Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

has anyone volunteered/worked overseas?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Bloc131, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Bloc131

Bloc131 Member

i am 20 years old and soon may be at a crossroads in my life. since 12oz prophet usually gives some quality advice i thought i'd ask here.

i've been roaming around a bit since i turned 18. moved to jersey, moved back home to kentucky temporarily, and then moved out to california to live for a bit. i have wanted to go back to school but haven't been sure if i wanted to settle down yet.

for a few years now i have entertained myself with the thought of going overseas - somewhere in europe. obviously a 20 year old (temporary) college dropout is not the richest person in the world, but i have had a strong desire to travel a lot and learn about a different culture. hoping to find a win/win situation, i have considered some of the following:

teaching english overseas somewhere? get paid a little bit for it and whatnot.

volunteer somehow.

any suggestions on what i could do would be greatly appreciated. i know i can depend on some of you for some pretty solid advice. i'm jsut trying to weigh my options right now. i just don't want to be 60 years old and realized i missed out on seeing the world and whatnot as well.

2. metallix

metallix Elite Member

apply for a foreign study. you can go to a public institution and do a few months during the summer , somewhere studying the culture/language. many schools offer japan, china, south korea, etc.

apply as a volunteer for the UN, doing some kind of "relief" work.

join the army.

travel to south america. learn the language and live with a family $150/week. theres a good magazine called "break" for $3.95 has a lot of good details on these things, travelling during break, etc.

you can also just save up some money and travel.

3. Bloc131

Bloc131 Member

i was looking for something where money would not be as much of an issue (*i.e. - teaching and getting money, or a place to stay or whatever)

the military lets you travel very little. you may be in another country, but you're not as free to do what you want as people think.

4. Bloc131

Bloc131 Member

5. Bloc131

Bloc131 Member

6. malnourished

malnourished New Jack

in terms of teaching english... im pretty sure that all of the company that offer that program require some sort of a college degree before you can apply. My best friend taught english in Japan. I went to visit him this summer and they hook you up good. Living in Tokyo he managed to save 10k in just over 8 months of work.

7. Bloc131

Bloc131 Member

right on. if i taught introductory english i may not need a degree. maybe i can find somewhere that doesn't requite it. i'm not sure. i'll keep on looking, but any more advice would be appreciated!

thanks

8. Telo

Telo Elite Member

nepal is a prettyu cheap place to live.. like 25bucks for rent a month give or take a few bucks..

9. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

just go over and find a job. it isnt as hard as you think, you just have to be motivated to get one. europe is good for under the table stuff. im sure australia is good for it too. i was going to go to japan with my girl and teach this summer, but all the places that hook you up with jobs want like a g to teach you how to teach english. seems kind of shady, and i think americans ned bachelors degrees for that. asia seems hard to find work in, maybe you could just buy a flat in like nepal for 50 a month and just bum around. try the uk, go work in scotland or england, you can travel on days off. and i think you can get an easy visa there.

10. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

You can go anywhere and find jobs, just don't expect to be working in an office building with air conditioning and cushioned seats. You'll most likely have to get a job that pays in cash, unless you have a European citizenship. Which means that you'll probably be doing manual labour, or working in a pub or bar or something. A friend and I are going to travel around Europe in two years, our plan is to find such a job, work like a bitch for a month or so, save the money, and then travel to the next place. Then once we run out of money, find another job, work like a bitch, and so on.

My mum taught English to Japanese kids. They give you a course of what stuff to teach them, and how to do it. I don't think you need any kind of degree to teach the basics....

Good luck with whatever you end up doing :cool:

11. non-hetero

non-hetero Member

esl

Having a degree really depends on what country you are going to and how much money you want to make.

Teaching ESL (english as a second language) is definately not under the table work so it requires a work visa. Business oriented countries (where the bling is) require a degree before you can obtain a visa.

There are some work arounds for the student aged population just for ESL. I think Japan has something like this.

For those countries that require no education before getting a work visa you will simply have lower paying jobs.

Also you are going to want to take an ESL course here in north america before you start job hunting. Around $500 CAD.

And as for the details. You may or may not have to develop your own course material but yeah, it's only basic english stuff. You are going to either teach -very- young children english or, more commonly, 12 and up (who already know english -very- well) proper pronounciation and appropriate conversation slang. Basically you just help them get comfortable with conversations and showing them how to use the north american english accent.

All this information is just shit I learned by researching. Lots of info on the net. Read it all then read it again. Also research your country. Don't want to get arrested by doing something stupid like practicing christianity or smoking dope and end up in jail for the rest of your life.. Those wacky asians.

I've personally never taught ESL.

12. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

a friend of mine got a degree of the internet and that was enough to get him a place. have a look around the web for some half-assed english degree and you're in

13. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

im going to start my teaching degree soon, i was thinking that afterwards i would go to brazil and teach there through an aid organisation or something. they pay you just enough to live on and you would be there for a year or two. ive been there before and i loved it, i can speak basic portugese and i am looking into a course to learn more advanced stuff. its all a long way off yet.

14. Bloc131

Bloc131 Member

you guys rule. i knew i could depend on you. god bless the 12oz.

(keep the info coming if you got it!)

15. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

go teach english in asia...easy to start doing dont need any more than a highschool diploma sometimes, and you make bank...look into it.