UFC & MMA thread

Blaise Pascal

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
on another note...

crocop needs to retire.

seriously.

its getting sad to watch.

Dana White: Following UFC 128 loss, Mirko "Cro Cop" headed to retirement

NEWARK, N.J. – Following back-to-back losses and his steady descent in the world heavyweight rankings, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (27-9-2 MMA, 4-5 UFC) apparently is headed into retirement.

And following Filipovic's loss to Brendan Schaub (8-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) at Saturday's UFC 128 event, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) he doesn't expect much push back from the fighter.

"I don't think I'd have an argument from 'Cro Cop,'" he said.

In a pay-per-view main-card bout at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Schaub delivered the former PRIDE great a violent third-round knockout defeat. Schaub overpowered Filipovic for most of the fight and then floored him with a right hook to the side of the head in the final few minutes of the fight.

Filipovic also suffered a knockout loss in his previous bout, which came at UFC 119 to Frank Mir.

White said he'll always respect what the 36-year-old Croatian has accomplished in the sport. But he doesn't expect Filipovic back in the cage.

"I was talking tonight about how tough Mirko 'Cro Cop' is," White said. "At his age and with the wars he's been in, to see how he gets in there with these heavyweights now that are bigger, stronger and younger than he is – and he still holds his own – it's a testament to what a great fighter that guy was in his prime.

"I have all respect for Mirko 'Cro Cop,' but yeah, I'd have to say tonight is probably the last time we'll see 'Cro Cop' fight again."

White, though, said he hadn't talked to Filipovic before or after the fight about future plans. But based on his assessment, it's clear it's likely not the fighter's decision to make whether he returns to the UFC.

Filipovic went 2-3 in his most recent UFC stint and 1-2 in a heavily anticipated first stint back in 2007. The 2006 PRIDE open-weight grand-prix winner failed to capture the form that led him to a top world-heavyweight ranking and past victories over the likes of Wanderlei Silva, Josh Barnett, Aleksander Emelianenko and Mark Coleman.

Additionally, while once known for an electric striking game and head-kick knockouts, his recent bouts lacked that pizazz. In fact, after back-to-back losses to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo in 2007, he briefly left the UFC and fought in Japan before rejoining the UFC for his latest (and apparently final) stint.

that wouldnt even be worth it haha

on a side note..

Silva vs. St-Pierre, Silva vs. Jones "super fights" not currently on UFC's radar

NEWARK, N.J. – With newly crowned UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones' dominating UFC 128 win over ex-champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, the fantasy matchmakers already are at work.

And though Jones hasn't made a single title defense, fans are already anticipating a slew of matchups, including one with middleweight champ and fellow pound-for-pound-rankings darling Anderson Silva.

But UFC president Dana White said that fight currently is no more likely than Silva vs. welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre.

Up until Jones' victory at Saturday's UFC 128 event in Newark N.J., which made the 23-year-old the youngest titleholder in UFC history, the buzz was over a possible St-Pierre vs. Silva "super fight." St-Pierre – largely due to the constant questions and even encouragement from White – said he'd need to vacate his welterweight belt, pack on pounds, and move to middleweight for good if he fights Silva.

All that apparently is standing in the way is St-Pierre's upcoming UFC 129 opponent: former Strikeforce and EliteXC champion Jake Shields.

But White said St-Pierre vs. Silva may not be as close as we originally thought.

"This fight isn't happening," White said. "It's not a fight yet. It's still a big fantasy fight. There are still things that need to happen in the meantime before we sit down and discuss where this fight would be, what weight it would be at, how it would work. It's all just fantasy yet.

"I literally have not talked to Georges St-Pierre or Anderson Silva about this fight."

The same obviously goes for Jones vs. Silva. White admitted numerous people stopped him on the way to the post-UFC 128 press conference to ask about Jones vs. Silva.

"With what I saw tonight, [Jones] looks a mile ahead of everyone else," White said. "In my opinion, not only is he the No. 1 light heavyweight in the world, he shot up the pound-for-pound (rankings) as well."

But that doesn't mean he's ready to throw him into a fight with Silva just yet.

Besides, Silva really has no interest to fight at light heavyweight, White said. He only did so before (in wins over James Irvin and Forrest Griffin) because he largely had cleaned out the division and was pushed by White.

"Anderson Silva has made it very clear to me that he doesn't want to fight at 205 pounds," White said. "That's why originally when I was always talking about him trying to go for another belt at 205 pounds. ... He stuck his big toe in a couple of times because I was pressing the issue. He made it very clear he doesn't want to fight at 205."

However, like White and other true MMA fans, he thinks Silva might be lured after what we've seen from Jones, MMA's next big star, in the past couple years.

"Who knows?" White said. "Maybe he sees a guy as talented as Jon Jones, and he'll want to try it."

• Like 1

Extra paperwork creates headache for Nate Diaz, but UFC 129 fight still on

His hand may cramp a bit more than other fighters crossing the border, but Nate Diaz will make it to UFC 129 in Toronto.

Diaz hinted this morning at problems getting into Canada for an April 29 fight with Rory MacDonald. But his manager, Cesar Gracie, told MMAjunkie.com the fighter was just venting frustration at extra paperwork he is required to complete before he can travel to the country.

The red tape stems from a 2006 altercation in Reno, Nevada, that resulted in a mark on Diaz's criminal record for disturbing the peace.

"Can someone tell Canada to quit trippin and let me up in there I'm tryin to get paid," Diaz wrote on his official Twitter account.

Diaz must submit a declaration to the Canadian government that discloses his criminal record and his intent to travel into the country.

"It's your name, your number, your passport, and what was your crime," said Mark Pavelich, CEO of the Edmonton-based Maximum Fighting Championship, which often employs American talent. "You have to let them know you're coming, and that's the safest play every time with them."

Gracie said UFC officials requested the additional paperwork after discovering the charge.

"He was assaulted by a bouncer," Gracie said. "The UFC said, 'This might give you trouble going in (to Canada).' Well, he's been there eight times since then, and it's never been a problem for him.

"But just to cover all the bases, they want him to do a little paperwork. It's no big deal."

As for the fight, everything is still a go, Gracie said. Diaz (13-6 MMA, 8-4 UFC) meets fellow welterweight MacDonald (10-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at the already sold-out UFC 129 at Toronto's Rogers Centre. The bout headlines Spike TV's "UFC Prelims" special prior to the night's pay-per-view main card.

untitled6.jpg

:lol:

damn.

got him with the fucking twister! Eddie Bravo youtube videos are what got me interested in jiu jitsu and thereby MMA. I know the guys kindof a kook now, but I've watched a million of his instructional videos including mastering the twister and I was laughing my balls off when the zombie pulled that shit.

Dont be surprised if the twister gets banned soon if people start doing it. It's illegal in a lot of grappling tourneys cause its a spine lock.

i think the melendez stoppage was a BIT early. not that he wasnt whooping that ass.

and i watched it a few times, i still havent seen what made daley fall down. they were dirty boxing. no real power shots, and when they broke he just falls out. he must have been out on his feet for a while. Diaz is the real fuckin deal.

and Why would you try to take aoki down? silly meth head.

bellator fighting is wack

I've enjoyed some good fights out of Bellator which makes it even harder for me to have to agree with this statement, but this season has been a little weak thus far. That flying knee from Pitbull that basically knocked Imada out on his feet was pretty sweet though, dude looked all crumpled like a cartoon character, lol.

Forrest Griffin vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua II booked for UFC 134 in August

A pair of former UFC light heavyweight champions will meet in Brazil, as Forrest Griffin (18-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-5 MMA, 3-3 UFC) have agreed to fight in August.

Griffin and Rua meet on the main card of the previously announced "UFC: Rio" event, which is expected to serve as UFC 134 and takes place Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed the booking, which was first reported by Brazilian-based outlets Tatame.com and GracieMag.com.

It was Griffin, of course, who welcomed Rua to the UFC in September 2007. Griffin scored an upset win over the former PRIDE champion with a third-round submission win at "UFC 76: Knockout." Rua would undergo knee surgery following the loss and remained sidelined for 16 months.

Rua bounced back with three wins in his next four outings, including a highly controversial decision loss to Lyoto Machida. Along the way, Rua picked up the UFC's 205-pound title, which he relinquished in March to fast-rising superstar Jon Jones.

Meanwhile, Griffin parlayed his win over Rua into a title shot against then-champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. Griffin outpointed Jackson over 25 minutes and claimed the UFC title, which he subsequently lost to Rashad Evans at UFC 92. Griffin has compiled a 3-2 octagon record since his win over Rua.

Twisters and knee bars will usualy make you submit verbally first before remembering to tap, they are so fast and sharp that you forget to tap. You just scream.

Twister was an illegal maneuver for a long time.

My brother grappled Eddie at the Abu dabi championships in his second year of jui jitsui and Eddie tried to do the twister on him...he ended up getting mad chirps cause he couldn't tap my bro even though my bro had just got into the game.

Showdown Joe then dubbed my brother with his nickname Shaun "the phenom"

Ya ya cool story bro whatever I thought it's a decent story