bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

O M G

what an annoying bicycling day!

all started when i went into a shop i usually avoid ti buy a tube becuase i flatted last time i rode and didnt wanna roll naked. morons working there were unpacking some wack ass fuck piece of shit guru frames and being all psyched on em. so the dude working asks me what i need and i tell him a tube etc. hes like "wanna buy a new FRRAAAMMMEEE" and holds up this stupid rainbow painted ugly welded steel carbon ass guru frame like its the best thing since sliced bread. i watched the dude check out my bike when i walked in, why the fuck would a dude whos rocking a fully campy'd out colnago want a piece of fucking shit like that. i rolled my eyes and gave him a snide "nah". hes like, "why dude, steel is the new shit. and this carbon fiber triangle is even sicker". LIKE I NEVER HEARD OF STEEL BEFORE IDIOT!?? MORON FAGGOT NEW JACK!!!!! for some rteason the words "whats the tube set on that bike?" come out.

"the what?"

"what kind of steel is that bike made of?"

"oh um i dunno. how can you tell?"

i shake my head and tell him "that bike is wack man. you guys should learn up on the specs before you try to sell that for a few grand".. i leave.

riding. riding. loving the unseasonable weather. loving the view on the bike path of my city. see some dudes i used to ride with. smile say what up etc. did my intervals. sure enough the weekend moron art student fisher price my first fixed gear squad rolls up at a stop light. heres some advice to you guys who ride fixed and shit. if your out with your tight jeans and bandannas, weird old socks pulled over your jeans like thats some tights or something, and your brandy new cycling hat, dont talk to a motherfucker like me! i just did fucking intervals and this red light fucked my cooldown up, and i feel like i might barf a little and my nose is running like crazy. dont try to be like, "i love colnagos". THE FUCK YOU KNOW ABOUT SHIT FOOL! BACK THE FUCK UP OFF ME! I AINT YOUR FRIEND! I DONT WANNA BE YOUR FRIEND! IM NOT INTO THIS BIKE SHIT FOR FRIENDS OR A STANDING IN SOME SOCIAL SCENE! YOUR NOT MY CYCLING BROTHER, I DONT NEED YOU ON SOME METAPHORICAL BROTHERHOOD LEVEL! fall back off me. one of these days boyyyyyyy.

AND THEN! once i get off the path and out into the burbs i chill out and put some miles down. loving it. im on my way back into the city and i pass some middle aged dude whos stopped at an intersection. i didnt see him pull out behind me. so like 15 minutes later im blowing a snot rocket and i hear "WHAT THE FUCK MAN". (note: this is second time in a fgew months this exact situation has happened. first time was a woman). i look back and hes a few bike lengths back obviously mad i snotted on him. if i had known he was back there i would have snotted and spit the whole time down under my arm as you do when your in a group (theres a tip for you guys). any how i tell him "sorry but i didnt know you were back there but you should expect that shit to happen when you try to play lance armstrong with a stranger"

"what"

"i didnt know you were back therre dude! its pretty fucking stupid thing to do really. i wouldnt jump on a strangers wheel with out telling him at least".

blank look

"moron" i bounce on him. he trys to hang but like i said hes fat and old and a wanna be lance faggot. dropped.

then i rode to the bar where my girl is working today and banged on the big window. the whole bar looks out at me, she looks, and i honk my weiner over my tights. made my annoying bike day better.

anyhow, fuck the world. let me live. i want to screen a jersey that says "leave me the fuck alone" in block letters down the back.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

haha. that was an amusing read.

the only time i talk to other guys on bikes is when i meet them at a trailhead. sometimes at shops where my friends work.

i don't talk to other writers or people with tattoos for the same reason. usually dumb and annoying. whether or not they are better at the game than me...

Went to NAHBS today. Seems the big trend was bikes like this...

cat

Looks kinda fun but I'm not sure I really understand the need for big ass rims/tires. I guess I should have asked one of the builders why this is a new trend. Lots of vintage style bikes with new components as well. This one was of the bikes I liked the most... I think it's made by A.N.T. ...

2254089320_7dc7f7ea50.jpg?v=0

Now, of course there were a ton of tight pants hipsters there... I think there are more of them currently in Portland than there are graphic designers, and that's saying something. However, there was plenty for them to ooooo and ahhhhh over. The most impressive bike for me was by a company called Naked. I have never heard of them before so forgive me if they're really popular. The attention to detail and the aesthetics of they're show-stopper bike was impeccable. From the rear dropouts to the integrated brake lever in the bars and the bike lock hole in the top tube... it was a beautiful machine. Sorry... but this is the best pic I could find...

2253409012_5032edd55a.jpg?v=0

2252610047_dc20099026.jpg?v=0

2252610299_2a72f4f786.jpg?v=0

There was even bikes made from wood with carbon seat stays...

2214388455_64717cd843.jpg?v=0

I don't have time to find photos of all the stuff that really geeked me out but if you have nothing but time on your hands you can look through this Flickr account that has tons of images from the show -

- have fun.

All I gotta say about NAHBS '08... fucking sensory overload. I think I've seen it all now. You'd think Campy still did the sherrif star thing with all the hubs I saw.

One of the best parts of the show was seeing the original style rod derailleur that Campy did way back when, in the era where singlespeeds ruled the world and derailleur was some kind of foreign entity.

Oh yeah Vanilla was pretty cool, too.

Oh yeah, webbed lugged full carbon frames, titanium lugged carbon, steel lugged titanium (or was it titanium lugged titanium?), some guy that builds sweet wooden rims as a hobby, that wood bike joker posted, a million and one track bikes, too much.

If I had the big bucks, a webbed lugged carbon frame would be in my collection.

Let's talk about the people: hipsters, bike messengers, old people who look like they wandered into the wrong exhibit, greying haired dudes in full spandex, Chris King, mountain bike dudes wearing big baggy pants, bike nerds that don't say much but oogle and photo everything, Asian dudes asking you for customer input so they can make better product, etc.

Joker I'd make a big wager that a lot of the hipsters you saw aren't from Portland.

Went to NAHBS today. Seems the big trend was bikes like this...

cat

Looks kinda fun but I'm not sure I really understand the need for big ass rims/tires. I guess I should have asked one of the builders why this is a new trend. Lots of vintage style bikes with new components as well. This one was of the bikes I liked the most... I think it's made by A.N.T. ...

seen a few of these, most at a race last year, but others around the place too.

i think the average mtb tire is good enough for most surfaces and is already pretty tough.

these would be good for sand, or snow. we have an abundance of sand here, but i don't see many people riding it.

but if they can fit most frames and don't cost too much, i predict a lot of kids will jump on this.

that moots looks like a ti version of Surly's bike a while ago. I forget what it was called, I dont think it was the karate money... anyway when Surly came out with that wide tire hardtail they had to make custom tires, rims and everything for it because noone offered tires like those. They're good if you like going off road with the mentality of a steamroller.

Its funny too none of those bikes were at the show last year. Track bikes were at almost every stand, a couple climber bikes, and that's all I really remember

Yeah i didn't go. Oh well. Folks will be back tomorrow so I'll likely steal their photos and upload em.

Surly Pugsly is the name. Those things are crazy... 4 inch wide rims is balls.

There were track bikes at just about every notable stand this year too. Makes a good display piece so people don't get distracted from your fine lugwork I'd say. That dude Ed Litton is cool as shit by the way. Total vintage connosseiuer. He had this case filled with downtubes from all the good old bikes: Colnago, Masi, Basso, Eddy Merckx, 3Rensho, Coppi, everything. Dude buys beat to shit old bikes off ebay that are no longer rideable and recycles parts out of them. One of the bikes he had on display, the lugs were recycled off some nice steel frame of the past.

By the way, Lance was at the show last night and did a ride today through Portland.

Oh yeah, and the rollers race... I didn't personally attend but there was a tie, between my boy Chaz the messenger and some other guy. They're both getting a set of Kreitler's and an Ira Ryan frame. I'm super stoked on Chaz's victory, that dude is fast as shit and a nice guy too.

I'm hitting the velodrome tomorrow if the weather's nice. Stoked.

PS I saw that ridiculous Calfree bike... he described it as the anti-weight weenie. He's the guy who had that mindblowing webbed lugged full carbon bike I said above... man I never knew carbon could be so damn sexy. I'd buy it for sure if I was racking in the big bucks. Dude throws down a 25 year warranty on his carbon too, that's amazing.

well i respect you for distancing yourself, because i'm being a dick and all.

but yeah, that's what your hip friends would call a track bike. it has one speed and no brakes. they've been around for ages and will continue to be around for ages.

either way that bike has been discussed before here and it's pretty much universally hated upon. i'll put this in different terms: you just posted a stock cap krylon toy piece pic in an AWR MSK thread.

Haha did you just discover bikes with "one speed???" Dude please do yourself a favor and read this whole thread before condemning yourself to the dunce chair.

And wait...Rubbish.... LANCE was in town? Im actually not that surprised. Mr. Armstrong's very business oriented and lays on the public relations heavier than anyone else in the industry of pro cycling. I wonder tho if it wasn't for him if would cycling EVER show on American television. If I saw him tho I would hella bug him about the fucking tabloids "So you won the Tour seven times, just to retire and go out with an OLSEN twin??? You're ruining the dream for us all dude." Who the fuck wants to go through Giro D Italia to come home to Ashley Olsen?

p.s. next time i see someone throw a nuts-to-stem skid to try and "show off", i just may push them off their bike.

co-signed.

i thought i was the only one who didn't like that shit.

and skids............skids are played out..............that shit was cool when you were 7 on your bmx bike.

but if you're fuckin 26 and do it to show off on your hip bike thats worth more than your monthly paycheck........gay.

meh, it's not so much that i'm against skidding in general, after all i own two track bikes w/o brakes and love cycling and bikes period, whether they're aero TT/tri bikes or utilitarian city bikes with the front flatbed rack and light that generates power from the moving pedals. i skid when necessary in traffic and do so sitting, ass to saddle.

this is how i see the fixed gear thing i mentioned earlier, about sack-to-stem shit: remember in high school when you were a senior and there was the underclassmen? you had the freshmen, who were completely clueless and dorky and just didn't know what was going on. this is akin to the guy that just built up his road conversion, has some janky setup with a suicide cog and way improperly wrapped bars and mismatched bargain bin used parts, who rides in a distinctly newbie manner. then you have the sophmores of high school, who think they're the shit because they just got finished with first year and suddenly aren't the bottom of the pack. these are the guys with fixed gears that just learned how to skid and/or trackstand last week, show it off like their complete social standing depends on it, rolls up to the party and just sits there trackstanding outside to try and draw attention... yet anyone who's been riding for a year or more can tell these guys are still way in newjack phase.

Haha did you just discover bikes with "one speed???" Dude please do yourself a favor and read this whole thread before condemning yourself to the dunce chair.

And wait...Rubbish.... LANCE was in town? Im actually not that surprised. Mr. Armstrong's very business oriented and lays on the public relations heavier than anyone else in the industry of pro cycling. I wonder tho if it wasn't for him if would cycling EVER show on American television. If I saw him tho I would hella bug him about the fucking tabloids "So you won the Tour how many times, just to retire and go out with an OLSEN twin??? You're ruining the dream for us all dude." Who the fuck wants to go through Giro D Italia to come home to Ashley Olsen?

yeah, i didn't even know it until i picked up the local newspaper. that's also where i got the bit about him going on a small group ride through portland today too. i posted a pic of him with don walker in the last page...

Yeah i'd love to find out more about them. How much they stretch, how long they last, maximum torque resistance, if they have more or less friction than a regular chain, if the rear wheel has to be perfectly aligned for it to stay on... or if it can only be used as an internal hub drivetrain for a funky commuter bike...

Where's Don Walker's kilt in that photo? Hahah that's not like Don.

Fist, was it you or someone else who said they worked with Sheldon?

btw, anyone into dave moulton or old bikes or italian racing heritage of the past, http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/ is a nice blog. good articles on fit, geometry, etc. too.

I just started reading that blog and gotta say it's not enough that it's Dave Moulton, but the man can fucking write, and the stories he tells from the point of view he has is fucking beyond priceless.

Don was wearing his kilt... as usual.

There is a magazine to go along with the show and in the magazine is a pretty good sized article about the belt drive chain. I haven't read it yet but I'm sure it mentions wear and tear and any specifics.

Wanted to do the Rapha ride this morning but there was just no getting up for a 730am rollout. Couldn't do it. Rubbish... did you check out the photo exhibit?

Oh yeah... my statement about there being a bunch of tight pants hipsters, I know most of them are from out of town. I was just noting how many of them are here right now. When I rolled up the Convention Center there were three kids (seriously, like 14 or 15 years old) riding conversion bikes and speeding down the sidewalk doing that stupid little fish-tail skid. Meanwhile people are trying to walk on the sidewalk and are having to practically jump out of their way. Fucking stupid.

And that Brokeland booth... packed with "cool guys" who had no time to talk to you even if you were a buyer looking for info on their product. The epitome of what I dislike about the fixed gear community.

yeah, the silence of the belt was amazing. ninja.

to stretching: these are basically the same belts used on car engines--human legs are not going to touch them. think about the number of miles you put on a car belt before replacement.

i'm actually glad creamy potatoe didn't know about fixed gear/SS stuff. it gives me hope that fixed gear "culture" hasn't inundated itself into everything i care about.

And that Brokeland booth... packed with "cool guys" who had no time to talk to you even if you were a buyer looking for info on their product. The epitome of what I dislike about the fixed gear community.

Those were the guys with the El Camino stuff right? Those guys were straight too cool for school was the feeling I got haha. Although they had Dustin from Cadence's bike on display which was a real art piece.

Did you see the guy riding the fixed 80's inspired tall bike outside who was with the show?