Man sets himself on fire.

ODS-1

(This happened in my city today. Craziness.)Witnesses Shocked When Man Sets Himself Ablaze

Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

Protestor Sets Himself On Fire In Front Of Courthouse

Latest Headlines

Al-Qaida Group Kills American Hostage, Chief Suspect Then Killed

Thousands Apply For FEMA Assistance, Nearly $4 Million Distributed So Far

Witnesses Shocked When Man Sets Himself Ablaze

State Trooper, Wife Face Domestic Battery Charges

Website Declares Innocence Of Man Charged With College Freshman's Murder

Police Searching For Rapist Who Struck On Interstate

Have a Camera Phone?

Send us breaking news photos from your Camera Phone. Program your phone to use pix(at)wave3(dot)com as the email address. Digital camera photos, Click Here.

By Maureen Kyle

(LOUISVILLE, June 18th, 2004, 5:30 p.m.) -- A bizarre scene unfolded at Louisville's Hall of Justice Friday morning when a man set himself on fire. WAVE 3's Maureen Kyle was there.

In one hand the man carried a sign reading "WHO'S RESPONSIBLE" and also chanted "Whose Responsible Now" in a thick accent. In the other hand, he had a half-gallon container of gasoline and doused himself with it as he chanted.

A police officer on the scene was able to call for back-up. As more officers arrived, the man appeared to become more anxious. After walking around for about five minutes, he lit the back of his jacket, but then removed it almost immediately.

Sgt. Robert Calbert, of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, said he could smell gasoline when he went to check the situation after getting a call from dispatch. Calbert, who works at the courthouse, went back inside for a fire extinguisher and put the flames out within seconds.

Firefighters also responded and spent about 20 minutes cleaning up.

Maj. Henry Ott, a spokesman for the Louisville Fire Department, identified the man as 48-year-old Morteza Mehrpoubegan, an Iranian refugee. He was taken to a hospital and was in stable condition with minor burns.

People who watched the incident unfold were visibly shaken. "I had to ask for a hug," said Angela Burch. "I was so scared. When I seen him set himself on fire, I just dropped to my knees and prayed to Jesus."

Donna Nunn was just getting a newspaper when the commotion began. "We thought he was going to blow us up. Everybody was scared he was going to blow us up instead of himself."

FBI spokesman David Beyer said an initial investigation by the Joint Terrorism Task Force found that the man was not a terrorist.

"He has some personal issues unrelated to any terrorist matters," Beyer said.

So far, no charges have been filed against the man, who was listed in stable condition at University Hospital with second and third degree burns.

Crazy. This may be my last post of wasting time on 12 oz. So, FAREWELL 12oz.

EDIT* He was protesting what he said to be refugees not getting what they need when they come to this country.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

People who watched the incident unfold were visibly shaken. "I had to ask for a hug," said Angela Burch. "I was so scared. When I seen him set himself on fire, I just dropped to my knees and prayed to Jesus."

oh man that woman is such a pussy and bible lover and god fearer its a total turn on.

Originally posted by Armenhammer

^^^

jeez, everyone is a suspected terrorist now-a-days.

speaking of that

my friends dad is a light skinned east indian.. hes super light skinned with blue eyes.. and when their family went to this museum in SF, they were standing in line.. and the museum said that they were going to cut the lines soon...

so Mr. Sangha's cousin said, "well you guys better hurry this line up cus this guy here's a terrorist"

and everyone in the museum just stopped, eyes wide, jaws open and just staaaaaaarrrrrrrrrreeedd at him

Originally posted by ODS-1

Donna Nunn was just getting a newspaper when the commotion began. "We thought he was going to blow us up. Everybody was scared he was going to blow us up instead of himself."

What a racist redneck bitch.

Archived