<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

So I spilled water on my keyboard and immediately dried off what I could with a towel.

Somehow I must have hit some keys that resulted in it speaking everything I type, every window that pops up, when one enlarges or minimizes.

I'm going nuts.

Running OS X.

Any help? Google searches are just hitting the text to speech function, that isn't what I have enabled.

It's like some kind of assistance for the blind or something.

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I got Avira free anti-virus and its occasional pop up adverts are annoying.

Is there anything I can do?

Havent seen one for a few days actually now that i think about it...

The price of having a really good, free antivirus. You only see them when it updates.

Should be once a day or so.

Alright, here is the deal.

My pc is crashing and burning lately, since i installed a downloaded version of creative suite design 4 and did a total hackjob (in the sens of poorly exectuted) to patch it so i dont have to register it or buy it or whatever you want to call it.

Since then my msn messenger stopped working, i saw that there is some issues with flash plugins so i updated it and it still wont work.

So im fucking done with that crap, im going to format my whole pc and start on a new slab.

Point is, my computer takes like a minute to open photoshop and since im taking it to the guy to have it formatted i consider upgrading some stuff.

here is my current setup:

Nvidia geforce 7050

dual core intel celeron e1200 @ 1.60 ghz (two of these obv)

i also have 1.87 gb of ram

im running xp and i just want to have teh internets working properly and to do some basic photo editing.

Two questions:

1- What would you recommend to upgrade, if any

2- What sould i install security wise without ruining my ass on some 7k security suite cia status bullshit.

oh and for extra props

What can i use to prevent crap from entering my machine while downloading torrents, i heard of sandbox things but i have no clue how it works, or if it is related to the use i intend to use it for ( if that makes any sense)

/yeswalloftext

*edit, no i wont buy a 15k mac laptop to ride on my fixie, so no need to awnser '' lol you dont have the mac they are teh awesome'' thanks

• Like 1

Couple questions regarding Windows 7...

1: I'm moving my desktop from xp to w7 and when reinstalling apps (mostly cracked), I keep getting harassed by administrative rights. How can I disable that? I am the administrator and the only profile, I want that ish to go away.

2: I am also trying to establish a homegroup, however with both computers connected, w7 wants me to create 2 homegroups in which both computers cant connect. What is an easy way of getting this homegroup bizness started?

3: lastly... how the eff do I get my icons small... this shit is enormous.

Thank much

/frustratedoner

• Like 1

Alright, here is the deal.

My pc is crashing and burning lately, since i installed a downloaded version of creative suite design 4 and did a total hackjob (in the sens of poorly exectuted) to patch it so i dont have to register it or buy it or whatever you want to call it.

Since then my msn messenger stopped working, i saw that there is some issues with flash plugins so i updated it and it still wont work.

So im fucking done with that crap, im going to format my whole pc and start on a new slab.

Point is, my computer takes like a minute to open photoshop and since im taking it to the guy to have it formatted i consider upgrading some stuff.

here is my current setup:

Nvidia geforce 7050

im running xp and i just want to have teh internets working properly and to do some basic photo editing.

Two questions:

1- What would you recommend to upgrade, if any

2- What sould i install security wise without ruining my ass on some 7k security suite cia status bullshit.

oh and for extra props

What can i use to prevent crap from entering my machine while downloading torrents, i heard of sandbox things but i have no clue how it works, or if it is related to the use i intend to use it for ( if that makes any sense)

/yeswalloftext

*edit, no i wont buy a 15k mac laptop to ride on my fixie, so no need to awnser '' lol you dont have the mac they are teh awesome'' thanks

2- i recommend a new computer ( good deals during the holiday season, you can get away with a 400 dollars pc

here is a nice machine, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109035

if not in the budget

( don't take it to a tech, do it yourself at home)

you pop in your recovery disk or windows disk and follow the prompts,

Things You Can Do At Home

Urge And Help On.

Here Are My Recommended Programs That You Should Install, To Keep Your Computer Clean And Running Smooth

Recommended Anti-Virus Software

Avast Anti-Virus (Free Home Edition)

Recommended By Me, But Slows Computer Down During Boot.

AVG Anti-Virus (Free Edition)

Also A Great Product, Is Slow During Scan And Gives A Lot False Positives.

Avira AntiVir (Free Edition)

Very Fast, Very Small , Works Very Well.

Comodo Anti-Virus (Free Edition)

Very Bloated With Extra Tools ( Not Very Beginner User Friendly, But Works Great.

Microsoft Security Essentials ( Genuine Windows Needed)

The newly released free antivirus by Microsoft, has a clean and modern interface, The detection rates are very good, Security Essentials has very few false positives, significantly fewer than AntiVir, Avast and AVG. MSE automatically updates once a day.

Recommended System Cleaners

CCleaner

Freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)

Recommended Anti-Malware Software

MalwareBytes (Free)

Recommend By Me, Great Program, Finds Everything.

Windows Defender (Free)

Great Balance Of Speed, And File Pickup, Low On System Resources. Comes Built In With Vista.

Spybot-S&D ( Free)

Fast, Small, Finds A Lot Of Files.

Ad-Aware (Free)

Slow, Finds The Most Files When Properly Configured But Takes Up The Most System Resources.

HijackThis (Free)

For Advanced Users Only.

Internet Web Browser Alternatives

Mozilla Firefox ( with extensions)

Recommended By Me, Fast, Most Secure, Has The Ability To Fit Anyones Style, Very User Friendly

Opera

The Fastest Of All The Web Browsers, And Most Compatible With Websites Built In IE Code. More Secure Then IE

Safari

This Is For Apple Turnovers That Want To Stay Connected To Something They Know.

DO's and DON'T's

Urge And Help On.

DO:

Manually update and scan your system with an anti-spyware program at least twice a month.

Manually run ' Windows Disk Defrag' or other disk defragmentation program at least twice a month.

Be very cautious of downloading and installing programs from the Internet, or from free CD's that come in the mail or are available at public places like stores. Use a search engine to research any programs you are unfamiliar with to check if they come with spyware, adware or viruses before downloading and installing.

Use 'Firefox' web browser instead of Microsoft's 'Internet Explorer'. 'Firefox' is more secure and can use extensions, which are little programs that give extra features to the browser. For example, one extension, 'Adblock Plus', blocks ads from downloading to your computer, making your Internet browsing safer. Also 'Firefox' looks better.

Uninstall programs that you do not use anymore This will boost performance.

To Do This:

1.) Click on 'Start', then click on 'Control Panel'.

2.) In the 'Control Panel', click on 'Add or Remove Programs' ('Programs and Features' in Windows Vista), and then wait for the list to appear with all the programs on the computer.

3.) Click on the name of the program you want to remove, then click the button on the right-hand side that says 'Remove' or 'Change/Remove' (In Vista, simply click the name of the program and the process will begin).

4.) Once the uninstaller starts, follow the options presented to remove the program as completely as it will allow.

Each program uninstalls a little differently, but usually it's just a series of buttons asking if you're sure you want to uninstall and if you want all of it uninstalled. Just follow the logical path to get the program off the computer and it will be gone.

Please note that you should never use the Add Remove Programs to uninstall any programs you think are malicious, This could cause more problems. And should be taken care off by a Tech,

DON'T:

Do not Install additional spyware or adware removal programs without researching them first. There are many fake ones offered that actually are spyware and adware, or give false results, offering to fix the problems only if you buy the paid version.

Do not Install more than one antivirus program. If there are multiple antivirus programs running at once, They will interfere with each other and can actually PREVENT themselves from doing their job right.

Do not install any other programs for security without researching them first. There are many programs that claim to enhance Windows security that actually do just the opposite.

Do no install toolbars for the browser, such as Yahoo, Google, Windows Live or any others. These take up valuable screen space while browsing the Internet and use up system resources, as well as present a potential privacy issue (such as reporting your Internet activity back to their respective parent companies).

Allow unnecessary programs to start up when the computer starts up. This slows down the whole computer and saps system resources from the moment the computer is turned on. Activate each program as you need it, then shut it down when you're done with it, rather than letting it continue running in the background.

Allow programs to install additional programs. When installing one program, uncheck all options for installing other programs such as toolbars and things like that. Many companies bundle their software with programs from other companies as a sort of advertising method, and this can result in several programs being installed for each one you actually intend to install. This can have all sorts of unintended consequences, from security breaches to system resource hogging to nuclear war. You don't want to cause nuclear war, do you?

Accept file transfers or attachments from people on instant messengers or email if you don't personally know them.

I would also like to note this quote

Nvidia geforce 7050

dual core processor means there is 2 cores on 1 chip so there is obviously only 1 not 2

Couple questions regarding Windows 7...

1: I'm moving my desktop from xp to w7 and when reinstalling apps (mostly cracked), I keep getting harassed by administrative rights. How can I disable that? I am the administrator and the only profile, I want that ish to go away.

2: I am also trying to establish a homegroup, however with both computers connected, w7 wants me to create 2 homegroups in which both computers cant connect. What is an easy way of getting this homegroup bizness started?

3: lastly... how the eff do I get my icons small... this shit is enormous.

Thank much

/frustratedoner

1. To user Control Panel to disable UAC in Windows 7, there are several methods to access the User Account Control settings page:

1. Go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Account.
    2. Go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Action Center.
    3. Click or right click on Flag icon in notification area (system tray), and then Open Action Center.
    4. Type “MsConfig” in Start Search to start System Configuration, then go to Tools tab, select Change UAC Settings, then click on Launch button.

[*]Click on User Account Control settings link. win7-uac.jpg

[*]Slide the slider bar to the lowest value (towards Never Notify), with description showing Never notify me. windows-7-disable-uac.jpg

[*]Click OK to make the change effective.

[*]Restart the computer to turn off User Access Control.

Method 2: Disable UAC with Registry Editor (RegEdit)

1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit).
  2. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
  3. Locate the following REG_DWORD value: EnableLUA
  4. Set the value of EnableLUA to 0.
  5. Optional step to suppress UAC consent prompt dialog, locate the following REG_DWORD value: ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin
  6. Set the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (optional).
  7. Exit from Registry Editor and restart the computer to turn off UAC.

Here is how to join a homegroup

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/43972-homegroup-add-computer-join.html

3 right click a blank area in the desktop / view / ( small Icons)

This is the error code msn keep giving me, i did every single thing they tell you to do in the troubleshooting thing and im about to go nuts.

Any help? i ran ad-aware and avira complete scans and i did everything thet told me to in the help section regarding this error code.

also, seffix, THANKS for the complete infos on my previous post, props given.

Found this .none.:

1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that

the time and date are set.

2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the

correct case (uppercase or lowercase).

3. Change your password @ https://login.passport.com/ChangePW.srf to

something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.

4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible

that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you

upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall

if this is the case.

5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try

restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an

installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).

6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then

Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the

Delete Cookies button.

7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then

Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check

for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL

3.0' is checked, then click OK.

8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:

regsvr32 softpub.dll

then click OK

and do the same for the following:

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll

^^ i did quite a few of these casek, thanks i'll look into your other tips.

Also, since i have your attention, on startup a error message pop up telling me that

c:\docume~1\admin~\locals~1\temp\722062430don.dll

is missing, its fucking north pole snowstorm status out there so i will be home all night trying to fix this pile of crap, so i really appreciate your help guys.

*edit

Date was wrong, for some reason my comp was set to 2010...

so i spent forever trying to fix stuff that wasnt broken...

thanks casek, once again 12oz delivers

i used glary utilities for the second time on my machine and its the second time this fuckup happen, im noticing a attern here...

i'll give this link you posted a shot thanks

*edit

Do i have to uninstall what i already have antivirus/anti spyware related to run this?

i am currently scanning with malwarebytes and avira is on, will i cause some kind of programs collision by installing this while they are on?

alright i downloaded it and updated it, but is that going to fix my missing dll file crap?

these scans take forever damn! 1h14 minutes and still counting

It may. You might be surprised what comes up in the scan, a squared is pretty bad ass.

An hour is not bad. Don't browse the interweb while it's scanning. Let it scan and watch some tv or read a book.

seems like those scans and so on fixed the problems.

Since avira failed miserably at anything but beeping the internal speaker of my pc to warn me about only the viruses he couldnt do shit about (clicked quarantine and 1 sec later it popped up right back)

what can i do to prevent me to have to go thru 6 hours of scans and steady tech support thread flooding?

Im guessing a firewall and a antivirus?

if so wich one would you recommend, since everthing yo suggesed me was superior to what i was using i guess you know a thing or two about this too right

Copy the files to several CDs or a single DVD. Make sure that you copy them, and don't burn them as audio CD tracks. You'll find your iTunes files in your My Music folder. You can also use an external drive

Put the CD or DVD in the disk drive of your new PC. Drag the song folders from the CD or DVD to the Library icon in the iTunes window. The folders and all the songs in them will be copied into iTunes. (From iTunes, you can also choose File ® "Add to Library" to copy them.)

TIP: If you're selling, scrapping, or giving away a computer that has iTunes installed on it, make sure you "deauthorize" it. If you don't, it will still count as one of the up to five computers you can play iTunes files on. To deauthorize your computer, in iTunes select Advanced ® Deauthorize Computer, select Deauthorize Computer for Apple Account, and enter your Apple ID and password.

• Like 1