Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Photography experiments

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by qsysue, Jul 29, 2011.

1. IOU_TOO

IOU_TOO Member

Holy fuck... UTAH?

And yes this thread is killer.

2. qsysue

qsysue Member

3. IOU_TOO

IOU_TOO Member

I need a Holga in my life.

4. qsysue

qsysue Member

My latest experiment--a homemade pinhole. Pretty standard.

What I started with: a box of birthday candles.

[​IMG]

I opened up the box completely and colored the interior all black. I also removed the plastic covering over the hole.

[​IMG]

I got some brass shims from a hardware store--that and the electrical tape were the only things I had to buy. The shims are super thin pieces of brass that I could easily poke a hole in with a sewing pin, and cut with scissors to have it fit inside the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I taped the pinhole to the center of the box (roughly) and then taped the box up completely with electrical tape. This is the finished camera.

[​IMG]

I put two slits along the sides of the box for the film to fit through. The box is wide enough that it's hard to get the film to go in one side and out the other, so I used a piece of flat cardboard (like from a paper tablet) to thread the film through the box. (Taped the film to the threader and stuck it through the box.)

I used reloadable film cannisters to store the film in, securely taped with electrical tape to the camera to prevent light leaks. I wound it using a little manicure tool that is long, thin, and basically flat. I drew an arrow on it so I'd remember which way the film needed to be wound.

Results...

This is a wood carving my dad made from a self-portrait I drew when I was small. This was roughly an hour exposure, in very dim light--I think the white spot/line is from a light glare traveling across something as the sun came up?

[​IMG]

This is a card a friend sent me on my desk. A few minutes exposure.

[​IMG]

Spongebob in my bathroom--probably about 10-15 minute exposure.

[​IMG]

5. Deine Mudder

Deine Mudder Senior Member

ha, neat!

never did pinhole on film, only paper and polaroid.

take that thing outside!
    vast depth of field is one of the nicest aspects of pinhole to play with,
    and sunlight allows for rather short exposure times.

have fun!

6. qsysue

qsysue Member

I did a double exposure with slide film, one exposure being redscale, one not. I underexposed the redscale too much though and it barely shows:

[​IMG]

I have other rolls I still need to develop.

I've also done some double exposure exchanges with Flickr contacts, where I shoot the roll once and then send it to someone who shoots it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also tried doing camera obscura in my house, but my backyard is pretty boring, so nothing very interesting got projected on my wall. I put the RR sign out there just so there'd actually be something in my yard.

[​IMG]

I also tried putting a pinhole over my digital camera (a Nikon 1). I liked the results best where there was all kinds of light leaks:

[​IMG]

Once I had it taped up good it wasn't as cool.

Another experiment I'm working on now is modifying an old box camera to use 2.25x3.25 sheet film. I kinda ran out of steam on it, maybe this thread will get me going again.

7. qsysue

qsysue Member

Haven't posted in here for awhile. Here's another double exposure, one exposure redscale, the other normal C41:

[​IMG]

The redscale exposures ended up being upside down.

[​IMG]

Deine Mudder likes this.
  8. qsysue

qsysue Member

I got bored and made another pinhole camera. This time I used a pinhole I got via ebay, it's machined, so it's perfect. I used a soap box for the camera:

[​IMG]

Only one frame from a test roll came out--didn't expose long enough for most of them. Here it is--some books on a shelf and a Viewmaster:

[​IMG]

I've almost finished off a second roll of film in it and will post anything that came out that's interesting.

9. qsysue

qsysue Member

Also, I messed around with some light painting in my garage awhile ago, when really bored. Here are the results. If you want to know more about what I used just ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brink and Fist 666 like this.
  10. IOU_TOO

IOU_TOO Member

11. MaksCorenWylt

MaksCorenWylt New Jack

I know this photog from Berkeley who does similar.

12. Deine Mudder

Deine Mudder Senior Member

@
    qsysue

I guess chances are slim you'll read this, but would like to see what came out of that little camera!

13. Brink

Brink Junior Member

so many dope ideas