DARK DAYS...the movie

SuburbianBrat

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My girlfriend bought me the DVD for my birthday. It's EXCELLENT - definitely something you all should get your hands on.

The movie documents homeless people living in the NYC subway tunnels - how they get by, their homes, their personal lives, etc. The entire soundtrack is done by DJ Shadow, which is the perfect music for the dark black and white scenes.

The DVD shows the making of the movie .. something that is still hard to believe. The guy who made the film had never picked up a video camera before he decided to make the movie. He apparently got the idea when he was hanging out with the dudes in the tunnel. That's what I found odd - that a guy with an apartment in the city would go down to the tunnels day after day to sit and chum around with those stuck in the situation. Anyway, all of the power they used to make the movie was tapped off of main NYC elec. lines that run belowground. Plus, a lot of their homes/shacks in the subway are powered by elec., have make-shift toilets, TVs, rugs, beds, couches ... all things considered, they've set themselves up pretty sweet.

So, yes: I wholeheartedly suggest you watch this movie.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

My girlfriend bought me the DVD for my birthday. It's EXCELLENT - definitely something you all should get your hands on.

The movie documents homeless people living in the NYC subway tunnels - how they get by, their homes, their personal lives, etc. The entire soundtrack is done by DJ Shadow, which is the perfect music for the dark black and white scenes.

The DVD shows the making of the movie .. something that is still hard to believe. The guy who made the film had never picked up a video camera before he decided to make the movie. He apparently got the idea when he was hanging out with the dudes in the tunnel. That's what I found odd - that a guy with an apartment in the city would go down to the tunnels day after day to sit and chum around with those stuck in the situation. Anyway, all of the power they used to make the movie was tapped off of main NYC elec. lines that run belowground. Plus, a lot of their homes/shacks in the subway are powered by elec., have make-shift toilets, TVs, rugs, beds, couches ... all things considered, they've set themselves up pretty sweet.

So, yes: I wholeheartedly suggest you watch this movie.

what he said.

yeah that shit is real and the people in it are real

but that spot is hotter that hot now

it always was a nice place to visit but damm i wouldnt

wanna live there...

im sure its another exploitation of poor homeless saps

damm i gotta get my video camera out

they should make a CookBOOK,,,

the DARK DAYS COOKBOOK

a selection of fine cuisine from the trash of the

rich and famous, cooked deep in a subway tunnel

and eaten on the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket

Guest ctrl+alt+del

Dark Days is a great song, do they have a soundtrack for the movie out? Dj Shadow is excellent, my favorite song is "Midnight In A Perfect World"

Originally posted by OMARNYCAKASW1

im sure its another exploitation of poor homeless saps

Actually, it's not. The entire movie crew were the dudes living down there, and all of the proceeds from the film went to getting them out of the tunnel and on their feet. It updates the lives of all of the main characters from the documentary, and all but two aren't living on the streets anymore.

• 2 months later...

I Own Myself A copy of Dark Days... I watched the movie ten days straight.. I am intrigued to see what people that are down and out are able to do with stuff we take for granted.... The living conditions in the tunnels , seem to be a hell alot better then the harsh winters on the streets. besides that the movie has some dope tunnel graff, alot of ment tvt

I got my copy at www.amazon.com for ten bucks.

Reviewer: A viewer from San Francisco: This doc is nothing special, just a bunch of homeless living in the tunnels. Nothing new. In addition, the ending is so boring and predictable - it looks like a public service announcement. At what point we became so fascinated with other people unhappiness? First we make a show out of it, compare these people with rats, then we enjoy seeing somebody living worse than we do, and feel sorry for them. I give one star just because it was shot in focus, and the director really tried to be creative.

person who comes to mind?

80% of the population of the US is like this reviewer...in my opinion.

finally watched it 3 weeks ago and was impressed, a quality film...my friend has the dvd and all the extra stuff about the filming of it and biographys of the people in it made me appreciate it more too, so yeah, definently recommended, and DJ Shadow on the soundtrack is a bonus too, totally fits the mood of it

Archived