Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice scores, the 1991 Krylon flatballs are getting hard to find at this point, especially new and unused.

vintage might seem like a fixed term, but in this field it doesn't take long. lots of spray paint doesn't have a shelf-life of 20 years, and the stuff is made to be thrown away. if you're a store owner (they had those before bLowes and Home Depot) and customers bring paint back saying it doesn't work, how long are you gonna keep it. and then if you do something drastic like the two big brands changing over valves, a lot of the older stuff is instantly in higher demand. Rust-oleum and Krylon were radically different products 20 years ago, so many things have changed since then.

I need to check them to make sure, but IIRC 1996 was the 3D-Ball logo, 1998 the box logo for Krylon... 1991 & 1994 cans are flatballs.

We used to think that the 90s cans weren't all that, but the 1998 boxlogos didn't last long. If you find them now you should grab them. People collect a certain style like flatball and it actually takes quite a bit of work to get the entire range; with a style like boxlogo, it'd be even harder if it only lasted like 2 years.

i even grab the new cans just before the cap change. theyll be worth something one day. i use all but a couple and save a couple of each color. square balls are very hard to find suprisingly. i fint more 91 flatballs ont he shelf than i do the squareballs. my collection is gradually filling in though.

i find more of the older rustos from early 80's and such on shelves than i do of 80's krylons. they are for some reason much harder to find in mint shelf condition.

some of the cans i haven picked up lately from 60's and late 50's i am really suprised even exist much less still sitting on a store shelf after 50+ years. crazy. those cans are the reason i do what i do.

A good portion of em don't work any more, at least a good portion that I have come across. The older the can the more likely the valve will be shot.

5857899982_25e77f435d_z.jpg

Anybody remember what these where (fat, skinny etc) I remember seeing them back in the day but I can't for the life of me remember what they did. Found these, along a with a bunch of rusted out cans, on a walk about down an abandoned sideage.

I posted them over in the caps thread too, but I figured I would ask over here too, probably more likely to get the real scoop.

Today's random find. Out looking for cans at an indoor flea market which turned out to be a major bust. But low and behold right behind that spot was an abandoned bldg. Being super curious and an urban explorer for most of my life I couldn't pass up the chance to go inside. Thankfully the door was wide open. Long story short, within 20 seconds I found all of these which made my stay inside very short so as to not get in trouble with Johnny blue shirt. Nothing major, but a few more cans saved from certain doom. All available to anyone who's interested. You know the drill. Enjoy.

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

Like I said found a tiny ass hardware store in the middle of nowhere. Shelves full of misc. paint, no rhyme or reason. I only had $30 on me, and dude only takes cash.

5861821173_5115b3e38c_z.jpg

5862373188_2df3c8afef_z.jpg

So much more on the shelf, I'm def heading back.

Get some pics of the store, or even the stock. Great to see stuff in natural enviroment....

Zynolyte Is that piff

Krylon cowboys what year are those produced ??

I would like a few I

Cant ever seem to catch them around my way

anyone have some history on the

Krylon cowboy??

Those krylon cans only enjoyed a very short run. Roughly 1959 to early 60's. The colors were kept, but that can style only lasted a very short time. Those are not easy to find, and thats the first ford grey one I have seen. Also seen one of the yellows (John deere or catepillar) and john deere green

Archived