Fuck you Salinger

xen

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The short stories included in this book are the following:

The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls

Birthday Boy

Paula

Additionally, there is a letter from J. D. Salinger himself to a John Woodman.

It took me many weeks of research to find that this book existed and many more weeks to acquire it. I will confirm and take with that take responsibility to the claim that these are accurate to the originals.

Not much is verifiable to the origins of this book I have here. At least I will not confirm anything. What I do know is that someone with access to the originals compiled them together in this self-published collection. There is a single UPC symbol on the back that leads no where. Other than that, it's existence is not well documented.

Enjoy.

The book Three Stories seems to be a copy of a collection originally released in 1999. An eBay who sold a first edition of this collection said the following:

Ebay Seller seymourstainglass wrote:

Paperback. 47 pages.

On Copyright page it says printed in London in 1999. Copy number 6 of 25.

3 short stories written by JD Salinger never published at all and that remain in The Ransom Center of the University of Texas at Austin

Untitled or "Paula" (1941)

The untitled manuscript at the Ransom Center is less a story than a series of scenes not yet sewn together. Whether or not this is some form of Salinger's lost story "Paula" is pure speculation. However, in a letter dated October 31 (1941), Salinger states that he is "finishing a horror story (my first and last) called 'Mrs. Hincher.' " Undoubtedly a reference to the story described here, Salinger's letter dates its completion to late 1941 or early 1942.

"The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls" is largely regarded as the finest of Salinger's unpublished works. While not having had the opportunity to revue all of the author's unpublished materials, it is hard to imagine a more important work among them

"Birthday Boy" (1946?)

The short story "Birthday Boy" is accompanied by a letter from Salinger to John Woodburn which refers to "both sets of proofs". Although undated, the letter probably dates to 1951, the year that Woodburn published The Catcher in the Rye. However, it's also likely that the letter does not reference Catcher, but a short story sent to placate the editor instead. Salinger's relationship with Woodburn was brief and somewhat bizarre.

Images of the First edition

http://i.imgur.com/98bfQ8K.jpg

Printing/Copyright details

http://i.imgur.com/T7nymsT.jpg

I have no problem with Salinger. It's more that I find it funny that his desire to keep it out of the public hands that was the only reason it was leaked. If he'd have just published them, no one would give a rat's ass and they would have been lost to history as they should be.

Or if his estate would have, they would have got paid like they want. Now people are just umad.

• 1 year later...