I bought a RV!!

CILONE/SK

Yeah, very nice, mate.

Why do you want to start working on the interior right away? I'd use what you've already got on a few trips firstly to get some value out of the kit that's already in there and second to learn what mods you need most through process of experience.

As for where to travel to, I'd suggest somewhere that you can get some exercise in, given the paunch you seem to be sporting :p :p :p

The paunch does not belong to me, he is the friend I brought with. He retired from the Army a few years ago and does not workout anymore. He drives armored trucks for a living and I joke that he cant put on his vest if he gets fatter.

You are right about the few trips thing, but there are a few things I already have decided to do, like build a shelf thing at the end of my bed. Also the storage under that bed is only accessible from outside right know. I plan on putting a long piano hinge on it so i can lift the bed and access it from inside.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a caravan.

A fine caravan at that.

Also the printed out SOLD sign is nearly my favourite part.

"Travel Trailer" in the states mate

There was a couple looking at it when they placed the "Sold" sign on it.

I was nice and joked with them, but inside, I was "get the fuck out of my shit fuckers".

Vashon Island, WA. It's a really badass place, 15 minute ferry from Seattle. I used to go every summer with my parents. I loved being there as a kid I'm sure yours will too, there's lots of interesting shit on the shore (i.e. geoducks that spray you with water and giant starfish). There are a lot of really nice camping areas as well. Check out the lighthouse and the beach at the Isthmus.

Will do! I have to visit peeps in Seattle and that might be a place I will go.

Nice unit!

I take my trailer out as much as I can, there are tons of spots in Rec sites and in non-gov. sites that are great to spend a weekend.

I took an enclosed cargo trailer (tandem axle) and converted it into a toy hauler/sleeper combo. It's got solar power, deep cycle batts and it's an easy pull. (10 feet long)

I try to get out as much as possible man! it's great to get out.

You should post pics of yours. I am interested and probably more oontzers are too.

living the dream.

btw it's "I bought an RV" not "a RV" ;p

i loved every single National Park i ever went to.

in the NW, that would include but not be limited to

Olympic National Park WA (amazing. mountains to forest to meadows to jungle to ocean.)

Cascades National Park WA

Glacier National Park MT

and i still need to visit Crater Lake OR.

Did you tent in those places? None of that is far from me and I am sure I will end up there sooner or later.

congrats dude super cool

i have a couple guys i work with who have Weekend Warrior RV/haulers

RV across american is sorta my plan for retirement.

what kind of truck you hauling that with?

2007 Dodge Nitro. I recently found out that all models and all years are made to tow 3500-3600 and with a weight distribution hitch, it goes to 5000.

This is one of the reasons I bought the "Lite" version.

What part of the NW are you looking at traveling in? It is getting into the top of the season here and lots of spots are going to get crowded but can still be worth while.

If you are looking at WA I would do something East of the Cascades and then a Peninsula run perhaps.

I am looking at going anywhere over a 3 day weekend period, which includes WA, OR, ID, MT, UT. I can be at any of them by Saturday morning if I leave after work on Friday.

Max tow weight and tongue weight are the problems I keep running in to on my shit. I should have ponied up the cash for a real truck.

I thought the same thing, but I am going to go on a few trips and see how it does. My Nitro is paid off and I would rather not have another payment, since I retire in a year and a half and have to get another job.

I thought the same thing, but I am going to go on a few trips and see how it does. My Nitro is paid off and I would rather not have another payment, since I retire in a year and a half and have to get another job.

Yeah, walking away from that steady Uncle Sam paycheck is kinda scary and contracting isn't what it used to be.

Picked this up today

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

I got Camping World to give me 10% off and I also got $100 for building something for someone awhile back for free, but the guy is cool and paid me when he had the money, which turned out to be today. So this cost me $90 after taxes. Actually this is more for my wife, since I cant cook worth a damn. I just wanted to get a decent grill, so she does not hate it and makes food easily.

Successful old man is successful.

How's the insurance on this - Any special RV surcharges "slide of hand" tricks?

It added $20 to my monthly insurance. That is with $50 deductible for comprehensive and $0 Liability, but that might be switched around, do not remember. the deductables went from $0 to $1000, but only changed $10 or less in monthly payments, so I went with the $0.

All I know is that it is cheap. I have USAA. I called them with the VIN and was off the phone in less then 30 minutes.

auto or manual?

Auto, but the tranny has a cooling thing on it (that sounds funny) that most non-towing vehicles don't. 2007 is the first year they made it and they made it a class leader for the towing capacity.

I pick it up tomorrow, so i will see how it goes. I am worried about the weight.

If it sucks, i will trade the Nitro in for a small cheaper truck. It is my work truck and I am not attached to it.

I also have a 1971 Jeep J2000 pickup truck:

IMG_0389.jpg

But I worry about its age. I am sure it can handle it, but I just do not know how long.

I have 33" tires on it and it runs decent, but it needs some body work on the inside floor beds. That is weird because the bed in the back is in excellent shape. I think the person before me had mats on the inside floors and let them stay wet alot. I had to install a new fuel pump a few months ago, but that only cost me $17.

Were i am planning on camping the next 2-3 months, there is no real big hills, but enough to test my nitro and let me know if it can handle it. I am going someplace on Sunday to get use to it, but that is flat too.

It added $20 to my monthly insurance. That is with $50 deductible for comprehensive and $0 Liability, but that might be switched around, do not remember. the deductables went from $0 to $1000, but only changed $10 or less in monthly payments, so I went with the $0.

All I know is that it is cheap. I have USAA. I called them with the VIN and was off the phone in less then 30 minutes.

USAA is the bee knees

Not in the states. I went and registered it yesterday and paid $51.49. I screw on the plate and stick the sticker to it and i am good to go. Also, the state I live in (which shall remain nameless) is pretty cheap regarding stuff like this. i also registered my nitro and bought a $10 state park pass at the same time and it only came out to around $150. This state sucks at education and other publicly funded things, but it is cheap to do stuff.

wenatchee national forest and the hoh rainforest are two of my favorite NW spots.

ih8 is correct, vashon is rad, but i don't think of it as an RV type of place.

I sold mine a while back and am setting my truck up more as a car camping/base camping bad ass machine. So much fun as long as your truck has a good tranny and towing capacity....