THE OS GEMEOS THREAD

brown twinkie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first you should know this thread is greatly appreciated...

what to say about these guys...hmmm, how about i love graff that is really expressive, really makes statements, about the world the artist lives in. these paintings are DIRECT commentaries on their culture. i mean everyone sounds stunned replying here...but no one can say why.. is it because in america not many writers want to say anything, other than their name, loudly, in your face? is our youth culture just not able to create street art like this? i dont know, but my scene and many i have seen say it aint happening. even these replies say so, "i love their throwies, nice colors", etc.why dont we have any prolific american graff artists doing as socially important work like these guys. i mean its like we see it can be done, its possible, (see above pictures) but why doesnt it happen here? i know i have put an effort forth, a modest one, but i do want to rise above this mentality of "i got a dope throw and nice letters, so i am a good artist." anyone listening i hope you can consider my views.

also, if there are artists doing as important work as this, please let me see it, post it, email me.

eatyourveggies is so very on point with his reply.

these paintings are DIRECT commentaries on their culture.

i've been trying to find the words to say that for a while, you hit the nail. i also love how they seem to be more about everyone else, its not about them being the artist its about the people. their work is so unassuming. i dunno, im so moved by their work i cant even properly comment.

yea they have some of the most outlandish stuff. I like the way theyuse that yellow pluse the locations are just CRAZY...

..and EatYurVeg i can see what your saying but if every writer started doing what these guys are doing it would seem so fake.as usual i cant get my thoughts across clearly but i hope you understand....

n whats with the "mediocre graff" bashing?

------------------

fuckitwhocares

Best visual thread ever. One day, who knows when, I want the world to be able to see my Os Gemeos albums. Your minds are already blown, but there is SO MUCH MORE. I don't mean this in any way as "I'm cool because I have all their flicks because we're friends" but more to the point, if you guys were to find every published internet or print flick of theirs, you'd still be only seeing 10% of what they've done, if that. AND IT IS ALL THIS GOOD. I cannot possibly understate these guys' impact on me personally and artistically. I fucking learned Portuguese just to be able to talk with these guys. I am so so proud to know them. They are the Tiger Woods of graffiti.

The name Os Gemeos is pronounced like this "Os (like the "oas" in the word "toast") -Gem (like a gemstone) - Ay (like Fonzie says, the "ey" in "hey") - and Os (like the first syllable.) It means "The Twins."

Sonik3000

Sempre Assim

....twinkie....thank you bro...its a post that moved me....

"eatyourveggies is so very on point with his reply."-b

...yeah i third that for sure....just to snip a quote, for all to think about again:

"these paintings are DIRECT commentaries on their culture. i mean everyone sounds stunned replying here...but no one can say why.. is it because in america not many writers want to say anything, other than their name, loudly, in your face? is our youth culture just not able to create street art like this? i dont know, but my scene and many i have seen say it aint happening. even these replies say so, "i love their throwies, nice colors", etc.why dont we have any prolific american graff artists doing as socially important work like these guys. i mean its like we see it can be done, its possible, (see above pictures) but why doesnt it happen here? i know i have put an effort forth, a modest one, but i do want to rise above this mentality of "i got a dope throw and nice letters, so i am a good artist." anyone listening i hope you can consider my views...."-eatyervegetablz

...considered and completely agree...its so fucking right on man...its good to know youre doing all you can veggie, and even if i dont ever see it, its good to know its existing somewhere out there for people to see...

....i really cant say anymore about os gemeos, it makes me wanna burst, it makes me wanna cry, it makes me think that maybe everything will be okay...

beauty....emotion...thought

inspired more then ever

rOe

Guest duh-rye-won

freekin incredible. thats the shit that makes me proud to be a writer. i think a lot of writers dont take advantage of the fact that you can use graff to actually say something. i love more traditional shit too, i have complete respect for simply rocking dope letter styles but i wish there was more of this type of graff around. what blows me away is that a lot of writers that go the "artsy" route, dont have great letter styles. these guys burn with traditional graff styles as well as their own unique styles. incredible stuff.

oops. i should probably read other peoples comments before i post my own because i obviously just rephrased whats already been said. my bad.

[This message has been edited by duh-rye-won (edited 09-07-2001).]

Guest duh-rye-won

freekin incredible. thats the shit that makes me proud to be a writer. i think a lot of writers dont take advantage of the fact that you can use graff to actually say something. i love more traditional shit too, i have complete respect for simply rocking dope letter styles but i wish there was more of this type of graff around. what blows me away is that a lot of writers that go the "artsy" route, dont have great letter styles. these guys burn with traditional graff styles as well as their own unique styles. incredible stuff.

good ass shit, i lived in sao paulo for two years and got to witness some of the works they have done, and like it was said it is a direct corrilation to what society is like there.. alot of them are illegal because the police force in that part of brasil is almost non-existant.. damn good post

i think os zèmeeosh paint their own fantasy world without caring if its graffiti or hip hop. I would also add that they dont try to be original.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9

broken record syndrome-

absolutely amazing work.

beautiful in every sense.

and some really good replies as well.

four thumbs up.

anyone of hispanic origin, anyone who's human, anyone who cares about graff has to love these guys.

the post is great and i can only imagine what goes unposted and undocumented. without trying to be overly dramatic, i don't think that everyone in graff has to have a greater social purpose, but i do think that the best ever have always know that their work was impacting society on various levels. the twins exemplify this kindof attitude and sentiment. and it's just that kind of ideology that can save graff.

thanks boys

Guest GoBiloe

what graff is meant to be.... they're kings of all elements... tags, throws, pieces, characters. beyond that they're amazing artists... graff or otherwise.

Guest djmike2600

Fucking brilliant!

Always loved those dudes.

Great to see writers not just plop their pieces anywhere, but actually paint in response to the wall/environment and turn the whole wall into a complete composition.

Excellent post.

M

Originally posted by eatyervegetablz:

first you should know this thread is greatly appreciated...

what to say about these guys...hmmm, how about i love graff that is really expressive, really makes statements, about the world the artist lives in. these paintings are DIRECT commentaries on their culture. i mean everyone sounds stunned replying here...but no one can say why.. is it because in america not many writers want to say anything, other than their name, loudly, in your face? is our youth culture just not able to create street art like this? i dont know, but my scene and many i have seen say it aint happening. even these replies say so, "i love their throwies, nice colors", etc.why dont we have any prolific american graff artists doing as socially important work like these guys. i mean its like we see it can be done, its possible, (see above pictures) but why doesnt it happen here? i know i have put an effort forth, a modest one, but i do want to rise above this mentality of "i got a dope throw and nice letters, so i am a good artist." anyone listening i hope you can consider my views.

also, if there are artists doing as important work as this, please let me see it, post it, email me.

bump for the intelligent

------------------

http://www.kastsystem.com/graffiti

Archived