Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cap should not have a lip, looks like the wrong top it also looks like a flat top on a gloss black can. Name on can cans are not rare but there are certain colors like any year that are harder to come by than others.

I've noticed there are several name on can designs, though. Color code over top the name, color code to the side of the name. Any info on how many different designs there were, and what years they ran?

I did see something earlier on in this thread about other companies making cans for Krylon.

thanks for clearing up the confusion with the top.

I've noticed there are several name on can designs, though. Color code over top the name, color code to the side of the name. Any info on how many different designs there were, and what years they ran?

I did see something earlier on in this thread about other companies making cans for Krylon.

thanks for clearing up the confusion with the top.

Keep an eye out on the next Infamous Magazine issue. Me and the rest of the CMC crew have a two page spread this time around where we break down all the major design changes Krylon has been through.

What you are talking about would be the 66/68 krylon design versus the mid 70's name on can. You will notice when the color number is above the name the can will say "Spray Paint" as opposed to "Interior/Exterior Enamel". From the late 60's to early 80's the 5ball logo krylons were all made in different Name on Can styles. Though collectors routinley refer to "Name on Cans" as the later ones. If the can has the notch style cap we refer to them as "Notch Tops" which are just Name On Cans with the rare notch style cap.

So many subtle differences with all these cans I could go on forever, and new variations are always popling up....

Let infamous know that, sure they would appreciate it. Wish I could take all the credit, but there are several of us "Paint Nerds" over at CMC. Numerous debates over numerous pints on the different nuances of spray paint companies. Lot of people to thank for the accumulated knowledge, and way to much time in the "paint room"......

I tried to go to Infamous' website and my browser alerted me to it having malware.

What Krylon cans came with metal tops?

Also, I'm having a hard time figuring out what condomized means. I hope I'm not breaking any condoms, since I don't know what they are.

I am gonna go with 67.....metal or plastic top on that one? This is the second time I have seen a can like that. I wanna say the other one I saw was an avocado. Add this one up with other strange variations. Pre-Borden cans with full size tops (I have even seen pre borden can designs with full tops, but no borden logo displayed in borden ads), this 66-68 variation, fat seam name on cans, Notch tops with ing labels on the cap, ing labels and name labels on same cap and barcode top sherwin williams cans. Whoever said paint companies had to follow the rules....

I was going to say 1967 as well, because it has both traits of 66s & 68s.if I had to pick one of 66 or 68 I'd say 68. My reasoning would be, Perhaps krylon was adding hot pink to the line so they made that can before other colors with names that were not changed or new colors, because they had stock already, and then Krylon settled on the 68 style as we now know it. So in short I agree with both slyle and the description of the can on eBay.

i've searched and didn't see--is there an old markers thread?

I saw some old Marsh markers recently, but didn't pick them up. I think that guy is still holding sales and he's supposed to come up with some more paint for me. You want any markers I'll send 'em for cost+shipping. I noticed in KeepinItRail's thread you live in the same state, so shipping should be cheap, and the markers can't be much more than free.

Archived