----->> The Critique Thread *****

redeyedanimal

Sev - I agree with the little extensions, they just seem to be there rather than adding something to the piece, like the one on the V just seems to originate from nowhere, doesn't work with the letter.

Also, being really picky, because of the way you slope your piece the V looks like a C I had to check myself when I first read it, also when colouring, because you give each letter a different colour the letters are all individual try getting them to interact with each other more creating more of an overall piece rather then 3 individual letters together if that makes any sense.

Umno - I like the middle one (well it looks like it can be developed) but I am with EBA, it isnt a style I particualrly like, even when executed really really well, so dont pay much attention to it, so takemy comments with a pinch of salt

here are a couple of mine if anyone wants to throw some ideas/crits my way

5571830707_56f27ed53d_z.jpg

5569155706_4ea7948bc4_z.jpg

5547920513_201b9e34d2_z.jpg

my attempt at a grimey style

5402801738_cecc856d22_z.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sev: i kno it says sev but when i look at it i keep seeing seg.. dope color scheme. theres a spot that catches my eye, the middle bak of the E directly in the middle of the piece, by that bar that sticks outa the mid of ur S, thers some orange 3d that went on alil too much r sumthn not sure exactly why this pops out to me a lil off... idk , its prolly jst in my mind

decy: that top grimey piece is on point, looks like it says zens

thanks Decy, i will try and work on simples, though i realized i have no idea how. I never practiced them, i got a lot of sketching to do.

umnoid, there are no letters in there, i'm sure of it. It's just a pointy mass of something, that isn't graffiti. and the second one is just really weak in my opinion. Your letters gotta have flow, they have to look good, you need to work on them heavily before you go on to more complicated sketches. Maybe you've been way too focused on an idea you've had in your head of what a mural could look like, but you aren't at mural point yet. You'll get effects like those eventually and if you try really hard, but for now start slow, work with your letters and master your craft.

im telln ya, that 1st one i posted is a quik idea i pulled that def says umno, tha u is super stretched behind tha shark, smal m & n & big unfinishd lookin o ,but thats beyond the point of it not bein good. i dont focus on letters as one, i focus on the entire peice as a whole, if that makes sence. ive never cared to get my name legible at all, mor just sumthin ok to look at...

misterblunt: what is it about tha shark thats wak??

SEV: looks good man, i couldnt really tell you what to do but your letters are great an all i just feel the piece is lacking flow... each letter could stand alone but they dont mingle well...

UMNO: ummm no. im not really a fan of the style and couldnt really tell you what to do with it. sorry.

ALTS: fire as usual! the only crit that i could give you is to get some money, buy some paint, and paint some of your sketches!!!

heres some simples for yall... nothin crazy here i just dont wanna look like a fool when i post up the more complicated shits that ive been working on... im gonna have a lot more time to sketch considering i tore my mcl :(

5572159661_0583c9c725.jpg

IMG_0108

5572159699_886902112f.jpg

IMG_0161

yeah..... any writer whos style you appreciate has a firm grasp on simples..... you dont go from crawling to running. Stop tryna pull it off as u "dont care about the letters, but the peice as a whole with flow and blah blah blah" You need to bang out some stylish SIMPLES before tryna anything to advanced

Photo78.jpg

tryna loosen up a bit

i really think my problem is that i never mastered 1 style, i go by multiple names & w/ doing that, i try n switch up tha style competely all the time, i'll go throw a umno next to a victom using complete diff letter style n color 2 make it look like 2 diff artists. im taking in all the advice with this thread n am trying to figure out what the average writer is atracted to, which is something i have never cared to do until now.. but thaks to every1 who let me kno wuts good..

101_0029.jpgDSC02655.jpgvictom2tonefreighter.jpg

So here is the second version, I tried to incorporate everyone's advice.

I tried to give the extensions more of a purpose and tried to go a bit wilder with them, took out the E being a random color, tried to add more flow to the letters and make the V more legible.

Thanks for all the crits, if you guys wanna break this piece down I'm always up for a 3rd revision.

IMG_20110404_143243.jpg

the S is so fucking fresh... try doing a piece horizontally... i dont like the negative spaces in the E and V

good work tho

i know sticking to simples is the most important thing blah blah... but ive been trying to go a bit wilder... heres really my first time fucking with arrows... probably needs moar though... what you think?

i hate the O btw gonna have to rework it

5590046961_86bca2ec70.jpg

IMG_0167

LESS ARROWS!

some, like the right u bar, are ok, but some... like the n's bottom-of-the-left bar, seem unnecessary, while in some areas, like the j, it just seems like too many arrows... try working with other types of extensions too, arrows can get really boring and repetitive...

wheres the r? those can be really fun to get funky with...

• 2 weeks later...

Malt...you overloaded on the J homie...then just stuck some arrows here and there....you should have reason behind what your doing and not just doing it...i know that you are just now fuckin with this style but look around at what others are doing(dont bite)...and try to understand why did he put that there...arrows can be used as connectors flow changers and just add ons...so do the math and get the understanding homie...your letter structure is minimal but i think that will come in time and that you can hide it sometimes with a buncha good addons and connectors...

oh yea work on that O they are one of the coolest letters we get to use...

peace...

So here is the second version, I tried to incorporate everyone's advice.

I tried to give the extensions more of a purpose and tried to go a bit wilder with them, took out the E being a random color, tried to add more flow to the letters and make the V more legible.

Thanks for all the crits, if you guys wanna break this piece down I'm always up for a 3rd revision.

IMG_20110404_143243.jpg

Dope!!! thicker outline maybe?