<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i have this gateway notebook ML6720

got it in oct 07

last night my dvdr drive started making a buzzing noise.

actually longer than the intermintent noise when popping in a new dvd or a dirty dvd.

and now my drive is not recognizing dvd's i put in.

i checked for updated drivers and i was up to date.

updated vista stuff.

i just updated anydvd today. not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

i shoulda just bought the warranty and used this laptop like a stolen car.

*if it matters this is my comp for burning dvds/cds so im thinking the laser might be shot.

i have this gateway notebook ML6720

got it in oct 07

last night my dvdr drive started making a buzzing noise.

actually longer than the intermintent noise when popping in a new dvd or a dirty dvd.

updated vista stuff.

i just updated anydvd today. not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

i shoulda just bought the warranty and used this laptop like a stolen car.

*if it matters this is my comp for burning dvds/cds so im thinking the laser might be shot.

most likely. spend a little dough on a laser cleaner.

if it doesn't work, you need a new drive. most likely

your shit is misaligned.

get rid of anydvd

http://lifehacker.com/355281/dvd-rip-automates-one+click-dvd-ripping

is it even cost effective to try and track one down and buy a internal dvd burner for my laptop considering in cost 500?

gateway doesent have prices for the drive.

thinking about making this one a 'desktop' and grabbing a new notebook if the drive is too expensive.

i talked to gateway and this is what they had to say (yer computer is still under the one year warranty automatically so its free replacement

anyway here is what they said

Miranda_GWER4446 joined the incident.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Thank you for contacting technical support. My name and badge number are Miranda_GWER4446. Please hold while I review your issue.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Hello Bob

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

According to your submission, the model number for your system is a Gateway ML6720 (notebook), correct?

bob dole says:

correct

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Thank you for verifying your information.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Also according to your submission, you need a replacement drive for the laptop, correct?

bob dole says:

yes

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Can I ask the specific drive you want to replace? Is it the optical or hard drive?

bob dole says:

optical

bob dole says:

dvd

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Can I ask the reason why you need to replace the specific device?

bob dole says:

ast night my dvdr drive started making a buzzing noise.

updated vista stuff.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Did you check if the device is detected under Device Manager and BIOS?

bob dole says:

no

bob dole says:

it was working fine and it just quit

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

For us determine if the issue is software or hardware related, we need to check if the optical drive is detected in BIOS and Device Manager.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Are you using right now the computer you have issue with?

bob dole says:

no

bob dole says:

i dont even have it with me right now

bob dole says:

i just figured it was a misaligned laser

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

I'll provide you instead the steps on how reinstall the optical driver, in case the device is detected under Device Mangae.r

bob dole says:

ok

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

If the optical drive is detected under Device Manager and have yellow exclamation or question mark, please follow the steps below:

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Click Start and type regedit in the Search box. Click regedit. This will begin the Registry Editor that we can utilized to perform this delicate procedure.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

- Click on the plus [+] sign to the left of "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".<br>- Continue clicking the plus [+] sign to the left of the following folders in this order:<br>SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

The next folder we are going to actually highlight instead of clicking on the plus. You will notice that these folders are not named, but instead contain a series of letters and numbers. The one we are looking for is called "{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}". When you find it, single-click on the folder to highlight it and then proceed with the instructions below.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

- Look on right-hand side of the window for an icon called "Upperfilters" and/or "Lowerfilters".<br>- Right-click on it and select "Delete" from the popup menu.<br>- Repeat the same procedure until both "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" have been removed.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Then right click Computer icon, choose Manage. Click Device Manager and right click the device listed under CD/DVD Drives, choose Uninstall.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Restart the computer and Windows would automatically reload the driver.

bob dole says:

ok thank you

bob dole says:

in case this does not work what type of drive should i look for?

bob dole says:

any model number or type

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

You're welcome Bob. You can refer to this link: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/OasisSR/2528249R/2528249Rmv.shtml for the specification of the original optical drive.

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

Since the purchase date of the system was 10/13/2007, that means the computer is still under 1 year limited warranty.

bob dole says:

ok thank you

Miranda_GWER4446 says:

And we can process a replacement which is free of charge. Please provide the correct serial number of the computer to register the system.

ive been comin in here alot askin for a lot of help lately...

i guess thats what i get for buyin a used iBook.

well heres my new problem.

as of today i was uploading some painting footage....i come back in 5 minutes and my screens all fucked up lookin ghost white and has noise/distortion.

so i restart it and it seems to be breathing and running...

but nothing appears on the screen...its all black...

its been black for a good while

so i turned it on again about 2 hours later and its all good....except that it was only good for about 15 minutes....then it freezes again and i restarted same thing

black screen....

now nothing comes up on the screen.... completely black.

any ideas what it could be?

burnt fuse?....broken screen?...

it is capable of blocking incoming and outgoing connections based on IP blocklists. (The system is also capable of blocking advertising, spyware, government and educational ranges, depending upon yer user preferences

in other words its a firewall, it stops hackers and RIAA heads from checking on what you are downloading it is mostly used for people who use torrents