Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

Mid 50's. The copper on the end is the newest. That was the same design when they started making the "normal" size can. Early 50's they had almost no colors. Started with clear, then they had aluminum white and black. I believe these are the first style cans when they introduced color lines. All the earlier cans you find are normally just clear....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had my eye on this house around the corner from my job for a couple weeks. Old place lots of garbage piled up. Decide to drive by today and they are outside filling up a dumpster. They were nice enough to not throw the spray cans in, asked if I could have them and they said sure. Grabbed them up but had to run was in the middle of an errand. Told them I would come back....came back and everything closed up including dumpster. Stopped by after work and dumpster was gone already. Gonna keep an eye on this place, was a definite hoarders house and there is bound to be many more goodies.....shame about what I missed out on today already....

6831768528_e0b9974922.jpg

On a side note I am doing a little spring cleaning, making some room for diggin season. I listed several groups of cans for sale. They are all buy it now or best offer auctions, don't be shy, make an offer, I need to make some room....

I recently found this can of Glossy White, and in my haste thought "Krylon no lid; user paint". When I got home and realized it would be worth finding a lid, I checked my Hot Pink lid for a reference and went back. There was a white lid in the bottom of the box, no words, no screwdriver slot, so I thought for sure it was a match. But the lid doesn't look exactly like that of my Hot Pink. Is this the incorrect lid for my 68 Glossy White?

DSCN5430-1.jpg

DSCN5432.jpg

The lid most likely should say Imperial on the inside. That lid would work but not correct. Its only glossy white so not a big deal...

Oh, it does say Imperial with the crown logo on the inside.

next question;

What is the difference in production date on these two cans?

DSCN5433.jpg

Can on the right is a fat seam 13 oz, which I'm pretty certain is older.

When did Krylon switch from 13oz to 12, fat seam to skinny?

I don't know much about dates besides '68 cans.

IMG_1552.jpg

Anyone into old stock PTs?

Flat Black (Free 25% more) 3/4 full

Sage Green 1933 3/4 full

Gray Primer 1980 1/2 full

Semi-Gloss Black 1974 1/3 full

Purple 1961 full/unsprayed

Country Blue 1924 full/unsprayed

Flat White 1990 full/unsprayed

Soft Peach 1952 full/unsprayed

Terra Cotta 1965 full/unsprayed

Rose 1963 full/unsprayed