bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

here is a story we can surely all snicker about:

a few weeks ago my girl and i were walking through downtown oak park to get some food when i spotted a newly converted schwinn parked at a parking meter. new tape, new wheels, freshly detailed, etc etc. being a schwinn guy i thought i would take a second glance despite the fact that it was just another late 80's too big japanese letour something-or-other. i looked even a third time as i thought "that lock isnt locked to the bike." sure enough homeboy had missed the top tube when he locked it to the parking meter, so his brand new u-lock was simply resting on the top tube. "hmm," i thought. i asked my girl if she thought calling the police to come pick it up was too much.

i then glanced into a nearby caribou coffee and there he was, in all his singlespeeder glory, too-clean timbuck2 commuter bag and all. i stuck my head in and asked if anyone owned the bike locked outside. he responded that it was indeed his. i told him it wasnt locked up. he said, "no way!?" i confirmed. he said, "youre kidding!?" i denied i was kidding. then he told me i was his new best friend. through these few moments he never made a move to go lock the bike, he just continued to stand at the counter where he had been trying to kick it with the barista with a dumbfounded look on his face probably smitten by the fact that he had been associated with the haus outside. finally i told him he needs to go lock the bike and excused myself to get some dinner.

chuckles all around.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yo it's funny how some things should stay nice and clean and others

should be messed up proving how down you are.

Like sneakers. No one wants to have sneakers all fucked up.

But having a crisp clean bag is the kiss of death ha ha.

Fuck that I wish I could get the stains out of my Pac bag.

Every once and a while I get some jackass throwing me dirty looks

as if I'm faking it. In reality I have the nicer bike, bag and dispossition

and can't be bothered but d00ds always try to out messenger me

especially the un-messengers. Those doods are 7up the un-cola. I can

see right through them.

i know what you mean my man.

2102501288_1bee9e8d19.jpg

ha. i don't miss those days at all. i used to come home and leave my bike in the hallway, and an hour later all the snow and frozen components thaw out and leaves a huge black sludge puddle underneath your bike. Chicago is pretty damn good at getting all major streets cleaned fairly fast and side streets within a day or two though.

ha. i don't miss those days at all. i used to come home and leave my bike in the hallway, and an hour later all the snow and frozen components thaw out and leaves a huge black sludge puddle underneath your bike. Chicago is pretty damn good at getting all major streets cleaned fairly fast and side streets within a day or two though.

yea, i know the deal in chi. i worked there for about a half winter 2 years ago. we get snow here, but it never gets as cold here as it does there. i can live without the 10 below wind chill.

so i went on my first organized ride tonight with some complete strangers...

now, i haven't been riding long at all, and im a total newb. so short story

even shorter, i got left behind. im pretty proud of myself of how far i

rode, its just i couldn't keep up with the dudes... sheezes

how many miles did they plan on traveling?

usually it's a good idea to make sure you're on par with the guys you'll be riding with, or close to it!

from starting to finish it was only a 20ish mile ride (not including coming back), i made about 13 before losing them. it's hard for

me to see if im on par with anybody b/c im pretty much riding by myself. ahah but now i know

start timing yourself, and then pushing yourself. do short fast rides to get your cardio up, then continue w/ long med/high pace rides. over time you'll get better as long as you keep pushing yourself, don't just maintain.

yeah i'm def. doing that. i kind of keep track of my time when i ride to see how fast i go but i def need to start pushing it more and more

thanks for the advice haha

one day u'll see a post stating i didn't get left behind lol

from starting to finish it was only a 20ish mile ride (not including coming back), i made about 13 before losing them. it's hard for

me to see if im on par with anybody b/c im pretty much riding by myself. ahah but now i know

So you are saying you rode to meet them ?miles and then were doing

20 miles to somewhere only to return another 20 plus the ?miles home?

If that is the case I think you stepped in on a ride with some

experienced dudes. Ask your shop when they have an easy ride or where

to find a group ride that is just doing miles at a moderate pace. Roll

with them and learn how to stay in the draft and ride with a pack. Ask

questions and don't feel stupid. People will respect you for recognizing

the need for cooperation and safety.

That's a good start 13 out of 20.

Don't be discouraged. I got smoked my first group ride and I though I

was in shape from doing the delivery thing at the time. Wrong! Ha ha.

Right now I'd cry if I got dropped on the same ride. That's why I'm

gonna go enjoy the temprature climbing to the mid 40's today.

Yeah, I remember my first group ride as well. I got dropped about forty minutes into a 2.5 hour ride. To make shit even worse... I had no idea where I was. Thankfully I found my way back after being lost for close to three hours. When I got back all their cars were gone. It was kinda funny but kinda sad.

I also remember my first ride with someone who raced. He took me up this hilly road called Thompson which I now consider to be the easiest in town. However, that first ride up... I didn't even make it half way before pulling over to the side of the road and puking. I eventually made it to the top but apparently my face was so red that my friend freaked out and called the ride done. Now I use that same hill to do intervals on because it's not that steep.

It just takes time and effort and you'll be finishing any ride you want to. Hell, you may even take a few pulls...

Haha. Gettin tired on Tunnel? Whats with the reflector?

Rubbish, do you have any photos of what roads look like around Portland?

roads as in outside the city for a group ride? nope, can't say i do. if you want pictures of the trails people ride inside/on the perimeter of portland though, google 'springwater corridor trail' or 'sauvies island bike ride' or something... if you want to know about city streets, that's another thing because in portland the main riding i do is point A to point B stuff. i only ride the roads outside of eugene (cycling team/club rides) and the rain is turning me into a pussy for long rides... well, more like i need to invest in some more winter clothes and fenders because i'm way understocked.

here, i'll throw these in for good measure:

portland-sauvie.jpg

706839048_945e185131.jpg

both sauvie's

pict1.jpg

00_springwater.jpg

springwater trail, for cyclists, peds, skateboarders, and recumbents