Global Warming

toke_wdc

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the immediate tip. Not a great concept.

I think the biggest and most influential advances in reducing emissions and reducing consumption is hybrid cars. It allows us to still continue to use petrol until everyone is convinced we need to change. It also gives us more time to come up with a less expensive alternative then ethanol, or at least to continue to find new ways to produce it (e.g. transplantation of designer DNA into nuetral cells, causing them to mutate and act as a cell whose waste product is ethanol).

Trust the hybrids until somethin better comes along.

One thing, unless the hydro can be produced without using electricity, then they are pointless. It would make more sense to just make a good electric car with batteries and just skip the middle man of producing hydrogen.

I think hydro will not turn out to be practical as battery technology improves.

i think the biggest improvement in power production is going to come from newer solar cells that will be 80% efficient. i think they get 40% efficiency atm.

cars will most likely be more of the hybrid variety we are starting to see these days. possibly non-oil. hydrogen is a likelihood once some major kinks are worked out (production, storage, etc)

here's somethign to stare at. peak oil is a fraud.

(big oil internal memo)

http://www.mediafire.com/?50syidicxyx

On the immediate tip. Not a great concept.

I think the biggest and most influential advances in reducing emissions and reducing consumption is hybrid cars. It allows us to still continue to use petrol until everyone is convinced we need to change. It also gives us more time to come up with a less expensive alternative then ethanol, or at least to continue to find new ways to produce it (e.g. transplantation of designer DNA into nuetral cells, causing them to mutate and act as a cell whose waste product is ethanol).

Trust the hybrids until somethin better comes along.

hybrids seem to represent a stage of "buying time until we can find something better"; because the ultimate goal would be to have cars that don't burn carbon emissions at all. but hybrids are a great improvement over traditional petrol-burning cars. remember the electric cars that hit the scene in around 99-2000? and there were many complaints regarding its limited speed/power, its inability to hold long enough charges, etc. hybrids represent a nice compromise between electrics and petrol-powered.

the earth goes through cycles and corrects faults...unfortunately for us, it takes thousands of years for us to notice the real changes. there can be speculation on what will happen 100 years from now, but what cant be said is what the natural corrections will be. dont let the convienent lie scare you...worry about radiation terrorism before you worry about what hybrid to buy instead of a an suv...

we aren't that far apart. i'm not a "man is polluting the earth" denier. what i am is a serious skeptic when these elitists start talking about how they want to save the environment.

that's pretty much it. i don't trust them.

look into al gore's investments.

who cares about gore.

the elitists have only recently jumped on the bandwagon, but NASA and scientists like James Hansen have been saying global warming is a serious problem since the early nineties.

when I brought up my point about holes in the ozone layer my point was that global warming and pollution is the cause, not the effect of these.

you don't have to trust politicians with "agendas" (although gore isn't a politician anymore...), but the general consensus of pretty much the entire scientific climatology population is a pretty safe side to believe.

i got it wrong earlier, it's "tap him on the ass and move forward" in the navy.

and, you know, for someone who repeatedly said shit like "dude why are you insulting me? don't bring insults here" it's funny you'd stoop that low.

you know who else refutes that global warming is a problem, and claims it is a naturally occuring process? your buddy dick cheney, the ex CEO of halliburton and bed partner of exxon mobil.

edit: typo

Anyone ever think that if the earth warms up more water will evaporate causing more clouds to form and therefore cool down the earth?

:shaking head:

okay.

try and wrap your head around this.

carbon dioxide/monoxide flooding our atmosphere (both are by products of that chemical reaction you may have heard of called combustion) act as a "greenhouse roof" in the sense that carbon is too dense for UV rays and other forms of radiation to penetrate through and safely leave our atmosphere, thus turning the earth into a sort of microwave for lack of a better word (in the sense that a microwave cooks things from the inside)

you ever notice how when you walk into a greenhouse it's a loooooooooot warmer inside than it is outisde? food for thought, for a van full of retards

and, you know, for someone who repeatedly said shit like "dude why are you insulting me? don't bring insults here" it's funny you'd stoop that low.

you know who else refutes that global warming is a problem, and claims it is a naturally occuring process? your buddy dick cheney, the ex CEO of halliburton and bed partner of exxon mobil.

edit: typo

theo knows i'm joking. we talk shit to each other regularly with a sort of unspoken friendliness. there used to be animosity, but now there isn't.

in other words, butt out of exchanges that don't directly apply to you.

no disrespect intended, just letting you know.

as for cheney: his agenda reaches further than gores. what i say has nothing to do with elitist views.

i believe the bible....i mean really, science says we evolved from monkeys, but you don't see people shitting in their hand and throwing it at eachother....

have fun listining to an ancient political document the rest of your life

ONCE AGAIN, it is not an issue of saying the earth has never reached certain temperatures, etc.

THE WHOLE ARGUMENT HAS TO DO WITH BEING ABLE TO ADAPT TO CHANGE, WHICH AT THIS POINT OUR INFRASTRUCTURES CANNOT SUPPORT.

Casek- Recognize I am not trying to attack you, just to make sure that the issue is clearly stated. I read that same article, and it doesn't, in my opinion have any bearing on this issue.

I mean one need only think of the dinosaurs to see that the earth was once warmer all over. The biggest indicator of climate change being a major issue is to look at earth's mass extinctions. Almost all of them had to do with global climate changes, in either a warming or cooling direction.

I am not saying we are approaching those drastic types of changes, or that we will go extinct, just that we need to get our shit together, or a lot of our infrastructures (read cities) are fucked.

Take Houston for example. I have lived here all my life (aside from my time at school in MA) and this summer has been completely fucked. I have never seen more rain in my life.

And please believe I know rain because we are right off the gulf, huge storms have been a regular occurence in my life forever. However, this is different. THunderstorms everyday for the entirety of the summer. Never happened. I was speaking to my father about it the other day and I was mentioning that I can not remember a more active summer in my whole memory. And he agreed. Now, not as though we are a difinitive source of accurate meteorological historicity, but the fact that no one here remembers something like this means something is happening.

I havent seen the sun in weeks.

Fuck this rain, and fuck the changes in global weather patterns that are causing it.

The earth may have been warmer in the past, but we sure as fuck weren't alive to see how we dealt with it.

You know crooked... you're right about the weather patterns...

where I live (which is in the northwest, boreal forest) the weather patterns are completely fucked. I've lived here for 23 years, and the last 4-5 years the winter has started later and later, and the first snows have been coming two almost three months late. For years and years and years we would get the first snow of the year on the week of halloween, like clockwork. this year it didn't snow until december, almost christmas time. Not to mention the winters have been pretty mild in comparison to what I remember as a kid.

it seems like the transition seasons, fall and spring, have been shorter as well.