Mini Disk

LASFOAK

i got an MD recorder over a while ago and i'm well happy with it, looks pretty smart too, brushed aluminium case with a nice LED remote, really easy to use too, and most of my mates have one too now, so good for swapping compilations and albums with them, especially handy since i only buy vinyl

i never bother with mp3s much, but i have downloaded a few things on my sisters computer, and now i'm going to try hooking up my MD to get them straight onto disc, which'll be excellent for the records i can't find

and also i know a guy who plugs his into his mixer when he's djing for extra samples or stuff he can't find on vinyl

i've had no trouble at all with mine and would definently recommend a minidisc recorder, probably best going for a sony and paying a bit more for a really good one, and the batteries do seem to last forever

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Al Green

i have the Sony net md type r MZ-N1

.. whatever i love this thing its my third player/recorder i have gotten.

its got a wonderful interface and adocking port for both recharging and loading music from the computer.

It runs on a file format called Atec-4 or something.

its a compression format like mp3 except designed for md's. It allows for you to store 2, 4 or 6 hour md's rather then 74 or 80 minutes. although the sampling rate/ resolution does change i find that its better then mp3 in terms of garbling noise and bunk.

I can carry 3 discs and be set for days. I take alot of long trips and im rarely home so i find this really worthwhile. 5 yrs ago really buying into md technology in America was worth it unless you were a vinyl freak.

but since digital rather then analog conversion has become more standard here its actually a nice device.

positives. you arent restricted to a computer for sampling sounds and music like you would be with an ipod or any other mp3 device.

although there is no harddrive and its disc based it is not like a cd and allows for countless re-recordings without losing quality. Although i cant say its 100% perfect when it comes to skips. its still pretty damn good.

aesthetically theyre beautiful little machines. magnesium and aluminum cases (im not a fan of plastic), control wands, analog and digital input.

what its lacking at least in consumer models is digital output.

the program thats packaged with it is called OpenMG jukebox or something.. i dont mind the interface its actually laid out pretty well and simple to learn. What i cant figure out is how to import audio in from my md unit. (if someone knows id really appreciate it) the reason for the md compression format (atec-4) from what i understand is an attempt to limit file sharing... im sure some smart person has figured a way around this. Transfer speeds from computer are relatively fast depending on your computer (up to 32x) which is great. when it has to convert files.. lets say from mp3 or wav it may vary.

The second program packaged is a simple cd to md burner for converting a whole cd album. this is lives up to its namesake.

Im a big supporter. but im not going to lie ive had some hardships with mine.

heres a good site if youre just getting into MD technology

www.minidisco.com

if theres any other md heads in here or anyone knows an MD forum please let me know.

-bobby

http://www.minidisc.org/ is a damn good site

http://www.minidiscussion.com/ message boards on MDs

http://www.minidisc.org/sonyim/MZ-R50_01_low.jpg'> got this number about 5 years ago.

this is my current one http://www.minidisc.org/sonyim/MZ-R70_L_01_low.jpg'>

i wanted one like four years ago but now with all the mp3 players i cant see the point in them...well im sure they have there pros as well as cons but i think ill just pick up one of those mp3 players that hold like 4000 songs. that should be good.

if you read my post you'd see i listed both advantages and disadvantages.

its really a platform made for audiofiles in a different way then mp3 audiofiles.

not to start over analyzing, classifying and generalizing.. (but i will)

some audiofiles collect music because of the connection to a certain subculture (ie hip hop backpackers, jazz fiends, punk, hardcore, sxe, rock etc) especially vinyl junkies....or people who frequent shows.

theres other audiofiles who are just collectors.. like the dorky art school kids who just collect sound clips, lectures, conversations..etc.. ..

both of these types i think are more suitable for dat and md

while theres the another set

those who just like collecting

they burn every cd they can get their hands on. (sometimes never to listen to it really just to have it in their "library"

or kids who are Kazaa addicts.. where music is disposable... and therefore catalogued or stored on the computer until theyve used all of their gigs up and have to dump them to storage devices or catalogue them in cds.

if you are a mix fiend.. i think both the md and mp3 cd are really worth the investment.. that is. if youre friends can swap the same way..

either way..

these are all generalizations and subjective opinion

its all a way for companies to scam our money. even though currently it is working to our advantage.

i mean is it just me or do you burn out on songs and artists quicker then you used to?

eh im in a bad mood back to killing sheep.

Originally posted by Al Green

if you read my post you'd see i listed both advantages and disadvantages.....

yeah i did, just wasnt in the typing mood, youve got some good arguments for gettin one, i also like it cause of the size aspect, most of the mp3 players i see that i want (the ones that hold a lot) are still pretty big and that is kinda annoying, small is key.

id suggest buying or making a carrying case for your md.

i used to use sweat bands. ive evolved a bit since then. something about me being post human with simian drive.

anyways. in japan they sell alot of different md carrying devices.. ive found a few fresh one when i get a chance ill take pcitures of what i use.

if you find a chalkba for rock climbing at a store or catalogue i think its a pretty good case for it if you also have a sweatband around the md. chalkbags are also nice because you can just clip with a carabiner to your belt or beltloop or backpack.. i find it nice when im mobile or working at home and moving around alot.

anyone have any headphone selections.?

ill drop a list of what ive used in the past at somepoint.. i have to get to my real life and responsibilities.

• 1 month later...

i've got this dope little mp3 player that plays cd's. i thought it'd be alot better than one that hooks up to a usb...i was right. i've got tons of mp3 discs laying around, with tons of albums on 'em...it's so easy to switch a disc and have 10 new albums to play, instead of hooking up a usb cable and then uploading everytime you want to hear something different....

it's a sonic blue roxio, btw. i meant rio volt

http://www.sonicblue.com/images/product/SP150_SMALL.JPG'>

Guest ctrl+alt+del
Originally posted by -Rage-

http://store6.yimg.com/I/planetminidisc_1737_11503262'>

My jawn. $120 with USB port.

rage you biter!!! haha just playin, but that is the EXACT same one i got. its got the ugly blue plastic type bottom right? mine does. its a good deal, works fine. i just figured out how to work the Group function, haha. My brother got a new md two weeks ago and it came with the newest software so i yoinked that shit. Sonic Stage. Works hella good, better than that OpenMGJukebox thing i had before. They are basically the same program, but the old one would often fuck me one way or another. I use my md hooked up to my vehicle mostly. when i have no need for a car in a year, i think ill look into getting a new one.

I had my mottther knit me a dope little black holder for my md.

You have been humped by the Froggy which means you are one sexy Bitch. You will have GOOD SEX for 2 years if you send this to anywhere from 6-9 people. If this is sent back to you,then you know you are truly one sexy Bitch!!!( most of u anyway) You must send this in 5 minutes from the time you read it or good humping days will be broken!

thbpt... minidisc players are tight, mine broke a few weeks ago.. but i dropped it on a hard floor many many many times.. lasted way longer than any cd player ive ever had. i say get one

Originally posted by ctrl+alt+del

its got the ugly blue plastic type bottom right? mine does.

My brother got a new md two weeks ago and it came with the newest software so i yoinked that shit. Sonic Stage.

Hahah, yea, that's the one. With the ugly bulky black headphones.

I'll have to look for that software online. Hrmmmm.

Archived