INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

White ink was given to me by a friend. Acouple small containers full. The bottles were about 4 maybe 5 inches high and 2in x 1in on the bottom. It wasn't labeled so I'm not completely sure it was Marsh, but considering this kid was a fucking fanboy, it's highly likely.

Oh, there was also a ball that was connected to the cap.. sort of like what you find in bubble containers, but this ball was made to soak up the ink.

Anyway, the ink bubbled a lot. And I don't remember for sure but I think it made the foam applicator expand on the mop (sort of like what spray paint does). There was nothing spectacular about it other than I was more visible on dark surfaces for awhile. I'd say just buy some white bucket paint and thin it out.

Originally posted by The Leader@Jan 26 2005, 07:03 AM

White ink was given to me by a friend. Acouple small containers full. The bottles were about 4 maybe 5 inches high and 2in x 1in on the bottom. It wasn't labeled so I'm not completely sure it was Marsh, but considering this kid was a fucking fanboy, it's highly likely.

Oh, there was also a ball that was connected to the cap.. sort of like what you find in bubble containers, but this ball was made to soak up the ink.

Anyway, the ink bubbled a lot. And I don't remember for sure but I think it made the foam applicator expand on the mop (sort of like what spray paint does). There was nothing spectacular about it other than I was more visible on dark surfaces for awhile. I'd say just buy some white bucket paint and thin it out.

If it looks like this: [attachmentid=6689] attached to the cap, it's a dauber brush, which I usually saw on old griffen bottles. It sounds like you got white shoe dye. Unless your friend filled them up with white marsh for ya.

The problem with white paint bucket mixes is that they not made for markers without liquid valves. I'm looking to make a marker with ink, not paint. Paint tends to get streaky. And inks solid when wet. Though the idea of people making white or silver ink makes me think that it's paint...

Hope someone here can throw some science my way on this.

Daub5.jpg.36394825670d4ee7f869cf43070cefbe.jpg

sharpie makes the silver markers, that ink is pretty nice, no idea what it is, but it doesn't seem like paint. that white stuff sounds like shoe polish, i had some once that did the exact same thing, i tossed it before i wnet out with it.

about seeing color on ink, i have to agree that it doesn't really matter. i usually mix garvey and some kind of dark stain that dries faster, like pilot or whatever. if you want color, use paint. thin it down right so it runs well and it won't look like shit. tada.

dot three is mildly corrosive, you wont see much of a difference though. my best advice is put some shoe dye in there, because putting gentian violet or meth blue in inks like corio and garvey is pointless. punch brown shoe dye, or black griffin, or either red, purple, or oxblood feibings shoe dye. throw a bit in a give it a good mix.

and the leader, the bubbly part makes the white stuff your talking about seem like griffin, because my white bubled alot.

Originally posted by chumbawumba@Jan 27 2005, 12:29 AM

dot three is mildly corrosive, you wont see much of a difference though. my best advice is put some shoe dye in there, because putting gentian violet or meth blue in inks like corio and garvey is pointless. punch brown shoe dye, or black griffin, or either red, purple, or oxblood feibings shoe dye. throw a bit in a give it a good mix.

and the leader, the bubbly part makes the white stuff your talking about seem like griffin, because my white bubled alot.

Yeah it's just I read on here that someone mixed DOT 3 with their Corio and it stained really really well. But anyway thanks for the advice.

for the kid with the sandy/gritty etch... that is what's called etch cream.

you can thin it with water, vinegar, or a mixture of the 2. some people also like adding an industrial cleaner called mean green into their water and/or vinegar mix to give it a light green tint, and because mean green has Hyndrochloric Acid (another acid that burns into things) in it..

DO NOT THIN IT WITH ALCOHOL. FOR EVERYONE'S SAFETY THEY SHOULD KNOW NOT TO DO THIS. ACIDS + ALCOHOL = BAD BAD BAD. DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO MIX IT WITH PAINT THINNER, OR ANY OTHER SIMILAR SOLVENTS EITHER. JUST STICK TO WATER, VINEGAR, ETC.

ALSO, I READ SOMEWHERE SOMEONE TOLD THEM THAT IF THEY NEEDED TO THICKEN ETCH, MAKE IT STRONGER, ETC. TO ADD BAKING SODA. THIS MUST'VE BEEN A JOKE, I RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT TRY IT. I PERSONALLY HAVE NOT BUT SEEING HOW ETCH IS AN ACID AND BAKING SODA IS A BASE... YEAH, IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK TOO WELL. SO IGNORE THAT RUMOUR.

WEAR GLOVES AND BE SUPER CAREFUL. ACTUALLY, DON'T USE ETCH AT ALL.

to be honest i'm not sure what the difference would be, it's just the two most common thinners i hear of people using. i usually just use water because its so easily accessible. but vinegar is slightly acedic so maybe it adds to the etching power or perhaps etch creams dissolves/mixes better into it... i'm not sure i'll try it out sometime.

i think sand etch is the sandy stuff used for sandblasting but i'm not sure... like not industrial sand blasting but the artistic type where people sandblast designs into things and whatnot... but i could be wrong on that.

I probably shouldn't be giving away this fly recipe but

here goes. If you think Krink is permanent you ain't

seen nothin' yet. First get yourself the necessary ingredients -

16 oz jar of mayonaise

small jar of purple glitter

Bottle of Jergens body lotion

Half log of human feces (medium to firm stool)

36 box of crayola crayons

Next heat your moms oven to 450 degrees.

Mix the above ingredients into your households best cookware.

Bake for 3 - 4 hours.

I know the bake time is long but believe me its worth the wait.

Once the mixture is down baking simply pour into your

favorite marker. To draw this ultra permanent ink to the

marker tip, extend the marker to your mouth and suck

with full force. Remember - Don't get busted with this

ink on your person. Its so permanent its a felony to have it in

your possession.

Originally posted by ATOMICWEDGIE@Jan 30 2005, 08:55 AM

I probably shouldn't be giving away this fly recipe but

here goes. If you think Krink is permanent you ain't

seen nothin' yet. First get yourself the necessary ingredients -

16 oz jar of mayonaise

small jar of purple glitter

Bottle of Jergens body lotion

Half log of human feces (medium to firm stool)

36 box of crayola crayons

Next heat your moms oven to 450 degrees.

Mix the above ingredients into your households best cookware.

Bake for 3 - 4 hours.

I know the bake time is long but believe me its worth the wait.

Once the mixture is down baking simply pour into your

favorite marker. To draw this ultra permanent ink to the

marker tip, extend the marker to your mouth and suck

with full force. Remember - Don't get busted with this

ink on your person. Its so permanent its a felony to have it in

your possession.

ha...ha...?

I'm sure you could. In fact i have a bunch of krylon auto touch up paint markers. I don't care for it's paint though. I never cared for car paint but it should work.

The main question though is whether or not paint thinner and the varnish you are using is compatible with the auto paint you are using or if together can create a good solution for a paint marker. I've never added varnish to my markers before. I've always thought of varnish as a second coat that you add when the paint has dried. So to mix it WITH the paint? I wonder if that is a good idea or not. Try it and let us know.

Originally posted by Eur0duB@Feb 1 2005, 09:07 PM

Could I use auto paint in my marker? I would add some paint thinner and probably some varnish.

I got the marker from a website that gave them away free if you claimed you eneded it for buisness use, I would like another, anyone remember this thread?

I've heard that some people have

used stainers such as gentian violet

dissolved in water (i.e. not ink), has

anyone tried to mix just xylene, dot3 and

stainer/additive?

Sounds like it might get a dodgy

consistency but applied with a mop

or a griffin dauber it should be nasty

to buff.

Yeah, stainer and xylene is great. Just add enough xylene to get it a lil drippier as stainer is very thin already. There's a shit load of staining colors out there too. I prefer brown on brown so you get a more earthy looking tag, but there's green, blue and other colors. But the problem is being able to add a sealer to the mix so that it last even longer.

Originally posted by panakeii@Feb 5 2005, 02:07 PM

I've heard that some people have

used stainers such as gentian violet

dissolved in water (i.e. not ink), has

anyone tried to mix just xylene, dot3 and

stainer/additive?

Sounds like it might get a dodgy

consistency but applied with a mop

or a griffin dauber it should be nasty

to buff.

It's really quite possible. Change the nib if you can. I had a problem with some silver paint flowing thru my nib. Til changing the nib fixed the issue. I thought it was the paint. But the nib was just defective somehow.

Originally posted by foneiz2@Feb 6 2005, 08:16 AM

juist made some krink with chrome paint andsilver paint and and i dont think i used too much thinner but it isnt atall opaque. could the marker nib be filtering all the stuff that makes it opaque? :yuck:

if your shaking your marker good before using it anything that the thinner flows trhough the silver should flow through too. and there isn't something in it that makes it opaque that is seperate from the silver, since it's a pigment. so if your seeing silver but it's not opaque than you probably thinned it too much.

the guy was joking (i hope), higgins is shitty water-based india ink. sorry to burst your bubble.

and yes a stainer can be used to make an inkm such as garvey. basic violet with solvents and binders.

if you don't know what chemicals do what, then don't mix them. you could seriously be risking a health hazard for a recipe thats probably so shitty that it wont even outdo store-bought ink.