Networking

the.crooked

So, I have been doing more research into graduate programs and giving thought to life after college at all.

This combined with watching both my parents work through self employment the last decade or so has led me to appreciating the concept of knowing people.

I know every once in a while people come to the 0 for business matters, but I don't think there has been a thread dedicated to the matter.

I was wondering if anyone here has contacts in graduate programs across the country, contacts with Google, or anything relating to higher education or information technologies.

other than that, I don't see why we shouldn't have a thread were people can come and seek out anyone that may have an in.

Yes I recognize some people may not want to put that much about themselves on here, so save that critique. I am also gonna make this thread in Crossfire.

Is that cool mods? I feel like the audiences are quite different so it might be effective to have it in both places.

So with no further adieu, GOOOGLE... anyone?

Or anybody got contacts in graduate programs on the west coast, Chicago, focusing on economics or philosophy?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you have to pretty much apply to the graduate programs...

reccomendations from us arent really going to help....it would be better to speak to an advisor at your college, and start gettig letters of reccomendation from faculty/researchers that youve already worked with closely.

good luck though.

MAR-

I wasn't necessarily thinking of this as a situation where vouching would be required.

I more so just want to know who I need to speak to for certain things.

If anything I was thinking of this as a spot for people to start conversations with each other.

Not so much lookin for the good ol boy network.

Obviously I think it is at anyone's discretion to decide whether or not they think someone is, for lack of a better word, worthy of the information they may so be requesting, but at the very least I do not see why we can't have a thread where people can at least find someone who might have good information for them.

At any rate, what contacts "might" you have? Not asking for their names, just wonder at what type of institution.

you have to pretty much apply to the graduate programs...

reccomendations from us arent really going to help....it would be better to speak to an advisor at your college, and start gettig letters of reccomendation from faculty/researchers that youve already worked with closely.

good luck though.

I think people are completely missing what I am thinking about.

I don't need recommendations from people here. I am looking for people to speak to. Not to have spoken to for me.

I know I have to apply to these programs, I am not trying to circumvent that. I am just trying to develop some semblance of a relationship with institutions that may hold the fate of my future viability in the academic and business world. I am also just trying to figure out where it is that I even want to apply.

I will obviously be working closely with my advising committee this year to get letters of rec and pique them for their contacts, but it never hurts to try to find people on your own.

Perhaps that is a better perspective on what I meant for this thread to be.

Not for handouts, not for asking for jobs, just a spot in channel zero that might be a little bit more formal for particular matters.

MAR-

I wasn't necessarily thinking of this as a situation where vouching would be required.

I more so just want to know who I need to speak to for certain things.

If anything I was thinking of this as a spot for people to start conversations with each other.

Not so much lookin for the good ol boy network.

Obviously I think it is at anyone's discretion to decide whether or not they think someone is, for lack of a better word, worthy of the information they may so be requesting, but at the very least I do not see why we can't have a thread where people can at least find someone who might have good information for them.

At any rate, what contacts "might" you have? Not asking for their names, just wonder at what type of institution.

government and private jobs. government is in energy and private would be stock and wealth management.

word,

i don't think i have anything to offer either of those fields.

maybe, but not any time in the near future.

for what its worth for anyone,

i know some folks in environmental non-profit work

also social science departments in houston.

what are you looking for? that might help.

not so helpful.

beside google what would be an ideal job?

Ahh, well, as you know I study philosophy now, I am most interested in the integration of technology into society and sensory human experience.

If I didn't work with those concepts I would just like to do consulting in general.

I like the notion of learning systems, analyzing specific problems and providing an answer based on my creative skills.

I was looking specifically for google because I have been trying to find out more information on their internship programs.

I spent some time lookin on their site yesterday, but I want to know more than they provide.

Beyond that, I am mostly interested in any contacts to graduate programs.

But if anyone knows tech firms, or any of that sorta shit, I would love to talk to some people about internships.

I'm pretty arrogant.

I have talked my way in and out of many situations and have experienced more than enough in my life to not give a fuck about whether I am sure or not I am good enough to do something.

The only way to every achieve something if not what is the ideal of your pursuits is the attempt at attaining them at all.

Even if I don't get hired by Google, even if I don't get into the best graduate school, this want and attempt to get there will get me further than I would get otherwise. What should I aspire to?

Shit in life is a game of probabilities. Shooting for the slimmest of probabilities is more than worth it sometimes.

think of it this way:

do you ever try to move shit with your mind?

I do.

every day.

once a day.

why not?

what if it happens?

it doesn't cost me anything and it can't hurt me.

if it ever happens, well then fuck me, i don't know what I would do.

its the same thing with tryin to get hired by google or having some sense of ideals in the plans of my life. I may not get there, but tryin will produce something better than nothing at all.