Old Cans Of Paint, Serious Collectors

Slyle CMC

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about chromated paint or whatever i see on here, chromium would be pretty toxic too i think, then you have all the other heavy metals..aluminum paint has small flakes of aluminum i believe, that's what makes it so shiny, ive heard alum is linked to breast cancer (anti-pers. with alum silicate or something)..i do notice on old tins of rusto they actually list the pigments and ingredients which is pretty cool

I believe most paint still does have Xylene, as well as Toluene. Krylon and Rusto certainly do. As far as I know, the only paints that don't have xylene are some of the new nitro/acrylic formulas coming out of Europe, like MTN 94 and supposedly the reformulated German Montana stuff. I'd also heard that Ironlak and the other Chinese brands are xylene free, but still contain some toluene.

As far as lead goes, I don't think it's a bit issue unless you're exposed for a prolonged period of time, or it's in massive quantities. When I was working as a commercial painter, my lead levels were always anywhere from 15-35, and that with all the protective gear. If you're just spraying one can of paint for a fill one time, you're not going to die. If you do it every week, then it might become a problem.

Evening all,heres a tin of vintage unused Marabu Buntlack german graphic spray, I dont know how to tell the year but the design is def 80's i think they changed the graphics late 80s early 90s, this stuff was super expensive even by todays standards, im trying to source a colour chart for the stuff.

Anyone have any good tips on locating old stock, im in uk and there isnt a great deal of rusto or krylon about (they did import it though,I def had a tin of rusto, and I think krylon back in the early eighties, but it got used, anyways...

IMG_1573.jpg

Interesting... the early style has a fat lip overcap. Ticks D'you have a flick of the UK Krylon design that wasn't the 5 ball logo? Used to use them all the time, but don't have flicks of any of them. Also would love to see what else you've got in the stash man!

check out the early nozzles...!

0ffc4403.jpg

I dont have any collection, I have this and and I found some later buntlackd65d4a25.jpg

really trying to find "lilac" buntlack, I believe it got discontinued in the 80s??

As for the Krylon, thats long gone, I would love to get a vintage tin and rusto), I see them on ebay in the states but dont want to get stung on the import costs?? anyone have any advice on this??

Those old caps were classic! Ticks man... D'you remember two different styles of Krylon in the UK? I never saw the classic 5 ball design once, only cans that had like a box/square design on the front with a color arc in it that I've only seen in a grainy shot in the Brighton Graffiti book. The range I was used to was only like 5-6 colors: Popsicle Orange, Cherry Red, True Blue, Glossy Black, Glossy White, Bright Yellow? Actually I think the can style was rim in too. What d'you remember?

Anyone have a clean Krylon, Smoke Gray paper label?

Don't care if it's the can only... PM me if so. Willing to trade something nice in return.

Also after:

-Yellow Primer notch

-Pearl Gray notch

-Glowing Red-Orange notch

-Adobe ?notch?

Willing to trade or buy.

Archived