NFL player hires social media firm to help him get released from team and void contract

KILZ FILLZ

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/report-antonio-brown-got-advice-from-social-media-consultants-to-speed-up-release/amp/

Pittsburgh Steelers WR was traded to the Oakland Raiders. He didn't want to go there but it's out of the control of the players in this situation. The last few months around him have been a media circus. Incredible amount of off season drama finalizing in him requesting the team release him via Instagram post. The team releases him and the New England Pats signed him within hours (tampering anyone?). 

So-

it's come out that he hired a social media consulting firm to help him with this process of getting released. I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume the firm had control of his Instagram and Twitter accts during this time. 

---

How much of a joke is it he requested to be released via Instagram instead of his agent? 

When as a society will be say "I'm done with this social media bullshit"? 

Are there any tangible benefits to engaging in social media? Isn't it all negatives realated to mental health? 

Does this not sound like a situation where the Raiders lawyers may have grounds for a lawsuit? 

Can anyone imagine any situation other than professional sports where this would be considered acceptable? 

---

Side bar-

During this process he called the Raiders GM a cracker and liked Twitter posts calling for the GM to be analy raped. Imagine the difference in the news cycle if the tables were turned and the GM called him an N. 

Are double standards just accepted at this point? 

---

Sound off in the comments below-

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Sort of. Both times I was contacting "IG famous" weed growers that my friend (with his own weed podcast) had linked me up with. Very strange to say the least how out in the open these guys are now on IG. almost 100% of their business is generated on IG, and discussed in encrypted apps. Apparently Facebook is weed friendly to some extent.

One person was weird, tens of thousands of followers and some of his clones sold for up to 10k in the right markets. He had his crypto, and shipping game down etc. My friend and I meet up with him to sample and interview for the podcast. He takes us back to his crib, upscale in super nice neighborhood and proceeds to give us the full tour of his massive indoor garden.

After the tour we end up in his living room, my friend busts out an iPhone, turns on voice record, lays it on the table and proceeds to ask when and where he got into weed, and details any cop would love to know. I know how easy it is to vet someone like myself, and my fiend to make sure we're not LE or snitches but it still made me uncomfortable to see how reckless this was. I wouldn't even tell my wife if I was growing and here this guy is inviting strangers he met on the internet.

That was sort of off topic but I've had similar experiences contacting Photographers/Artists etc. for client work. Sometimes they want to vet you, see who you're down with, etc. and look through your feed before doing business with you and will respond to a DM while ignoring random emails. IMO it's a poor way to do business, having all of your eggs in the zuckerburg basket eventually sets you up to fail. I think right now there are a lot of users trying to find alternatives to IG, hopefully a viable "crypto" one appears soon but these things take a while to scale properly.

• Truth 1

14 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

How much of a joke is it he requested to be released via Instagram instead of his agent? 

When as a society will be say "I'm done with this social media bullshit"? 

Are there any tangible benefits to engaging in social media? Isn't it all negatives realated to mental health? 

Does this not sound like a situation where the Raiders lawyers may have grounds for a lawsuit? 

Can anyone imagine any situation other than professional sports where this would be considered acceptable? 

Side bar-

During this process he called the Raiders GM a cracker and liked Twitter posts calling for the GM to be analy raped. Imagine the difference in the news cycle if the tables were turned and the GM called him an N. 

Are double standards just accepted at this point? 

Did he attempt to be released through his agent first?  If he used IG as a tool to get what he wanted, perhaps well played.  Atheletes make more for what they do then seems appropriate so minus zero fucks given.

Society will be done with social media when individuals make that choice for themselves.  I'll admit to using IG strictly as a search engine to find pics I want.  Aside from that, I've never held an account with any of the social media platforms, ever.  Do I miss some things? Yeah.  But overall, nothing of such value as to have impacted my life in any significant way.  The idea that one "has to" have a social media account for any reason is false and flawed and I've seen all manner of justification for it.  Related, this shit started with stuff like AOL and Myspace when we were younger graf n dancers.  I learned right away watching others get busted off those for different things that if you're a criminal of any sort, social media no es bueno.  Later in life when I wanted a "real" job it was quite satisfying to know that no matter how far into the depths of the interwebz anyone probed there would be nothing of me to find.

There are many tangible benefits for social media but the overwhelming majority of people do not fit into those user groups.  People in other countries used it to organize an uprising and help people avoid/escape death and torture, hard to argue with that.  People with disabilities who maybe can't go out or are limited in how they can connect with the world IRL or otherwise would be another good example.  Support groups, although arguably social media is not needed for that.  There are numerous negative benefits related to mental health involving how you as an individual feel/think/behave as well as how groups do.  Much of that occurs outside the scope of your awareness/understanding, unfortunate as the people who collect your data know how, or learn how, to connect those dots to your disadvantage.

I don't think it's a matter of is this behavior acceptable outside of sports, it's kind of the way these days.  When people have a gripe and are unsatisfied they take to social media in search of support and cheerleaders.  Sometimes people take notice and take up their cause, sometimes the news or other MSM do too.  Lot of it seems to be around shaming people or businesses, sometimes well deserved, sometimes not.

Race.  Elephant in America's room.  Discussion should be open and ongoing at this point yet it's limited or nonexistent.  People would rather start accepting/respecting other people's sexuality before talking about race.  Thank goodness for people like Dave Chappelle for challenging so many different biases and stereotypes.  At the same time, sad that the discussion has to be generated through comedy.

• Truth 1