where is rap going

Motha Fuka

Guest Ted Wakowski

Hip Hop (Rap, whatever) is going in a dope direction.

Right now you have a good deal of the really innovative/interesting/unique/thought-provoking stuff being done independently, keeping most of the bullshit corporations out of the mix and unable to get their dirty little corrupting hands on music that isn't designed for that purpose, which probably wouldn't sell anyway since most heads aren't that deep into music.

Then there's a nice selection of fairly generic, dance-music cannon fodder like Nelly, Ludachris, or whoever being fed to the masses on the mainstream frontlines, and they love it for its simple, openly accessable appeal. Pretty much anybody can jump on a dance floor and get down to some formulaic party beats with catchy lyrics.

There are some exceptions in all categories but everything is, for the most part, in the hands of those who appreciate it, so everyone wins.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

etheopians have a wide and diverse culture... why not perserve that?

CUZ THEY ARE FUCKING STARVING.

a rapper with 1000 record sales is not a successful rapper. sorry that the idea behind ENTERTAINMENT is to ENTERTAIN.. not just you and your friends, but THE MASSES. thats the point. look... if they embrased only the most eclectic of acts, would you be jocking the thug music? asking why they arent headlining?

music isnt made for art's sake for the most part.. its for the MASSES... who wants to back poor boy joe when he only has a tenth of 1% that can relate to him? rap stars today talk about shit people can relate to. BIG DREAMS...

sorry everything sage francis says doesn't apply to everyone.

dont get me wrong.. rap it up.. if you wanna talk about fish heads, tear that shit down... do it proper.. and if you get up, GOOD.. but dont knock down the cats who are getting up on their own avail...

Guest --zeSto--

here's one for you to think about...

lets say that 1% of all the cats who can rap are good enough to make a living off of it.

And lets say that 5% of those cats actualy make it rich.

why bother making music that sounds like the 0.010% who go 'bigtime'

if that's not your personal style? Sure you can always hope to put out

a catchy single that will sell, but at the risk of loosing the fan base that

gives you support as a struggling artist.

"What a shame, ninja's in this rap game, only in it for the money and the fame..."

alright...im not even going to waste my time reading this thread but....

you people need to suck it up and accept the fact that it is way more fun to roll on 20s, mack hoes and get some bling on your grill than it is to walk around with a backpack and be pissed off because the mumia discussion group wasnt nearly as fun as you though it would be.........

sorry your music sucks now....dont take it out on the rest of us

damn

Guest JIGSAW

theirs not much good mainstream shit, its funny because were I live the rap station doesnt, really play good rap, the alternative rock station does...the rap station wont play xecutioners, beastie boys, old cypress, but our rock station does...the rap station plays that, "My neck my back" bullshit songs..

Rap isn't dying or going down the crapper. Good hip hop is still around, it's just a little harder to find, a little more effort to search for than the stuff you hear on MTV or the radio (unless you're listening to university radio or independant). Every genre of music has this whole panic "Oh we're dying and sucking, Oh no, let's bitch and moan and not bother to look for artists who do kick ass" Indie Rock and Punk for god knows how many years have all been rumored to be dying..but they seem to be doing alright imho. Anyways instead of fruitless complaining why don't we put up artists that we enjoy?

Fermented Reptile, Gruf the Druid, (actually anything off of Peanuts and Corn I fall in love with), Jazzanova, Herbaliser, Blacklicious, Common, Vizion, Bullfrog, Deltron 3030, K-OS...

Other music I am presently enjoying...The Gossip, Hot Hot Heat, Glasgow Underground, Jorane.

Guest GEAsusONEnep
Originally posted by ana

Fermented Reptile, Gruf the Druid, (actually anything off of Peanuts and Corn I fall in love with), Jazzanova, Herbaliser, Blacklicious, Common, Vizion, Bullfrog, Deltron 3030, K-OS...

Other music I am presently enjoying...The Gossip, Hot Hot Heat, Glasgow Underground, Jorane.

Half of that shit is soooooo corny. Common is absolute garbage. He thinks his flow is original buts its really just terrible. Deltron 3030 is an absolute joke unless you're some fat pimply sci-fi nerd. Come on, how are you not going to mention cats who are actually good like Jay Z, Nas, Biggie or <GASP> Ludacris? But, its whatever. If you really like that shit, fine. But if you think you're impressing your friends with your vast collecetion of "underground hip hop", you're just clowning yourself.

i just remembered what about dre vs. jd beef

ahahahah dude that had me laughin for hours i mean how pathetic is that just listening to jd's pussy ass girly voice compared to dres had me rollin omg dude dre would fukin murder that slut back in the day ahahaha ohhh that fag

i think if jd wins the battle ill shoot him

on other note i feel u on that jigsaw its the same way here no rap station will play beasties or even biggie but they will bump that stupid ass bubba sparxxxxxxxx fuckin guy i hate him

All styles of music are the same. 90% of any given genre sucks. My personal opinion is that if you want to find music in any given category with any substance, you have to dive into it and dig. If you can relate to what someone like Jay-Z is rapping/singing about, you are a shallow human being. Shit, even Eminem has some semblance of substance and meaning to his songs. The whole baller thing that's taking over mainstream hip hop is completely ruining it. It's just retarded. When a superstar rapper with absolutely no skill starts a beef with the grandfather of hiphop, regardless of whether he's old, washed up, lame or whatever, something is just fucked up. Mainstream hip hop is, and has been for a little while, all about money, beef and any other childish activity that teenage boys partake in. Once gangster rap came into vogue, it just went completely sour. Not to say that all gangster rap is bad, but really sit down and listen to Tupac. It's idiotic. Gangster Rap was played out after NWA broke up, and it was just corny garbage ever since. I've been soured to hip hop for a long time now, but there's still some great artists pushing the music further. El-P is one guy that comes to mind immediately. SixToo from Canada I also enjoy a lot.

$0.02

Originally posted by GEAsusONEnep

Half of that shit is soooooo corny. Common is absolute garbage. He thinks his flow is original buts its really just terrible. Deltron 3030 is an absolute joke unless you're some fat pimply sci-fi nerd. Come on, how are you not going to mention cats who are actually good like Jay Z, Nas, Biggie or <GASP> Ludacris? But, its whatever. If you really like that shit, fine. But if you think you're impressing your friends with your vast collecetion of "underground hip hop", you're just clowning yourself.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Jay-Z, Nas and Ludacris, other than what I've gleaned from MTV and friends but my general impression is that they talk about money, girls or sex. I find lyrics pretty important and that whole bling bling, girls and imsulting other people thing makes me yawn. Maybe I'm wrong about their lyrics, if so throw me some songs that you like and I'll check them out.

i used to nitpick and hate on all the "commercial" raps, but

then if you think about it, that kinda closes you off to a bunch

of aite music (the operative word being "music"). now i stick

to the credo, "if it's good...it's good." let nelly make his music.

you don't have to like it. that's why there are underground cats

too. chances are that if everything was dope and everyone was

into it, people would still say this and that is wack...like what you

like and don't worry 'bout the next man and what's in his deck.

if you notice when a hiphop artist brings out a new cd they are all wearing baggy jeans and all ghetto etc

two albums later the armani suits and rollys royce shit comes on

i noticed that with puff daddy and eminem.... etc etc

Yep Vanity......listen to an old copy of O.C.'s "Word....Life" or The Poor Rightous Teachers song by the same title and that will tell you.....as far as today goes....I think Typical Cats,All Natural,The Pacifics,K-otix,the Boston heads,El-P,Percee-P and Godfather Don are still repping and not changing for the worst....also Kool Keith because he does what he wants and doesn't seem to give a fuck what anyone thinks.There are not to many people out there that could fuck with Godfather Don-definitely one of the best mc's ever.....hands down.

Guest Ted Wakowski

Re: alright...im not even going to waste my time reading this thread but....

Originally posted by boogie hands

you people need to suck it up and accept the fact that it is way more fun to roll on 20s, mack hoes and get some bling on your grill than it is to walk around with a backpack and be pissed off because the mumia discussion group wasnt nearly as fun as you though it would be.........

sorry your music sucks now....dont take it out on the rest of us

damn

Hahah "suck it up?"

Seriously, rolling on 20s and icing down my front teeth sounds fucking lame to me. Girls into that shit are even worse.

But that's just me. Some people simply have different interests.

To all those kids saying that all mainstream rap out right now is corny; you're corny. The new nelly jawn isn't THAT bad. At least the production was good, thanks to the neptunes.

Listening to just underground doesn't make you real. It makes you a dickriding nerd and a fucking idiot. A lot of your underground is underground for a reason; it sucks. Try listening to mainstream before you get into anything else. And I really don't know why you're all hating on Jay Z. Is it because he has his own clothing line, record label, and hes probably one of the biggest hustlers in hip hop right now? I smell jealousy.

I Think u need to shut the fuck up buddy. U have no idea what the fuck ur talking about and oviously u have a very false sense of what "rap" is. Rap, Hiphop whatever you want to call it has absolutly no relationship to MTV nowadays. Nelly isnt rap, ja ruwle isnt rap, those are all the dickridin fags that probly dont even write there own songs and have some fat white overaged mother fucker write them there "raps". Rap is when u fuckin ryhme, make up fresh,ORIGINAL lyrics and speak your mind with them either freestyle or pre wrote by the actuall artist. Oh yeah most rap and hip hop beats are not fuckin computer animated fuckin bulshitt bling bling ass sound effects, There original drum beats, a nice smoth tune to rap to. Music is going to shits, especially rap. All these fuck geekers on MTV are givng the true lyricist and rap a very bad name and its pissing me off.

Money is worthless, invest in gold.

Yeah... Jay-Z... cause hes not wack at all....

Del could outrhyme him, and is a lot more original and entertaining.

Guest Daddy_Screw
Originally posted by catwash

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

It's all about Braintax + Taskforce, recognissssse.

and Roots Manuva

Guest GEAsusONEnep
Originally posted by DirtyO'Crakr

I Think u need to shut the fuck up buddy. U have no idea what the fuck ur talking about and oviously u have a very false sense of what "rap" is. Rap, Hiphop whatever you want to call it has absolutly no relationship to MTV nowadays. Nelly isnt rap, ja ruwle isnt rap, those are all the dickridin fags that probly dont even write there own songs and have some fat white overaged mother fucker write them there "raps". Rap is when u fuckin ryhme, make up fresh,ORIGINAL lyrics and speak your mind with them either freestyle or pre wrote by the actuall artist. Oh yeah most rap and hip hop beats are not fuckin computer animated fuckin bulshitt bling bling ass sound effects, There original drum beats, a nice smoth tune to rap to. Music is going to shits, especially rap. All these fuck geekers on MTV are givng the true lyricist and rap a very bad name and its pissing me off.

Money is worthless, invest in gold.

You're right. I need to shut the fuck up. I keep forgetting that you're the authority on what hip hop is real and what isn't. PLEEEEEEASE you fucking nerd. I never said I liked Nelly or Ja Rule. Jay Z is original. Nas is original. Beanie is original. If you don't think they're not writing "fresh, original lyrics", then you're a fucking idiot. Stop hating on mainstream because its mainstream. You don't like how they rap about girls, cars, money and ice? Too fucking bad. No one said corny white boys like you are supposed to like it. Its not FOR corny white boys like you. Bling bling ass sound effects? Do you seriously have some sort of mild retardation? Not everyone wants to hear gritty sampling and drum machines all the time you fucking idiot. If you can afford a dope production, you're going to use it. That doesn't make it any less hip hop. Who cares if they're on MTV? They're GETTING MONEY. These are people that are used to living in smelly, shitty row homes and projects that are infested with coach roaches. They're naturally going to have a "get money" attitude and buy nice things after they get that money. Go listen to your "underground" you fucking suburban backpacking nerd.

"You're right. I need to shut the fuck up. I keep forgetting that you're the authority on what hip hop is real and what isn't. PLEEEEEEASE you fucking nerd. I never said I liked Nelly or Ja Rule. Jay Z is original. Nas is original. Beanie is original."

yup yup

"If you don't think they're not writing "fresh, original lyrics", then you're a fucking idiot. Stop hating on mainstream because its mainstream. You don't like how they rap about girls, cars, money and ice? Too fucking bad. No one said corny white boys like you are supposed to like it. Its not FOR corny white boys like you."

even tho shit like the blueprint had nothing to do with cars/ice whatever whatever but i get your point an i think he does too.

"catch me in a bentley coupe/im not braggin its just simpley the truth"

"Bling bling ass sound effects? Do you seriously have some sort of mild retardation? Not everyone wants to hear gritty sampling and drum machines all the time you fucking idiot. If you can afford a dope production, you're going to use it. That doesn't make it any less hip hop. Who cares if they're on MTV? They're GETTING MONEY. These are people that are used to living in smelly, shitty row homes and projects that are infested with coach roaches. They're naturally going to have a "get money" attitude and buy nice things after they get that money. Go listen to your "underground" you fucking suburban backpacking nerd."

welp folks, that about sums it up, theres nothing else to see here...

Originally posted by evry1s nthng

Yeah... Jay-Z... cause hes not wack at all....

Del could outrhyme him, and is a lot more original and entertaining.

your problem is you dont look for shit outta jay-z

if your not listening for this shit guess what? your not going to hear it

if nas himself on hot 97 said jay-z's his second favourite rapper of all time an 50 cent said hes in the top three, then who are you to tell people like nas and 50 whats good hip hop?

oh, your an internet persona

my fault... shouldnt have even tried...

*i am now exiting this thread for fear of feeling the need to correct everyone i feel is wrong... soooooo see ya, hope i dont end up back here

:lol:

Originally posted by iCEBERG

your problem is you dont look for shit outta jay-z

if your not listening for this shit guess what? your not going to hear it

if nas himself on hot 97 said jay-z's his second favourite rapper of all time an 50 cent said hes in the top three, then who are you to tell people like nas and 50 whats good hip hop?

oh, your an internet persona

my fault... shouldnt have even tried...

*i am now exiting this thread for fear of feeling the need to correct everyone i feel is wrong... soooooo see ya, hope i dont end up back here

:lol:

uh, that was the most incoherent thing ive ever read on this board. it reads like a book helen keller wrote in cursive. but from what i can manage, you are tryint to say that i am telling nas who is good... no. i am telling YOU who sucks. please show me where the hell i addressed the fucking post "dear nas" or some shit. and an internet persona... you have more posts that i do! maaan!

"uh, that was the most incoherent thing ive ever read on this board."

no it wasnt

"it reads like a book helen keller wrote in cursive."

that was clever

"but from what i can manage, you are tryint to say that i am telling nas who is good..."

no thats how you took it. re-read what i wrote genius, figure it out

"no. i am telling YOU who sucks."

i never asked

"please show me where the hell i addressed the fucking post "dear nas" or some shit."

you didnt, why did i say you did somewhere?

"and an internet persona... you have more posts that i do! maaan!"

your right, so i guess your not an internet persona to me or anyone else now?

my point was you saying something like your previous statement, is like me telling tiger woods on an internet forum his swing is off :lol:

uh, that was the most incoherent thing ive ever read on this board.

you've completely missed my point but successfully came across as borderline retarded

take a hike, you dont want none.... "pleeb beleeb" it

Originally posted by iCEBERG

"uh, that was the most incoherent thing ive ever read on this board."

no it wasnt

"it reads like a book helen keller wrote in cursive."

that was clever

"but from what i can manage, you are tryint to say that i am telling nas who is good..."

no thats how you took it. re-read what i wrote genius, figure it out

"no. i am telling YOU who sucks."

i never asked

"please show me where the hell i addressed the fucking post "dear nas" or some shit."

you didnt, why did i say you did somewhere?

"and an internet persona... you have more posts that i do! maaan!"

your right, so i guess your not an internet persona to me or anyone else now?

my point was you saying something like your previous statement, is like me telling tiger woods on an internet forum his swing is off :lol:

uh, that was the most incoherent thing ive ever read on this board.

you've completely missed my point but successfully came across as borderline retarded

take a hike, you dont want none.... "pleeb beleeb" it

im sure you want me to come back so you can have an internet beef so you can take out all your frustration from your mom yelling at you for never going outside... so ill just leave you with the bare facts... and ill STAY away, unlike you. im done with you.

Archived