1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

My first Flash animation.

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by imported_El Mamerro, Nov 7, 2001.

1. My first Flash animation.

Discussion started by imported_El Mamerro - Nov 7, 2001

Whoopeee.

The swf's freakin' huge right now, due to a series of 3D bitmaps that just got larger when turned into vectors, but the preloader should work fine for fast connections. 56k's should approach with caution... animation may lag during 3D scene. Hope you enjoy my debut into the world of animating, as stupid as it might be. Beer,

El Mamerro

2. suburbian bum

suburbian bum 12oz Loyalist

suburbian bum - Replied Nov 7, 2001

Not bad, i wasnt too entertained to be honest, but the graphics were good. What did you make that with?

suburbian bum - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  3. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Nov 7, 2001

It was all done in Flash and Illustrator, except the 3D part, which was the result of a 30-minute crash course on 3D Studiomax the night before the project was due (it was for class). We were supposed to do an animation showing some kind of visual explanation, and most people did very schematic, diagram animations in the "How To" fashion. I just wanted to make a dumb cartoon, so I was like "Yeah, this is an explanation of the process a naval vehicle goes through to eliminate its target...blah blah blah." And then I made a dumb cartoon. Teachers dug it cause it was more cinematic. Flash is fun. Thanks for feedback, I'm pretty new to this program. Beer,

El Mamerro

4. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Pistol - Replied Nov 7, 2001

It was taking forever to dload and I'm on DSL. That shit KO'd my computer after the 3d scene. I liked what I saw. I'm a sucker for visuals so I enjoy flash. How long did it take you Mamerro?

Pistol - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  5. avils

avils 12oz Senior Member

avils - Replied Nov 7, 2001

Took too long to load... time is money and all that..;)

I'm out.

avils - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  6. -Rage-

-Rage- 12oz Loyalist

-Rage- - Replied Nov 7, 2001

That's funny shit! It didn't take long to load for me.

-Rage- - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  7. alkaline

alkaline 12oz Elite Member

alkaline - Replied Nov 7, 2001

Not bad at all. It was kind of funny. The only thing was that the wireframe scene stalled and took about 3 minutes to complete itself.

My first flash animation was a Southpark version of the A-Team theme song. It was for a class I took a while back. I wish I still had a copy.

alkaline - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. BoB Hope ONER

BoB Hope ONER 12oz Elite Member

BoB Hope ONER - Replied Nov 7, 2001

yeah dumplin.. way to let the balls hang out bitch

BoB Hope ONER - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  9. sectorTVA

sectorTVA 12oz Senior Member

sectorTVA - Replied Nov 7, 2001

very nice...i messed around with flash for a bit but lost interest, i might try it again sometimes, but id much rather watch flash animations that other people do...

sectorTVA - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. HESHIANDET

HESHIANDET Guest

HESHIANDET - Replied Nov 7, 2001

dood, ive been on the flash nerd action scripting tip all week. you can cut your file sizes down by saving those scenes as individual movie clips etc tc etc etc etc

11. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Nov 7, 2001

You bastard, what's with that music at the end?

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  12. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

BROWNer - Replied Nov 7, 2001

i liked it. the end made me laugh.
    a bit slow too......did you do the sound design?

13. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Nov 7, 2001

Alright, I fixed the preloader... Now it takes longer to load, but the movie doesn't start until all the 3D scene is loaded, so the animation plays smoothly once it starts.

Hesh, I'm getting into action scripting now too, and I can find tons of ways to make that animation smaller. Unfortunately, I'm kinda done with that and moving to another project dealing with interactivity. The thing is, the animation itself is actually no more than 500 kb, including sound and its 20 fps framerate. What makes it so large (2.43 MB) is that sequence of bitmaps used in the 3D wireframe scene; they take up 80% of the file size. I know 3D StudioMax has an export option to render the animation as a series of vector images, which would lower the size incredibly, but since I had no idea how to use that program except how to build primitives and set a camera on a spline (which my roomate taught to me in 20 minutes), I had to settle for exporting it as a sequence of bitmaps. Then once in Flash, I tried the Trace Bitmap option, but it sucked terribly (instead of generating lines, it generated areas of black and white with hundreds of vector points) and made the file even larger. My teacher promised to show me how to export it from StudioMax the right way, but he hasn't so far.

Dirty, the music at the end is a loop from the mall scene in "Dawn of the Dead". If you listen carefully you can hear a zombie groan.

And Brown, yeah, I did the sound too. Some sounds were straight sampled from Panacea's sound/noise collages with no editing needed, but most were sampled of random CD's and edited in SoundForge. I think doing the sound was the most fun part, I'm definitely gonna get more into that kind of stuff.

Bob, eat shit: "here's a blue paper with something written, and it's Asian-
    and under it is a document by the Vestax corporation". On the rizzle. Beer,

El Mamerro

14. the brooklyn pimp

the brooklyn pimp New Jack

the brooklyn pimp - Replied Nov 8, 2001

i couldnt bear to wait through the load process and i have a cable modem. lets us know when that is fixed.

the brooklyn pimp - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  15. Fuxus

Fuxus 12oz Member

Fuxus - Replied Nov 8, 2001

That was really cool. Definately a nice first go at it. I like the audio, and the schematic drawings made it pretty cool to.

It did take about a minute or more on DSL, but that's not to bad.

Fuxus - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages: