Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

Re: Cooking with Are2

dayum blast from the past.

so, a recipe.

i'm gonna go home and make shrimp kebabs tonight i think.

soy sauce and honey marinade, i don't have any balsamic

*edit, yes, i do..maybe a little of that instead of soy

throwin in a little cardamom and coriander

i am loving these two spices.

slap some peppers or pineapple or both on there tooo.

with rice.

and maybe a little salad.

homemade salad dressing:

1 part balsamic vinegar

3 parts olive oil

blend well with 1 tblsp of dijon mustard

basil, salt and pepper to taste.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmm i think i should come up with a recipe for "ho cakes"

maybe some variation of strawberry shortcake but with chocolate whipped cream and raspberries.

yes, that'll be it.

biscuits with white chocoiate sauce, raspberries and chocolate whipped cream.

ha!

I think I'm gonna make a ham and some broccoli... hmmm, I gotta head to the store I think... maybe burgers on the grill... but the ham IS defrosted... but it is 3 oclock.

The decision is made, Crucial BBQ.

well, if it wasn't this thread maybe you'd have seen Mr. Raven's 5+ page cooking thread and that would have killed your idea...

right now, NOW! Burgers off the grill, corn on the cob, Beck's beer.

scrimpz.jpg

Thai Coconut Green Curry Shrimp

1 1/2 Tbps. Green Thai Curry Paste

1 14oz. Can Coconut milk

Green Thai Chilis minced

Lemongrass shoot

Scallions

Ginger

1 Tbps. Thai fish sauce

8oz 40-60 count shrimp

Mix paste, coconut milk, chilis, crushed ginger, crushed lemongrass shoot, fish sauce in medium sauce pan and bring to simmer. Add shrimp, turn off heat, let sit 5 mins, add scallions.

Enjoy!

cool, i was just thinking about bumping this the other day...

does anyone else on the ounce work in a kitchen? right now i'm the pastry chef at some hotspot here in the city and I pick up some personal chef joints here and there if they come up.

i suppose i should add a recipe. how about a chilled soup since summer is coming up...

tomatoes. (since its not really tomato season yet, you can use canned ones, they'll taste better)

red onion

yellow pepper

basil

balsamic vinegar

extra virgin olive oil

salt, kosher

pepper, fresh cracked

chop the tomatoes up and puree them . if you want to get fancy, remove the skins first by blanching them for 10 seconds then peel them. throw that in the fridge until cold.

mince the red onion and the yellow pepper and chop the basil. toss together in a bowl.

stir the rest of the stuff into the tomato puree and taste it. if you think it needs more salt, pepper or whatever, add it.

just before you eat, add a heap of the red onion/pepper mix into the center of the bowl.

easy. tasty.

cool, i was just thinking about bumping this the other day...

does anyone else on the ounce work in a kitchen? right now i'm the pastry chef: chilled soup since summer is coming up...

What's it with pastry chef's and chilled soup?

Going on 4 years in the kitchen, 4 restaurants.

i made a mini chocolate mousse torte last night

i get real productive on painkillers these days.

anyway, i also made vanilla buttercream for it.

lesse if i can remember it all off the top.

torte:

8 oz chocolate, good quality high % cocoa bitches.

8 oz butter

3 eggs

melt the butter in a glass measuring cup in the microwave, about 1 minute

add the chocolate and mic for 2 minutes on lowest power, stirring a couple times

whip the eggs up to stiff peaks

gently and quickly fold in the melt mixture

(i like the pour the melted chocolate down the side of the bowl so it doesn't deflate the shit instantly, then as it settles to the bottom start folding like mad..should take two pours and about five minutes of folding for a good mix)

pour into prepared 5 or 6" springform pan (parchment or butta baby)

after wrapping bottom in foil to prevent leakage, set pan in a roasting pan with maybe an inch or so of hot water.

bake at 425 for 15 minutes, adding a buttered foil top after 5 minutes

chill till set in the fridge about 3 hours

vanilla buttercream

melt 1/4c plus 2 tblsp sugar in 1/4 cup corn syrup over high heat

add melted mixture to a glass measuring cup as soon as the mix boils

(try not to agitate the mix too much, only stir gently, sugar will cook hard on the sides of the pan so don't spread it around)

beat 2 egg yolks and 1 white until light in color.

add the melted mixture, and beat hard for a few minutes until cool

(don't spill melt mix onto the beater or it'll fly everywhwre and harden)

scrape down the sides.

add 1/2 lb of butter and beat the fuck out of it

add a few tablespoons of liquer or vanilla

ice that effing cake, chill for awhile, and grub on that balazoomba

:yum: :yum:

i made a mini chocolate mousse torte last night

i get real productive on painkillers these days.

:

Sounds good symbols lady, that icing is my favorite. Hope that cured you.

It's almost mushroom season in this neck of the somewhat woody US. It's time to start thinking of what to do with them once again. I love to get my mushrooms nice and crispy brown outsides in a really hot pan with some oil and butter (enough so they soak up what's there, but not so much as they drown), whilst keeping them dancing around so they cook evenly, and then hit them with some salt, deglace with some red wine, add a good demiglace, and if it's really special, monte au beurre, or mix in a little cold butter at the end. I could eat a plate alone, but it really needs some M-R grilled meat to go with.

Key mushroom point: alot of the flavor of mushrooms is fat soluble and subtle. Mushrooms are about balancing. This is why enoki in bacon (mentioned above) works so well, it's got a savory simple flavor profile and has lots of fat to carry that flavor. You could build off of that simple combination so many different, fantastic mushroom dishes.

yeah that torte does sound good, symbols. and so does those mushrooms, fructoes. i'm kind of thinking about going back to working the line. pastry is almost too laid back for me.

today i have to figure out the plating for this chocolate ganache thing i have going on. the fun part of the job is designing plates and finishing things, a nicely pated dessert is definately a work of art.

Mushrooms are a pretty spectacular food.

As a vegetarian, I find portabellas to be a good meat substitute when grilling, because of their texture and their aforementioned ability to absorb flavor. I do a pesto grilled portabella that is actually remarkably easy, but can look and taste like some serious 5 star restaurant ish.

I never measure ingredients, so I can't really give a recipe-- but if you cook a lot, you can probably figure out your own ratios here.

Pesto is incredibly easy to make, and keeps fairly well, so I always just add ingredients until I like the consistency, and save whatever leftovers I end up with. Combine a dash of olive oil, a little bit of vegetable oil, and a splash of balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Then pick a bunch of basil leaves, and note how awesome your hands smell. Throw the basil in a food processor with a cup or two of nuts-- for this recipe I prefer toasted pine nuts, but cashews also work quite well-- and chop that shit up, slowly adding your oil mixture. You don't want to overchop, or add too much oil, because you want a fairly thick consistency for this recipe. If it gets too thin, just add more basil and nuts until it looks right. I usually toss in a couple of spoonfuls of sugar at the end, because it never hurts to sweeten a pesto, especially in this case, as it will be contrasted with a very savory goat cheese. Set aside until your caps are ready.

Serving size is 1 large (or 2 smallish) portabella cap, so I usually get about as many mushrooms as I have people. Gently break off the stem as high up as you can-- I try to have a little divot in the cap where it used to go. Turn the caps up so they look like a little bowl, and using a small, sharp knife, make a bunch of shallow slits in the center. This is to allow your marinade to absorb into the mushroom more quickly, but you want to be sure to stay away from the edges and not cut too deeply, as you want the cap to be able to hold liquid. [Note- you never want to do this with meat...you will ruin it this way.] Marinate in balsamic vinegar with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Or, if you want to get really fancy, you can use a little bit of truffle oil. Truffle oil is generally expensive, but you can find relatively cheap bottles at Trader Joe's-- and a little goes a long way.

When you're ready to start grilling, put the caps on the bottom tier, facing down, for a couple of minutes. Once they start to get a little bit flame licked, turn them over gently (they will become a bit more fragile at this point) and sprinkle a small amount of your marinade into the bowl of each. Let them sit for a couple of minutes (grilling time can be anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of your fire) , and when you think they're almost ready, plop in a couple of tablespoons of pesto. Let it sit for another minute or so, then remove. Immediately before serving, top with a dollop of goat cheese (I like Chavrie) and fresh pepper. If you want it to look fancy, just garnish with a couple of basil leaves and put it in the center of a plate that's too big.

This all sounds a lot more complicated than it is. You want to let the caps marinate for a couple of hours, ideally, but the whole rest of the process should only take about half an hour.

^hell yeah

i loved putting together the dessert tray.

always had a stock of ganache and raspberry coulis on the ready.

the torte has been delicioso

it's been setting in the fridge. so the first slice is like fudge

and as it sits on the counter it gets softer and more like mousse

yeah harvey, nice add.

pesto can be made in many varieties as well, (although of course traditional pesto is basil)

red pepper pesto and black bean pesto make great dips.

buahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaa.....................................yeah prolly not there "buddy".... but im sure you got one wit "dees" in it.............................................

word to dee38 i don't really need someone to "show me" how to "cook up hotstyles"

i got techniques drippin out my buttcheeks

(sleep on my stomach so i don't fuck up my sheets)

hahahhaha,,,,,, wasnt sayin ya dont got none,,... ive seen ya shit and personally, i like it hun............... was more ova invitation to show me some..... but with drips like that,, id rather just beat my own drum.................... and yes,, word to both yall,,,, a cinical afternoon......... holla.......

yeah that torte does sound good, symbols. and so does those mushrooms, fructoes. i'm kind of thinking about going back to working the line. pastry is almost too laid back for me.

today i have to figure out the plating for this chocolate ganache thing i have going on. the fun part of the job is designing plates and finishing things, a nicely pated dessert is definately a work of art.

Desserts are definately the most artistic of all courses. Very geometric and tons of control. It's a cushy gig, do you have to even work on Sat. night? However, it is definitely a well rounded chef who knows their pastry. If you feel you have mastered what the restaurant has to offer, maybe you would be better serving your skill elsewhere, if they are giving you the reigns though that would be worth consideration.

i took my best friend to dinner lats night, an awesome tapas spot.

a bit trendy, but the food is so good, so what?

they have recipes on their site as well.

Grilled Calamari

(Appetizer: serves 4)

Ingredients: #1 cleaned calamari (tubes & legs)

juice of 2 lemons

1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 tbsp. chopped parsley

salt to taste

bamboo or metal skewers

note: bamboo skewers should be soaked in water at least one hour prior to grilling to prevent wood burning

Method: 1. Rinse calamari, slice calamari tube up the side to open. Marinate in lemon and olive oil (1/2 the amount called for) for 30 minutes.

2. Loosely skewer the calamari - this will make it a lot easier to turn and prevent any from falling through the grill.

3. Grill on the hottest part of your grill for approximately 2 minutes, turning midway. Do not overcook, or calamari will be tough.

4. Remove from skewer after cooking and slice into strips.

5. Toss with parsley, salt and the remaining lemon juice and olive oil.

^^ i know what i making for a snack at work tomorrow!

theres this tapas place right around the corner that serves up some gorgeous food. here's a picture or two just to give some visual to the thread:

2865bd1e.jpg

94b8206a.jpg

fucking sexy, eh?

It's a cushy gig' date=' do you have to even work on Sat. night? However, it is definitely a well rounded chef who knows their pastry. If you feel you have mastered what the restaurant has to offer, maybe you would be better serving your skill elsewhere, if they are giving you the reigns though that would be worth consideration.[/quote']

haha, all days tuesday til saturday, baby! I actually got thrown into the job, the 'pastry girl', as they called her, just stopped showing up one day and i was like, 'i'll do it'. It was as simple as that. right now i have input on our summer dessert menu, but its mostly presentation wise.

oh and a tip for everyone on that calamari if you don't have skewers: do a 'cross hatch' sort of cut into one side of the calamari. not all the way through, though. this will help stop it from curling up when the proteins begin to coagulate.

Archived