Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are not the same as the ones in Canada. The Canadian versions look more like domestic american cans, and not everything is in French. The four on the bottom look the most like the canadian cans, but i don't recall the canadian versions having a huge "appret" on them.

i prolly am wrong then,but i did see some of these cans while i was up there for awhile.

heres a picture of the Mr.Spray guy i cant get over how funny this is and the fact they call the paint, Mr. Spray. These kinds of cans to me are GOLD just for the fact they are so cheesy and funny. i wish company's today had more weird humor. It looks like he even has a jean skirt on mabye Mr.spray likes to take it in the ass? idk...where the F is miss spray???

minrkm.jpg

ok he is also standing on a rainbow, its a fact Mr.spray with his jean skirt is a homo.

Some of the rusto and aa yellows are not that bad, krylon Topaz yellow was a decent yellow. I had a few cans of catepillar yellow by Bowman that was some pretty thick shit. Most of the thicker ones are not a real true yellow. I remember using sun yellow on a white primed wall for some simple letters, and still needing 3-4 coats to really make it pop, you live and learn....

Is there a good, basic yellow available in USA? That covers, to make a fill-in?

I mean, a real yellow, not pale, not orange, YELLOW.

In Europe it's almost impossible to find a great one.

Molotow/Belton make one good one (and a few not so good) Jasmine I think is the good one..?

My crew mate Burye had these spanish/mexican Krylon yellows that covered amazingly. He found a grip of them at a bargain store. Really ugly paper labels. Looked like John Deere/Bright Yellow, and covered in one shot.

I had one can of the first generation Ironlak paints, with the colored, rounded plastic tops and smaller logo. It was Pineapple Park, which is one of their brightest yellows, and covered very well. I find it funny, because the current formulation is one of their worst colors. I'd say on par with something as bad as Krylon sun yellow, but the older version was like late 90's era Rusto Sunburst Yellow in terms of coverage.

Ironlak Butter is pretty bright, and covers better than most yellows. I've outlined with it.

Painter's Touch Sun Yellow is ok, and looks alright with two coats. It's totally solid with three coats.

It should be unanimous from all USA posters that Rustoleum Sunburst yellow is the last best American yellow currently out there. AA summer squash has gone downhill and is slightly paler, but still workable. Another thick Rusto yellow that I can't find anymore is Cornmeal.

Union Pacific yellow is runny (although thick) and changes color while you use it, flirting with orange and then reverting. Really runny, not a great experience unless you're patient.

Since vintagespraypaint was nice enough to share some photos, here you go. Cleaning off the shelves and finally orgainizing, if you have something you don't see here I may be interested. Let me know....

Older krylon grenades and minis

dsc00905e.jpg

dsc00906z.jpg

dsc00907g.jpg

60's and Late 50's

dsc00908g.jpg

dsc00909wd.jpg

dsc00910ke.jpg

66's Borden Script

dsc00915r.jpg

68-72's

dsc00911ys.jpg

Only missing a couple of these. Pennant and Pineapple being the hardest ones...Also OD Khaki flat and glossy, beige, a red or two and Black Lacquer (don't know if they made it in 5 ball design)

Notch Tops

dsc00912v.jpg

dsc00913gc.jpg

Mini 68's

dsc00914k.jpg

dsc00912v.jpg

DOPE!!! What are the Primer colors?

Front to back is Platinum, Ruddy Brown, Grey, Yellow and Green which is basically a flat avocado....

Still missing Flat white and flat black (with real flat tops, not glossy tops) Icy Grape (for which I have a pineapple of jungle green to trade for) Plum safety, and almond...

It must be weak pigments, because yellow is thin no matter what paint you use, be it bucket paint, artist tube paint, spray, whatever.

cadmium yellow is opaque, but it obviously shouldn't be sprayed due to inhalation hazard, cadmium is also pretty expensive....typically on housepaint (spray or bucket) the darker or more vibrant or intense of a color the more pigments are used and less titanium dioxide and other shit that makes paint cover well...that's why it helps to have a grey underneath a burgundy etc...otherwise you're doing multiple coats... like cracked ass said, rusto sunburst yellow is great and covers well..it does look like it has a tiny bit of red in it..but it's bright as heck

Archived