Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my european point of view, digging is the only way to get cans...i'm the only one collecting seriously here, there are some other guys, but with 100 cans collections...

I have almost all the "historic" Krylon colors, except Jungle Green, Icy Grape and the other tuff to find ones...I have digged every one of them, and i have emptied like 300 Krylon cans, to know what it was like to paint with 70's cans, like old-school heads. And i still have like 300 more to empty...

I can find like one old can a month on Ebay or other sites. And i don't pay more than 10euros for one can.

I have like 1500 cans, color-charts, key-rings, posters, racks, signs, ads, even ties and t-shirts!

Some of us here are doing a great job, sharing knowledge and encourage each other to go digging for history and memory.

I'd like to have news from OG5Ball, who was seriously getting cans!

And P-Jay i'd like to know if i got nabbed from you and your french friends, cause i never had news of the Pastel Yellow Name on can french Krylon box i mailed you. Thanks for being honest, i never had beef with you but with somebody that barely knows you.

You know it boils down to us all being a bunch of fuckin' nerds... We are 100% obsessive, border line retarded, introverted, anti-social, miss-fits who collect, clean, display cans. We're as sad and sappy as train spotters, just that the subject matter is dope. Fuck all of us... bunch of loser fucks... :)

Nick - I don't know if I've ever seen a full set of either sitting side by side like that. Pretty damn crazy sight to see. Any old schoolers ever remember seeing signs for either brand? Racks or signs? Must have been a crazy sight. Wonder who carried these brands? Whether it was Mom & Pop stores, or if they were sold at major chains too? Fresh...

Looking for any of the following:

-Decrolon paper labels

-Channel paper labels

-Utilac paper labels/Metal tops

-Krylon Plum ing. label

-Krylon Metal flake notch tops (gold paper label w/ car or van & truck)

-Krylon notch tops: Almond, Yellow Primer, Dull Aluminum, Flat White,

-Rust-Oleum Speedy Drys: Lavender Blue, Spring Green, Antique Black

-Zynolyte, 6 stripe Epoxys (Blue/White horizontal stripes)

-Red Devil Supreme Quality: Red Oxide Primer, Cherry Red

You know it boils down to us all being a bunch of fuckin' nerds... We are 100% obsessive, border line retarded, introverted, anti-social, miss-fits who collect, clean, display cans. We're as sad and sappy as train spotters, just that the subject matter is dope. Fuck all of us... bunch of loser fucks... :)

So true mate so true

So I was reading about this Evapo Rust in a trade magazine. It got some good reviews, so I went and picked up a can to try out on a few rusty cans I had laying aroud.

Before....

dsc0188g.jpg

dsc0189kb.jpg

After an Overnight soak....

dsc0192is.jpg

dsc0191go.jpg

No scrubbing or anything, just wiped off with paper towel when I was done. Not bad, obviously the rust removed the shiny coating so the rings are still tarnished. Overall I was happy with the item, and worked better than using steal wool which tends to make it not look right....

Most of the rust staining on the front picture probably woulda came off with a good cleaning, but the rims and the seam would have needed something stronger. Overall pretty happy with how the product worked, now I am trying it on a few other cans. One bottle cost about $9 but wonder how many times I can use it till it wil not work anymore. You have to submerge the cans in it anywhere from 30 mins to overnight. 30 mins showed improvement, but overnight worked best.

Most of the rust staining on the front picture probably woulda came off with a good cleaning, but the rims and the seam would have needed something stronger. Overall pretty happy with how the product worked, now I am trying it on a few other cans. One bottle cost about $9 but wonder how many times I can use it till it wil not work anymore. You have to submerge the cans in it anywhere from 30 mins to overnight. 30 mins showed improvement, but overnight worked best.

btw for this i have used vinegar works nice too.

There is alot of custom rusto colors that no one has ever seen. That is a really nice one. Off the top of my head in the older style label Flamebeau Red and Eastern Brown are two and I know I have seen one or two more. Certainly rare and probably well worth whatever the reserve is.

Archived