bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hey i need some advice on gettin a new bike

ive had a cheap crappy mountain bike for a year now, and its pretty much fallen apart.

im planning to use the bike for riding daily, getting around, exercise etc.

not sure if i should go for a road bike, or something a bit more on the mountain bike side, as i might want to use it for that as well. looking to spend $500-1000.

any help or info would be much appreciated.

yea its hilly, mainly roads and tracks. some slightly rough offroad stuff

I would do a single speed, not fixed, mountain bike. Kona makes a good one for about $900 - Unit 2-9 - has disc brakes and plenty of clearance for fenders and panniers if you wanted. Disc brakes... stop on a dime baby.

2K8_UNIT-29.jpg

I've been riding a supercycle hooligan dual suspension downhill mountain bike since july and I havent yet had any problems but I've had supercycles before and they were pretty shitty. I like the oversised tires, easy fire shifters and the extra wide easy gear but I am expecting it to start fucking up pretty soon, oh yeah and the front shocks freeze solid when it drops below freezing outside. :(

Ive never owned a bike with gears. Ive ridden them. I like how fast you can go. But there not as much fun to ride.

Just for the record I do not ave a b ike right now. I get around on my four wheeled moterless better half. But I do plan on getting a bike for transport around campus/to places as I do not lool foward to driving in citys after i get my license.

Been riding pretty much exclusively since I moved out east. Haven't really taken the train more than a handful of times, which has saved me a grip of money$.

I am slowly squandering the savings I made to move out here, I need a j-o-b asap. Considering messengering, which I don't really want to do anymore, but at this point it is looking like one of the few viable options. Maybe I'll just ride til I find a better job.

Let the hate fly.

The two dimwits I saw yesterday (who got on the streetcar instead of riding their bikes) were awesome. If someone told me they saw these kids I wouldn't have believed it. Fucking hip... tragically. Right down to the small bag attached to their belt and U-lock shoved between belt (white belt) and jeans. Vintage converted bikes with regular drop bars turned upside down and cut to bullhorns. Ah, my favorite. To me, that is the same as wearing a baggy pair of bondage pants. The whole time these kids were talking to their friends about how cool they were because they ride everywhere and drink 40's and chase that with Sparks. I think they called it Sporties or something retarded like that.

Wait...You said they got on a streetcar...like a trolly? They let you bring bikes on those?

Not over here you have to save it for an actual subway car.

I can count the number of times I took the train home with my bike.

But then again I don't care about sporties or black label or pbr or schlitz or any

of the other terrible messenger drinks. Ha.

Excellent clown spotting Joker.

from yesterday's BSNYC, if you don't follow it, this was one of my favorite entries he's done...

If you're a cyclist, the fixed-gear craze is probably old news to you by now--especially if you live in a big city. But for the mainstream public, it's only now just appearing on their radar. As a result, every so often some newspaper or website will publish the obligatory article about it in their local news or cultural section, as the New York Times notably did this past spring. So, in my ongoing attempt to provide public services of dubious value, I've decided to save America's journalists the trouble by creating a template for future articles. If you're a journalist in a smaller city that hasn't yet reported on the fixed-gear trend, please feel free to use the article below in its entirety. Simply cut and paste, fill in the blanks, put your feet up on your desk, and cruise on up to that deadline!

THE FIX IS IN: Coast To Coast, Nobody's Coasting

by: [your name here]

You may have noticed that a new type of bicycle is taking over the downtown area. At first glance, it looks like a racing bicycle of the sort that Lance Armstrong used to win the Tour de France. However, a closer look will reveal that it lacks the shifting mechanisms that are technically referred to as “gears.” It may even be lacking the stopping devices mechanics and gear-heads call “brakes.” If you’ve seen, hit, or been hit by one of these bicycles recently, then you’ve encountered the hottest thing in bikes today—“fixed-gears,” otherwise known as “fixies.”

The most important difference between fixies and regular bikes is that fixies don’t let you coast. Why wouldn’t you want to coast, you may ask? “It’s like a zen thing,” explained _____, an American Apparel sales clerk, filmmaker, graduate student, and fixed-gear aficionado. “You feel totally connected to the bike. It’s like taking the stairs versus riding an escalator.”

Okay, but what about the part about not having brakes? While some fixed-gear riders do use brakes, others eschew them and instead slow their bikes by locking their legs and skidding. _____, a bartender, filmmaker, musician, and fixed-gear aficionado explained, “It forces you to pay more attention and to stay a step ahead while you’re riding. Instead of playing my iPod at full blast and only looking a car or two ahead, I keep the volume lower and look all the way to the next intersection. I feel much more like an integral part of what’s going on around me. It’s like a zen thing. You feel totally connected to the bike.”

Fixed-gear bicycles are nothing new. In fact, they’ve been around since at least 1986, when Kevin Bacon famously rode one in the film “Quicksilver.” That movie, about a person who delivers documents to companies for money, singlehandedly created the bicycle courier industry. Those couriers, called “messengers,” rode fixed-gear bicycles, bathed infrequently, and carried voluminous shoulder bags just like their idol Mr. Bacon did, and in turn were the inspiration behind fixed-gear craze of today.

Part of the appeal of the fixed-gear bicycle to young people is undoubtedly its minimalism. State-of-the-art carbon fiber road racing bicycles with complicated gear-changing systems can cost thousands of dollars, whereas fixed-gear bicycles with handmade frames, top-end parts and colorful wheels and tires cost just a few thousand dollars. “The fact is, you just don’t need all those gears,” explained _____, an advertising copywriter, woodworker, filmmaker, and fixed-gear enthusiast. “Eddy Merckx won the Tour de France in the 80s like six times on a fixed-gear. All that other stuff is just marketing.”

And it’s not just 20-somethings who are joining the revolution either. Older, experienced cyclists are also re-discovering the joyous simplicity of cycling thanks to fixed-gears. “I love it,” said _____, a lawyer, father of four, Porsche club of America member, and recent fixed-gear convert. “It reminds me of why I got into cycling in the first place. I recently converted my titanium Serotta to a fixed-gear. My knees hurt, my thighs ache, and I’m experiencing more penile numbness than usual, but according to my SRM I’m putting out more watts at lactate threshold, which makes it worth it. Plus, it’s a zen thing. You feel totally connected to the bike. All that other stuff is just marketing.”

It’s safe to say at this point that an entire culture has grown around the fixed-gear bicycle. At _____, a downtown bicycle shop that specializes in fixed-gears, owner _____ sells not only the latest in bicycles and parts but also a complete line of fixed-gear specific clothing that allows riders both male and female to easily adopt the young Audrey Hepburn look that is currently in vogue. And while _____ can’t sell you a brake, he can sell you a $50 t-shirt with the shop’s logo on it. _____ also promotes fixed-gear-specific contests which feature events like skidding, track-standing, and other competitions focused entirely on slowing or simply not riding the bicycle. _____ explains that shops like his embody the future of bicycle retail, and says that his customers are looking for something different. In fact, he says fixed-gears may just be the future of cycling.

“All that carbon fiber and gear stuff is just marketing,” _____ told me. “Fausto Coppi won the Giro d’Italia like six times in the ‘70s on a fixed-gear bike, and I think people want to get back to that simplicity. It’s like a zen thing. You feel totally connected to the bike.”

The two dimwits I saw yesterday (who got on the streetcar instead of riding their bikes) were awesome. If someone told me they saw these kids I wouldn't have believed it. Fucking hip... tragically. Right down to the small bag attached to their belt and U-lock shoved between belt (white belt) and jeans. Vintage converted bikes with regular drop bars turned upside down and cut to bullhorns. Ah, my favorite. To me, that is the same as wearing a baggy pair of bondage pants. The whole time these kids were talking to their friends about how cool they were because they ride everywhere and drink 40's and chase that with Sparks. I think they called it Sporties or something retarded like that.

joker, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but "flip n clips" (road drops cut and flipped upside down) and road conversions are the tragically unhip, poseur division of hipsterdom. you ran into some newbies! but i donno, maybe that's what you were alluding to anyway...?

now, when someone rolls up with some naked anodized nitto track drops and a nearly full njs rig, or better yet, a pista concept with an aerospoke and risers (any aerodynamic front wheel+risers, for that matter), you just found yourself some real, authentic, possibly more pretentious than bill o'reilly hipsters.

p.s. excellent bikesnob article as usual.