 25% or better just by pointing out minor problems that are easy and cheap to fix.

Do what works for you, it's a bag. Get what you like. Not even being a dick it's just that other people may like something that you don't but can sway you to buy it because of some fancy bells and whistles so to speak.

Just my .02

Buying a messenger bag

So I guess it is gunna be the baileyworks med. superpro in blk

Unless someone has a better idea...

Get a large. I have one, and the stuff you were talking about putting in it would be better off in a larger bag. I actually wish I had gone with an XL, but I was hesitant about riding around with this huge fucking bag on my back, but really, it's not as big as you think. A large is big enough for me to fit in my work clothes (pants, two shirts, shoes) personal hygiene shit, a large u-lock, a few bike tools and tubes, etc. and in the winter I'd have some extra cold weather gear in it as well. It's not as big as you think.

XL Baileyworks is where it's at...

I'm officially burnt out from road riding right now, atleast mentally. I dunno why really, the 'fun' aspect is just going away, probably due to not giving myself a real 'rest' week in awhile. About put knobbies back on my CX bike and rediscover the art of mountain biking because I haven't done it since age 13... and just use the fixed gear for on-road training.

I blew a somewhat used Pro Race 3 right out yesterday on a pinch flat, got a clean tear right through the sidewall. Fuck it, only GP4000S's for my race tires now... I hope the 'grippiness' of these tires really is what people have been hyping them up to be, because my only real fear on a road bike is super-tight cornering.

Google Streetview Goes Green with Awesome Trike

google-streetview-trike-001.jpg

It Took a Technology Company to Go This Low-Tech...

Google Streetview is usually built from images captured by a car driving around with a special multi-directional camera (as you can see in this post about a Google Streetview Prius getting a ticket). But there are some roads where cars can't go, many of which are actually much better looking and more interesting than your average road (is there a correlation you think?), so Google devised a special Streetview Trike that only "specially trained super fit Google employees and contractors" can ride. Read on for more details.

google-streetview-trike-002.jpg

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/05/google-streetview-maps-trike-italy-uk.php

31779615.jpg

scooped up one o dese for my cargo bike...

happy bell for peds and bikes, that dude for cars. its wonderful

...also, im getting tired of bikers acting as if they own the road. flipping off motorists when they are in the wrong and such.

hey wait thats probably why i dislike the critical mass.

...so anyone else got a cargo/work bike?

Crashed today. Was descending down an unknown road and came up on a 180° turn too fast, slid on some gravel/sand and went right into the curb... luckily sideways. Damaged both wheels and have so much road rash, bruises and golf ball sized welts that you'd think I fell off a train. And one ugly looking iPhone. Ugh... I need a safer CHEAPER sport.