Longboard Accident

ana

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

his broken angel wing tattoo... and he sings about broken wings in one of his songs, im a little too fucked up to requote the lyrics. im not tryin to bag, but i wouldn't pay someone to put that on my chest.

I HAVE TATTOO LIKE JA RULE?!?!? SWEET!!!!!!

once I get my chest finished and all the rest of it worked on and the back ground work yadda yadda yadda it will look alot different but this is what it looks like when you get your stuff done as you get money for it.

plus I could give 2 shits less if you would pay to have someone put this on your chest because its not your fucking chest.

maybe I should have gotten a tribal armband instead.

Surfin' in the Sixties

When I first learned to surf, there were actually still some balsa wood surfboards still being ridden in Galveston. We even knew one guy who used to bring his grandfather's "surfrider" down to the beach. It was hollow, had a skeg about two inches deep, with a round nose and a long, thin tail. Looked like something Duke Kahanamoku would have ridden at Waikiki anout 1938. The thing was like a boat. It had a brass drain plug in the tail. The kid would paddle out, ride a few waves, then come in, unscrew the plug and drain the seawater out of the board.

I had an older teenaged friend (I was 13--he was about 16 or 17) who worked at a surfboard rental stand on the beach at 25th Street. He would let me borrow a board when business was slow. Eventually I bought a beat-up "pop out" ex-rental board from him, and then later my Dad and I built one from a blank, and shaped and glassed it ourselves, in the garage.

Although it has no surfing, go rent the 1973 movie "American Grafitti." (It also has no graff. But it is American, LOL.) This movie has a host of young-at-that-time, hip actresses and actors who later became major players in Hollywood: Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford, Cindy Williams, Mackenzie Phillips (daughter of Michelle Phillips of "Mamas and Papas" fame) and Paul LeMat. LeMat has the distinction of playing one of the best portrayals of an American icon I have EVER seen on film--John Milner, the 26-year-old teenager, trapped in the hot rod Fifties and unable to come to grips with the Sixties. He is awesome. Mackenzie Phillips does a perfect job of playing a 13-year old girl who cannot wait to be "grown up," right down to the Dewey Weber t-shirt. (I actuially owned a t-shirt exactly like that in 1964.)

Edit 6/10/02: I ALMOST FORGOT--We were all wondering who the beautiful blonde in the Thunderbird was (she's the Mystery Girl) and it was Suzanne Sommers in her very first big movie role. "American Grafitti" really jump-started her career, and she was in big demand for a while.

This movie PERFECTLY portrays that snapshot of high school in the Sixties and oddly, the Beach Boys era. Pay particular attention to the high-school sock hop. We were doing "the Stroll" exactly like this in 1964 and '65 at my junior high school.

Milner telling the overly-effusive and hero-worshiping Toad ("He HAD me, man,") and Toad's refusal to accept it ("No WAY, John! You blew him away! It was BEAUTIFUL!") in some way really tells the story of every small-town legend-in-his-own-time, who cannot but agree "Okay, Toad, okay. We'll take 'em all on," even though he knows that somehow, somewhere, the clock is ticking.

It's impossible to capture all the aspects of the '60s in one film, and I think it's a mistake to try. They left out civil rights, and Vietnam, and the Berkeley Free Speech Movement and a lot of other stuff. But they captured "high school" absolutely perfectly, as I and my friends lived it. Just add surfing. LOL.

Originally posted by Zack Morris

plus I could give 2 shits less if you would pay to have someone put this on your chest because its not your fucking chest.

maybe I should have gotten a tribal armband instead.

with that attitude, i'd go for more barcode tattoos

• 11 months later...
Guest im not witty

just got back from skating. i fell 3 times. i normally never fall cause i usually dont try anything to stressfull. just alot of bombing hills and stylin out. when i try to skate a spot is when i get hurt. like today.

trying to half cab this gap and cranked my board up, spinning into the air and hit myself in the hand with the truck at top speed. shit fuckin hurts.

Originally posted by bodice_ripper

I'd post a flick of my longboard...but i have an idea that it isn't a terribly good one...:(

doesnt matter what it looks like as long as it gets you around

i mean shit, the longboards i make have fiberglass strands hanging off of them

cause im too lazy to sand them down

i dont understand longboarders. maybe cause where i live theres alot of them that kinda fit into the abercrombie yeah dude, white middle america frattish kinda stereotype. but to each his own.

i mean shit, the longboards i make have fiberglass strands hanging off of them

you make your own for sale? or just for your self? cool either way, how did you learn?

Archived