Are Crews Dead?

it's evolution.

i can see what you're saying, and why you're worried about all of this. BUT, it's unfortunate that popularity through media and progression, has changed what you're rooted in. it's a double edged sword, even you can admit to success in what is bugging you. but would you say the greater percentage of crews today, are just fucked up in structure? if you're willing to bring up this arguement, i'm assuming you have a greater knowledge than your own local unions.

recruiting could work to keep things from going extinct, or it could just blow up the ego of another kid who didn't get hugged enough as a child. if crews were run by samurai code, you'd probably be a happier person.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
it's evolution.

i can see what you're saying, and why you're worried about all of this. BUT, it's unfortunate that popularity through media and progression, has changed what you're rooted in. it's a double edged sword, even you can admit to success in what is bugging you. but would you say the greater percentage of crews today, are just fucked up in structure? if you're willing to bring up this arguement, i'm assuming you have a greater knowledge than your own local unions.

recruiting could work to keep things from going extinct, or it could just blow up the ego of another kid who didn't get hugged enough as a child. if crews were run by samurai code, you'd probably be a happier person.

:biglaugh: I probably would. But I guess thats why i brought the topic up, it was those crews that i thought were impenetrable that i see doing this. Legendary Crews. I dont want to name names, but ive been disappointed lately.

i dont push crews unless every single person in the crew is a good friend of mine. large ass crews arent crews. they are networks. the only good thing about being in a big crew is when you travel you almost always have a spot to stay at.

and i disagree with the lot of you. this thread holds some merit.

that's exactly how i feel about it. i'm all for crews getting bigger and all that, but if i don't know everyone in the crew, how can i rep that? how do i know that somewhere, in some other city, some dude that got put down is doing some stupid shit, and thus making the crew as a whole look bad? what if a train i paint rolls through that city, someone that has beef sees the crew next to whatever i've painted, and my shit gets dogged because this kid is being a douche nozzle?

one of the things that i think is awesome is when larger crews (not like these internet mega-crews) that are spread out across different states or cities or whatever get together once/a couple times a year for bbq's/hangouts/whatever. that, to me, is what a crew should be about. a group of folks that are all down with each other, and all have each other's back. i've dropped crews simply because i didn't get along with someone in the crew. and i'm not gonna get on some "i was here first" shit, because if i'm not the head of the crew, it's not really my place to say who is and isn't down.

but that comes back to everyone in the crew being tight knit. if someone's gonna get put down, it should be someone that everyone thinks should be put down. in political terms, it should be a democracy, and not a dictatorship.

and to sort of address the "recruitment" issue, as far as putting down the proverbial "new black", the kids that are hot right now, i think that's ridiculous. i mean, if you know the kid, and he/she is a down ass person, and not just some random that's out wrecking shit, it's a different story. but if i run into Writer X who has been out killing shit for the past month, i'm gonna say "yeah you've gotten up a lot, looks good" or some shit like that, rather than be like "yo you're up all over, push my crew". because i don't know this cat from tom, dick, or harry. he could start beef, he could be a snitch. shit, i've seen dudes brought down by people they were close with for years that ratted them out, so it's hard enough to trust someone as is, let alone some dude you hardly know.

honestly, if you're in a crew with a bunch of people that the only name you know for them is what they write, that's wack.

so for what it's worth, i fully back this thread.

1144543356966.jpg

i totally agree with all of this, even the use of douche nozzle.

it'd be nice to see some crews that are actually crews, especially outside of tagging. if you don't trust someone enough to chill with them, why would you trust them with the fact that you're a writer?

i always find it hilarious to read stuff like this:

First of all I have been writing probably longer that most of you. I can almost guarantee it.

followed by:

But you never know who is who with screen names.

?. Whats your point. I made that comment when some idiots made a quick judgment call to diss the thread instead of voicing there opinion or just leaving it alone.

With screen names i am not ignorant enough to think i have been around longer than anyone. But when someone makes a comment like the ones i was commenting about it shows there immaturity and i can almost gurantee they were some newjacks that didnt understand the question.

I think the thread has voiced its opinion, and i feel better im not the only one that thought this way.

Sorry if made you laugh.

I dont know if its been said.. but

crew are alive and well...

its just that the new school kids havent been taught theyre history..

all these kids bite old school names.. old school crew names... all this type of shit..

ive seen some toys writing, NEW ABC CREW, BTC, CTB, all old school chicago crew... a kid tht writes sypher... its out of hand.. learn your history before you ever pick up a can.

First of all I have been writing probably longer that most of you. I can almost guarantee it.

followed by:

I'm Seen and I approve this message.

to some extent, isn't this a natural outgrowth of the general trend of writers being older and traveling more and it being easier to get in touch with people through the internet etc? social climbing was always part of graffiti for some. now its a lot easier to do and it's gone nation/world wide.

it's also hard to keep the same crew for a long time when every one else you started with doesn't write anymore and you've moved to a different city 2-3 times since you started.

followed by:

why is that hilarious? majority of writers dont last upwards of 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Unfortunate... but yes. I think loyalty has been completely cast aside... you have a ton of motherfuckers running around talking shit about kids in there own crew that are getting over more and more frequently or getting noticed more and more. I was raised up by an old head completely, who is very much still active so I have a touch of all the qualitys of the past and now... when I was comming up there were royalties to be paid in exchange all the knowledge your brain could hold. These dudes think if you got a tag a fill and a variation of a "piece" your some sort of serious graffiti rockstar. I mean writers that I've kicked it with that have been writing longer than I have, have no respect for anything and the more they become noticed the less they care about guideline to the game... I think graffiti is quickly decreasing and the nights ifind my self wanting to paint with a homie... I decide to hit the streets by my self. Its pretty sad...

not that any of you care or even believe in what im bout to say but.

ive been writing since 93

i rep a crew thats been around since 91 and a oldschool crew from the late 80s

the crews im down with have been around since the early 90s and late 80s and still rep hard and are nation wide

over the past year i seem to have lost the "drive" to paint

shit happens