The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_4940.thumb.JPG.a0175cac8cea27b326634438a686d4c2.JPG Do not buy this shit. Was $10 a six pack and still a rip off. It's a major chain cashing in on the craft beer scene, the side even has some cheesy bullshit like "legend has it that joe cheesedick swam ashore the west coast of Australia with nothing but a glass of amber ale in his hand and when he looked over the amber sands he said I'm the worlds most lucky man". It even has a cliche name- Steamrail.

On the back it says Brewed under license for Luquorland Australia. Say no more....

Reds should always be malt driven do these people just completely disregard style guidelines?

An Irish red, sure. Not a red IPA, red eye ale or others (according to my tastes at least!). I like citra/galaxy/other fruity style hops in my red IPAs with a good balance between maltiness and citrusy bitterness.

I guess.

the microbrews are all swinging from the heels these days. Trust. I've worked in the industry for the duration of the last ten years. I saw the heights and the demonstrably horrible rise in "what else can we do" to make things "heavy." Married to beer and food industries for this long, the next thing to come along will be better in that the Midwest will be hiding its secrets still. I'm as upset as a west coaster can be. IPAs are still dominant here, but I've been drinking swill like Lagunitas and PBR. Hops are supposed to just be stayers of freshness. All the sudden, they got to be glorified.

I had 5 Angry orchards before dinner. Now, I'm drinking alovera and apple juice.

Well red ipa isn't even a real style so I guess that one doesn't register to me. No idea what red eye ale is either. Google is confused also. Damn bearded brewers.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

Sorry, that was meant to be red rye. Not sure if you do booze these days, if you do and can get your hands on a Modus Operandi red, that will give you an idea of a red IPA, mountain goat Fancy Pants is similar.

Probably not a traditional style beer but tradition can often be a constraint on progress and evolution (or the inevitability of bad habits, sometimes).

I guess.

the microbrews are all swinging from the heels these days. Trust. I've worked in the industry for the duration of the last ten years. I saw the heights and the demonstrably horrible rise in "what else can we do" to make things "heavy." Married to beer and food industries for this long, the next thing to come along will be better in that the Midwest will be hiding its secrets still. I'm as upset as a west coaster can be. IPAs are still dominant here, but I've been drinking swill like Lagunitas and PBR. Hops are supposed to just be stayers of freshness. All the sudden, they got to be glorified.

I had 5 Angry orchards before dinner. Now, I'm drinking alovera and apple juice.

Yep, hops was a preservative just as trains were for transport and spray paint was for wicker chairs and letter boxes. In all three cases their uses evolved to create new and better uses, it's progress, embrace it!

I didn't know that about the wicker chairs and boxes. Still have two Angry Orchards stashed away. Ticking the clock til New Year's, or until I meet death, I can have coffee. Stumptown is awesome. Why don't we have a coffee thread? It would probably get real hipster real fast

Same amount of time in the craft beer industry mate. I agree with the nausea of making everything heavy. And the ridiculous craze of trying to outdo ibu counts. Putting enough hops in to induce 1001 ibu doesn't mean the wort is going to absorb anywhere near that. Anyway. I am all for the innovation side of craft beer it's when they start calling them IPA or some such when it clearly isn't.

Not drinking anymore mate but still interested in what's going on. I am an Irish Red Ale fan and Red Ale in general. Was interested in hearing what Stalwood from Nail cooked up, he's a bit of a hometown hero.

I'm happy for hops to be the hero. I used citra before it was cool. At the end of the day it's up to what you like to drink, just don't bastardise the tradition that created the platform for your success.