Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That one icy grape looks like the wrong top, looks more like a newer krylon grape top. Gotta be careful, see lots of people out there changing tops, or not knowing what the correct top is on a can. Just because you find it with a top on it, does not make it correct....

Nick, why do you collect cans you have never painted with, or never seen in your local shops?

Maybe you were in the USA back in the days i don't know, but for my part i don't really see the point in spending money to buy cans you don't have a special link with...

I really like to get all my cans myself, speak with the old seller, diggin the basement, etc.

I'm psyched on your collection, Nick Cook, but i can't help feeling a little bummed on that Wet Look selection. I've spent years looking for those, on actual paint hunts, and came up short every time. It's disheartening that someone in Britain can fork over money and have nearly the full lot without having to put in any real work. I would have expected folks from overseas to pay tribute to their own history and collect like Top Gun does. I wonder what relevance these have to you when they were never available outside of the northeastern US? I'd much rather see some vintage UK cans and a celebration of that history. I'm truly sorry to knock you, because I can see the passion is there. I just can't help but question the amount of money invested, and how much the internet played a part, when vintage cans are truly about heart and the hunt.

I can appreciate that. That particular spot where all those Wet Paints came from was one of the easier nuts to crack. I'm glad it worked out for people. There's a spot in Connecticut with 2 Wet Looks that the owner refuses to give up, even though he's 90 years old and I've introduced myself to him several times. Haha.

I'm psyched on your collection, Nick Cook, but i can't help feeling a little bummed on that Wet Look selection. I've spent years looking for those, on actual paint hunts, and came up short every time. It's disheartening that someone in Britain can fork over money and have nearly the full lot without having to put in any real work. I would have expected folks from overseas to pay tribute to their own history and collect like Top Gun does. I wonder what relevance these have to you when they were never available outside of the northeastern US? I'd much rather see some vintage UK cans and a celebration of that history. I'm truly sorry to knock you, because I can see the passion is there. I just can't help but question the amount of money invested, and how much the internet played a part, when vintage cans are truly about heart and the hunt.

That's exactly what i think when i see all those second-hand cans...

I've spent so much time walking, bicycling, driving, swimming(no not swimming:) ), hunting for cans...i don't understand what you feel when you are sitting on your chair biding dollars on Ebay auctions...

It's not that exciting is it? I can understand that you like some of the designs of US cans, but collecting the whole sets...Do you collect other cans than Krylon and Rustos? And why? For the history of US graffiti?

P1000699.jpg

P1000701.jpg

P1000702.jpg

P1000703.jpg

Archived