good FILM SCHOOLS you know of?...

ElectricitySucks

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

For more than 30 years, Tisch School of the Arts has drawn on the vast resources of New York City and New York University to create an extraordinary training ground for the individual artist. Our students learn their craft in a lively, inventive environment that combines the professional training of a conservatory with the liberal arts education of a major research university.

Tisch's eminent faculty members -- all professionals and creative artists in their own right who set the standards in their fields, have received Oscars, Tonys, Obies, Emmys, Grammys, Bessies, and many other professional awards. As you work closely with these renowned professors, you will find the process of creating and collaborating as part of a close-knit, stimulating community of students and faculty to be both professionally valuable and personally rewarding.

Tisch's facilities comprise one of the most modern and complete physical plants of any school of performing and media arts in the nation. Facilities include 60 editing rooms, 25 film and video screening rooms, sound-mixing studios, one of the largest soundstages in the East, numerous photography darkrooms and laboratories, and six sprung-floor dance studios.

Beyond the classrooms and studios of Tisch are the incredible cultural and artistic resources of New York City -- an endlessly inspiring backdrop for countless filmmakers, photographers, and playwrights. You will find that the city provides you with constant exposure to the very best examples of your chosen profession. In addition to coursework, internships can give you the most hands-on exposure to the most exciting work done in the industry as you work side by side with established professionals in film, television, radio, theatre, photography, and dance.

As a Tisch student, you have the opportunity and the privilege to follow in the footsteps of such illustrious Tisch alumni as Oliver Stone, Alec Baldwin, Spike Lee, Amy Heckerling, Ang Lee, George Wolfe, Tony Kushner, and Marcia Gay Harden -- men and women who have admirably succeeded in redefining the performing and media arts.

I don't know? I remembered a movie where kids went to NYU for film and were getting murdered so thats the only film related school I know of. Holler.

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks

im looking to stay on the east coast....

Originally posted by EarMuffs

vancouver film school..

ummm....... And the Vancover film school is crap from what I've heard.

A friend of mine demanded his tuition back and they actually gave him 1/3 of the year back.

He was told to expect certain things, and they didnt deliver.

but for the east coast...... NYU Tisch.

but really... fuck a film school.

I speak the truth on that.

The only thing I got out of film school

was drunk, laid, drunk, laid, drunk and laid.

Hell... it beats getting a degree in english.

and just FYI... there's 2 kinds of film schools.

the artsy wanker schools where you talk about obscure films all day but no one (proffs included) even knows what a grip stand or a kinoflow really does.

the tech school that trains people to be news crews and how to get their hands dirty and get a paycheck.

--- guess which one I'd recommend

word to key...

NYU, USC, AFI...

I go to SCAD. Its got a real weird reputation, and the town's pretty dead. But the school's film dep. is pretty badass. Tons of equipment, guaranteed to get into the major, guaranteed to shoot as much as you want. Unlike some schools that only let certain students shoot thesis films.

FSU is good too. They pay for your film.

I don't study film at school fyi...

yeah really it's all about getting into the gear room,

shooting as much shit as your can for free,

and using the suites as much as possible.

before I went to film school, I told myself that

I would sleep with the hottest girl in the program.

It took me 2 years... but It happened. That was WAY

more rewarding that having some shit submitted to some amature hour festival bullshit.

Yeah there's some like that out here to.

Trebas is the notorious one. It's like 30k to get a diploma

and there's no guarantee of a job. The best way to get work....

go to the cheapest college that has half decent gear

and get to know everyone you're stuck with.

Your peers are your hiring pool. For real.

err.... I went to film school and I make good money.

I wouldnt recommend it to someone who doesnt know some people on the inside.

*it really is all about who you know.

I mean, if you know film is what you want to devote your life to, then it couldn't hurt to go to film school. you learn a hell of a lot.

But, you're not guaranteed a job actually making films once you're out of school. From what I've gathered Kilo, you're situation seems a lot more enjoyable than the kinds of jobs most film kids get out of school.

If you have enough drive, you can study film on your own and major in something else at college. At least that's what I'm hoping.....

Although it depends on who you know most of the time, if you have enough drive I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

But, if you or your parents are breaking their backs to put you through school, and you're gonna have a ton of loans to pay off afterwards, you may want to try another field of study.

yeah... college is an investement and you need to think about payback.

If you invest 30k into an MBA, you will be making the money back.

If you invest 30K into film school.... you are retarded.

If you invest 30K into a FILM and you enjoy watching it when it's done,

then you have well spent the money. Simple.

A lot of my film school was just kids who thought it would be 'cooler' than a biz course.

There were also kids with cameras glued to their hands who shot everything they saw.

Those kids made good flicks and are working today.

thanks everyone for the tips. ive been looking into this whole thing for quite some time now and just wanted to say that..

1-nyu is out of picture. im not rich. anything thats around 30k is a no-no. yes i know, this reaaaaally breaks it down in terms of film school. (financial aid wont help too) i know that already. moving on.

2-without sounding completely retarted, i have been involved in film/acting since i was 10 years old. the only thing i want to do in my life right now is be a director. ive been wanting to do this forever, and i cant picture seeing myself be anything else. so yeah, i def. have that "drive."

3-obviously, im more into the movie-making side of film, not the tv broadcasting communications thing.

4-I also DONT want to go to an artschool type thing. i am a nazi when it comes to kids trying to outweird each other who wear tight pants. i want to party and fuck shit up at college too...and be serious about film. haha.

one school i am considering is SUNY purchase. seems to have a good film progam. anyone know anything about that one?

thanks again.

Originally posted by ElectricitySucks

2-without sounding completely retarted, i have been involved in film/acting since i was 10 years old. the only thing i want to do in my life right now is be a director. ive been wanting to do this forever, and i cant picture seeing myself be anything else. so yeah, i def. have that "drive."

3-obviously, im more into the movie-making side of film, not the tv broadcasting communications thing.

Film School doesn't help you make films. It helps you learn how to make better films. There's no edge, as far as finding the means to produce a film. Someone who didn't spend $100K on film school is in just as good a spot as you...though, depending on the person, they may not have the tech skills you'd have.

4-I also DONT want to go to an artschool type thing. i am a nazi when it comes to kids trying to outweird each other who wear tight pants. i want to party and fuck shit up at college too...and be serious about film.

haha.

Not to be a ball-breaker, but if you're as into studying film as you say, I don't think you'll be partying much. Then again, Key seems to have been the exception...

one school i am considering is SUNY purchase. seems to have a good film progam. anyone know anything about that one?

Not as much as the other schools I mentioned, but what I have heard was good. I'd suggest visiting. See what kind of equipment they have, how often and for how long can you rent the cameras/equip. What experience do the prof.'s have. etc.

Key might know more about it.

And theres a book out called...Film School Confidential I think....

thanks again.

...i'll tell you the same thing i told the other kid...look into public schools that have good film programs...you'll wind up with a better degree (remember you might need a regular job inbetween trying to get directing jobs) and they are way cheaper...and why are you knocking the 'art' approach to film making...what do you want to do?...direct comericials?...reality tv?...almost everyone that is successful at making quality films either went to art schools or are heavily influenced by the art world and people they know...what's so wrong about reaching a point where you have a greater understanding of what it is that you're making and putting in front of people from an intellectual point of view?...remember, anyone can hire some lacky that knows technical stuff...but building and developing ideas takes a lot of work and an intellectual dialouge...

...most of the people that are in art school to 'out-weird' other people drop out after the first semester...

what do you mean?

Projects I've done?

Almost everything I do involves a lot of people

and a lot of money. The only thing I've 'produced' lately is an instructional Karate DVD.

Archived