Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Bojangles...

This is personal preference so I'm not sure why I'm pointing it out to you but I'm going to cross the line anway -

dtoneexp.jpg

This piece is awesome. I really like it a lot. Probably my favorite thing you've posted thus far. I do have one piece of criticism... everything about the painting seems really strong and solid, except the super thin green lines. But like I said... that's just my personal preference and opinion.

Solid painting once again... keep 'em coming.

... what's the history behind your 'abstract' styles? ... how'd it come about/progress?

When I got into writing in the early to mid eighties I was heavy into Industrial and Noise music and a lot of electronic stuff. For a teenager who does Graffiti... that was pretty odd back in 1984-85. I definitely began with the basics and learned from someone who did very traditional Graffiti and I kept with that for years until I felt comfortable ebough to branch out on my own. I guess when I felt I knew how to manipulate letters enough to the point of not destroying their sturcture. The ideas were always in me due to the music I listened to and the imagery I surrounded myself with, but I really wanted to come up right and learn the recipes for great letter structure. When I started to branch out on my own and do some wacky shit was about the time I moved to San Francisco, and shortly thereafter I had met Raevyn TWS crew. If you know anything about him you know he was on some super-duper next level shit for that time (1990-93).

"Cocaine" by Raevyn

coke.jpg

Raevyn had kinda taken me and this other guy Rayge under his wing and in so many ways... forced us to think outside the box and follow our hearts. Screw tradition and go with our gut. It helped that he gave us projects to guide us and he also gave us confidence to move us in the direction that we wanted to go. I basically went from wildstyle pieces...

old07.jpg

to abstract pieces...

old11.jpg

in a few years time. It wasn't an overnight thing. I worked hard and did a crap-load of drawings and small canvas like projects trying to work things out and teach myself new things that I hadn't yet seen in Graffiti anywhere. And after a few more years of making some moves and meeting some incredibly talented folks who were incredibly inspirational... I still try to up my game, even though I don't paint on walls anymore. It's been a long road since the mid-eighties but I'm glad I took the route that I did.

Hope that long winded answer was what you were looking for...

Nice explanation Joker, Raevyn was definatly a huge influence in my work also. Not to mention Rayge and yourself. its funny looking back at that last piece that was the shit to me. I remember being stuck on wild styles for a minute then when i started to sense the break i just went crazy and destroyed the box. Whats crazy is you were from my area, and i remember seeing your pieces like the first one and rayge's stood out. Besides Picasso definite influences. 11th and taylor wall was my foundation. Seeing that cocaine piece was like WTF. I thought i was getting my wild style down then i seen that.

Its crazy how Raevyn connected us, then disappeared to become a musician. I still try my hardest to get him out i succeeded in the early nineties but nothing since. What happened to Rayge he was on top of his shit when he just disappeared when that wall disappeared.

Once me and Joker got together it was over for me there were no laws to graffiti and still arent. I think my best work is still ahead of me.

There was also a book that Kema and I worked on for about six months, about three years ago. All blackbook work. We were sending the book back and forth through the mail and just knocking out page after page. No repeated outlines from previous books or anything like that. And I'm not going to lie to you... the thing was amazing. I've never been so proud to be a part of something as much as I was to be a part of that book project. The plan was to print the book and sell a limited number of copies. We were down to the last five pages, I sent the book to Kema... and it never showed up on his door step. To this day he and I both are pretty upset about it.

A Transcend book? Don't see it happening unless someone outside Transcend does all the foot work. Sadly enough.

I'd LOVE to see a Transcend book. 12ozxTranscend perhaps? (Are poeple still doing that "x" thing?)

Hopefully in a few years, sooner than later too...

Those interested in a Joker book will be happy / unhappy to know that one does exist... only digitally. About a year ago a friend of mine and I put together a book of my work (about 124 pages) to shop around to publishers. There were a few interests but all fell through. Most publishers who had no interest kind of hit the nail on the head... lots of street art books already out and none of them are moving. What bugged was the one person who put the idea into my head to do a book to begin with didn't want anything to do with it once I had a working model. (No, not Raven) The good news, for me at least, is that I'm glad it never got published because about a month after all the shopping around for publishers I looked at the digitial file again and hated it. So if it had been published I would have hated myself for letting it get printed the way it is.

^Yeah, is there a link or something to the digital madness? I'd like to have a look at that. Sounds good.

There was also a book that Kema and I worked on for about six months, about three years ago. All blackbook work. We were sending the book back and forth through the mail and just knocking out page after page. No repeated outlines from previous books or anything like that. And I'm not going to lie to you... the thing was amazing. I've never been so proud to be a part of something as much as I was to be a part of that book project. The plan was to print the book and sell a limited number of copies. We were down to the last five pages, I sent the book to Kema... and it never showed up on his door step. To this day he and I both are pretty upset about it.

as possibly the only person besides joker and beards to have seen this book during its creation (i was living with beards at the time) i can personally attest to its complete and total awesomeness. it was honestly some of the best stuff i'd ever seen either of them do. every page was amazing. also, joker failed to mention that the entire book was done with the (i believe) the same 4 colors. all yellows. i still think about some of the stuff i saw in there. it definitely was some next level shit. the kind of book that would have heavily influenced a lot of people in a very good way.

alas...

old11.jpg

this was the piece (published in WYWS #1 with you and rust on the cover, yes?) that started my attempts at 'abstract' stuff - although at the time there was obviously no distinct title to for it.

i'm sorry. ha.

actually, now that i think about it....was there another piece, slightly more 'traditional', i believe outlined in white, that just sort of 'dissintigrated' when it got to the R? like, fully rendered on the JOK side, then just kind of fading out and intentionally uncompleted?

to Joker, Seeks, Beards, Poesia, and many of the other fine artists on this site:

Throughout the years I have been on this board, trolling or actually contributing, yall's work has given me something to learn. Not in learn how to do, but to examine and to learn it like one learns anything else. To see the connectives in between the pieces.

There have been times where I have outstepped my bounds in my artistic endeavours. I remember I once made a thread in paperchase that was god awful and got called on it by mindvapors, seeks, and gliks. They were all right, and I needed the reality check. I mostly have stopped my attempts at graffiti, or rather any form relating there to. I leave my interest in letter form at the level in which it started, at the line. Calligraphy led me here and it will lead me on.

It took a while before I realized I can not even eventually do the things you guys do. But that you do it at all is enough for me.

I am not really sure why I am writing this. Perhaps it is the recent discussion on inspiration and transitions in thought, but anywho...

alright, enough dick ridin for now. im gonna go... stare at a window and think about how deceivingly cold it is outside.

Thanks Crooked.

Shit i just accidentally erased my post.

Well besides what Joker said during these first expiremental stages the abstract style i was reading and studying alot of Artists. These particular pieces i always admired and tried but never really succeeded in implementing into my style. I have sketches that i did but i think i only painted one. But still the heavily influenced my thought process.

Duchamp these specific works

The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Even

Article on Piece

bride.jpg

Tu M

tum_b.jpg

And work of the same time by Francis Picabia

Girl Born without a Mother

GMA%203545.jpg

1916-18, La machine tourne vite

picabia.jpg

The relationship between the mechanistic imagery that inspired you and the freedom of line you use is interesting.

I find people most concerned with the plasticity of elemental design in their own work to be the ones to admire strict rigidity of form in other's works.

I think it has to do with the notion of decision and choice in one's work. In a machine, each part is structured to do something. As efficiently as the creator could imagine. Each piece has its purpose and completes a job.

Is this so different from the abstract work you guys make? When one interprets something and creates something else with that interpretation/reduction in mind, every thing made is of some choice. Some distinction that was found in the initial thought that was translated into a mark on the page/canvas/wall/whatever.

I think that is what draws me to abstract work more than coherent formalism. While any given artistic endeavour can provide the question of why the artist did this or that with their piece: Abstraction provides one of the most interesting puzzles. Because you know there was one way in which the artist laid down the constituent parts of that specific piece. There is one way that you can interpret it that will be their way. And that whatever way you may take it is only an infinitude of possible consistent interpretations of the actions and intentions of that artist.

The distinction between the immediate prescience of mechanistic schematics and the implicit presentation of intention in abstract art are two sides of the same coin to me.

Cursory comments on the article:

I think Duchamp is playing a trick on everyone.

He seems to recognize the mirror relationship between the scientific process and that of reality, and I think this is where the rub lies.

"In addition, perspective was very important. The “Large Glass” constitutes a rehabilitation of perspective, which had then been completely ignored and disparaged. For me, perspective became absolutely scientific."

When Duchamp says this, it makes a certain connection between logic, science and perspective that I think is also caught by the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein. Wittgenstein refers to philosophy as a theraputic process. I think this is the same connotation as Duchamp's use of "rehabilitated" in the above quote.

For when an artist/scientist, sees the necessary failure of their ability to capture all that is nature's reality, they must come to grips with what this means for their life's ambition. Duchamp's rehabilitation was the return to form with the caveat of inevitable failure. It is also much of a comment on finding one's own perspective in the artistic process. Just as I was speaking about finding the intention in any one given stroke, so to is he commenting on the very same impulse.

That the author quotes someone else in their attempts to find the actual perspectival match up between Duchamp's plans and a real life casting of it is rather pertinent. These people are presupposing the reality of Duchamp's theoretical claims (blueprints, plans, otherwise), and then trying to turn that reality into an actuality (actual models based there on). Now, I think this is where the trick is played. Duchamp is commenting on the process of applying a logic. Applying this or that reduction. This or that abstraction. What a thing to have accomplished when people live out the very argument you are making through a post-humous analysis of your own work.

Goddamn some people are brilliant.