bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^ ^ ^ it just depends on what city you live in and what the demand is. in portland you can sell off something like say, an old schwinn for a bit more than other places because there's a lot more people trying to get into bike commuting on the cheap. what would go in some midwestern city garage sale for $15 could go for more than $100 here and i've heard it's like that in most big cities, it just depends on how many inexperienced riders there are in your market who are overpaying for their used bikes. the trick is to get an eye for what's good and what's not, because a lot of 30 year old bikes (i'm thinking paramounts, italian stuff, anything with all campy or suntour superbe) can fetch a very good price nowadays because it was built to perfection back in the day and arguably rivals a lot of today's stuff, but sometimes you can find people with mint condition beauties who don't know the market value and just want to get rid of them because they've been collecting dust in a storage room for the past 25 years.

joker, i did watch the crit. fun race to watch, some of the guys up front were just smoking... i talked to molly from veloshop the next day (she raced) and she said something about getting up to 40mph on the straights... until she got a flat with 2 laps left.

the westside invite is in less than a week, all labor day weekend. alleycats, track racing, bike polo, and a way sketchier criterium than that park blocks one (cobblestone streets, midnight, "dirty" race tactics, albeit nowhere near as fast). must have been a working messenger in the past year to win prizes. it'll be fun.

i'm off to ride springwater.

nevermind the springwater corridor ride, i got hit by a car. luckily all i have is a bloody elbow and slightly scraped up hip, and apart from my rear rim being semi-taco'd and a single spoke being visibly bent, everything looks cool. the colission was completely the drivers fault (i had the right of way, guy was turning off the main street onto a side one and wasn't paying attention) so i'm gettin a nice check to repair the damages. no scratches on the car and likewise for my frame strangely enough.

i just got a redline monocog 29er.

i had to stop riding my fix with the track frame cuz my back got wrecked over the summer (not from the bike)

but now i needed a bike where i was more upright, well a lot more actually. didn't wanna build another bike from the ground up as funds were kinda tight, and the bicycle had to be replaced right away, i don't have a car.

but anyways, since i saved a bit just buying a complete bike a did a few things. switched the front chain ring to a 38, it came with 32. had a new rear wheel built with a fixed/free hub. both cogs 14. wanted a little easier ride than my usual 46/16. also hacked about 4 inches off each end of the handlebars for squeezing thru lanes. and put different tires on, came with huge treaded things i would never need, so i got just some hybrid commuter type tires.

i'm really satisfied with the bike, and so is my back. i'm excited for the snow to fall now with this thing.

my bike

Chains off, handlebars need real bartape, bike should be fitted properly, front wheels on backwards, and i think the bars are angled too high. Id buy those rims off you tho.

Rubbish that sucks dude. Any bruising on the hip? I landed on mine and the swelling/scratches havent healed in five months. The fucker better be paying for the doc too.

Rubbish that sucks dude. Any bruising on the hip? I landed on mine and the swelling/scratches havent healed in five months. The fucker better be paying for the doc too.

the hips not too bad, it's mostly my elbow that took the blow. honestly, the fall was pretty comparable to something from skateboarding when you land leaning back and hit your hip / elbow, nothing is too bad and should heal accordingly. if anything i may need stitches but that's not definite, i'm gonna go to the doc's tomorrow to get it checked out. i want my damn wheel repaired/replaced though, i was trying to go to the track on wednesday and than race the westside invite this weekend but it looks like those plans have been sidelined for now.

Chains off, handlebars need real bartape, bike should be fitted properly, front wheels on backwards, and i think the bars are angled too high. Id buy those rims off you tho.

I recently inherited the bike, so realize she needs some work (the bike has been lying in a garage for a few years) But what exactly do you mean by the bike should be fitted properly? do you mean the seat height? any help would be cool this is all new to me.

here are a few questions from an amateur...

is there a good method for breathing while going long distance/hills etc..

i have heard of solid rubber tires is there such a thing and would it be worthwhile to invest in when considering flats...

what do you guys take with you on rides..ive been packing extra tubes patch kit and mounted pump

Ralphy, Ive put 2500 miles on a set of gators and only got one flat which was when i didnt check tire pressure and rolled over 3/4 inch screw in some shit part of town. That shit because i couldnt pull out the fuckin screw. Strong touring tires and correct tire pressure = no flats.

Cycling is a cardio sport. Ride more and youll be out of breath less often.

I bring an inner tube (if you get two flats youre either in a shitty part of town or you need new tires), tire lever, compressed air canister, gu flask, and Blue Cross HMO card so if I eat shit and go unconscious the hospital knows im good for the operation.

aye. i carry a patch kit in case my extra tubes fail me. god hates me and gives me flats a lot. my record is 5 in one day. i didn't ride for a couple weeks after that i was so pissed. (and no it wasn't something in my rim or tire, just really sharp granite with medium drops)

for breathing, just keep riding. the more you do, the easier it becomes, do things outside of riding as well, running, jump ropes, etc...

haha. yeah. i'm not retarded. i've been riding since i was 6, and on mountain bikes since i was 12. i ride hutchinson tires usually at 35 psi. one of the flats took place after i'd switched tubes and the top part of the presta valve broke--rendering the tube incapable of holding air, so perhaps 4 is a more accurate number.

haha. yeah. i'm not retarded. i've been riding since i was 6, and on mountain bikes since i was 12. i ride hutchinson tires usually at 35 psi. one of the flats took place after i'd switched tubes and the top part of the presta valve broke--rendering the tube incapable of holding air, so perhaps 4 is a more accurate number.

fair enough. i tend to hang around with people that ride bikes all day everyday, i had just never heard of so many flats in one day. the previous record i've heard was 2 flats / 3 days, so i guess you topped it.