<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

thats shit happened to me when i had my old computer.

then when that shit was done. i got it working again.

then. i was online, the computer was working fine.

i went to take a piss and my computer was off. and i tried to turn it back on and it wouldnt.

i unplugged it from the wall and the power button was still flashing.

the computer still doesnt work

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest shai_hulud

Juan- good point, but I wait for people to ask me about Linux now. Windows is not that bad, but it takes A LOT of work to get it right...about as much as getting a Linux system configured right, I think.

The problem with Linux is that even thought it's better, it's different enough to where most people get frustrated at some point. Ubuntu helps, but even that can be tricky. Plus, fixing things in Linux can be a pain, as I'm sure you have noticed once or twice.

What are you using?

i had this problem where my computer wouldn't connect to the internet because it couldn't start a bunch of services because windows couldn't find the files or so the error messages said. so i ran spinrite on my hard drive and it's working for now. this brought a problem to my mind. a while ago i copied some pictures to a cd and tried to open them on another computer, but it said it was protected and access denied. how do you put files on a cd or hard drive and make sure any other computer can access them?

• Like 1

Guest shai_hulud
hey shai yer boy View Profile: hot butter up a lions ass

hot butter up a lions ass Status: Offline

Last Activity: 11-30-2007 05:02 AM

thats the day i posted my tutorial hahaha he must have did it

HA HA.

Well, that's what he gets for asking for help after not being nice.

Juan posts a lot in Crossfire. Seems like a bright dude.

Fuse was a Linux user. I haven't seen him around. So was r00t. Same thing.

spectr messes with Linux now and then.

Me, well...I'm a little rusty. When I'm using Linux a lot, I can be a little more helpful because all the little details are fresh in my mind, like what all the scripts do and what error codes mean what. Otherwise, I'm like..."Uhhhh....look on the Ubuntu forum?" That's why I sort of backed off recommending it. I'm not fucking with it every day.

So, yeah. If anyone has Linux experience, we could use the input. I could definitely use the input sometimes.

Juan- good point, but I wait for people to ask me about Linux now. Windows is not that bad, but it takes A LOT of work to get it right...about as much as getting a Linux system configured right, I think.

The problem with Linux is that even thought it's better, it's different enough to where most people get frustrated at some point. Ubuntu helps, but even that can be tricky. Plus, fixing things in Linux can be a pain, as I'm sure you have noticed once or twice.

What are you using?

i understand what you say. im living it.

and it is part of GNU. before it used to be worst.

and with the time things get sorted so nice, until one day, all that will be gone, and we will be able to be lazy like we were with windows. just wait 2 years, windows will lose its popularity(because of how things are going).

the way it works is interesting. there's a whole philsophy behind how linux works, and what the "linux world" relates too. liberty, freedom, sharing.

i seek all the ways posible to free myself from aiding the greedy industries like microsoft.

i went to linux and i encourage everyone to go. it is not that hard. youll learn trust me.

im using mandriva 2008.0 . (KDE)

Guest shai_hulud
i understand what you say. im living it.

and it is part of GNU. before it used to be worst.

and with the time things get sorted so nice, until one day, all that will be gone, and we will be able to be lazy like we were with windows. just wait 2 years, windows will lose its popularity(because of how things are going).

the way it works is interesting. there's a whole philsophy behind how linux works, and what the "linux world" relates too. liberty, freedom, sharing.

i seek all the ways posible to free myself from aiding the greedy industries like microsoft.

i went to linux and i encourage everyone to go. it is not that hard. youll learn trust me.

im using mandriva 2008.0 . (KDE)

I don't think Windows is going anywhere. There are enough people who need it to develop it and for it independently. I've been hearing that "______is going to replace MS" for a long time. I have yet to see it happen.

I like XP. I learned a lot by taking it apart and looking at it from the inside out. It's not a bad system, it was just a poorly packaged system with a lot of unnecessary stuff added to it.. Once you get everything put together correctly and strip out the crap, it's not bad.

I've been using Linux since 2005, so I know about GNU, GPL and BSD. I use Linux because I support those ideals. I've gone through periods where I favored Linux, but I use XP and Linux equally. Right now, I am using a Mac. I honestly tried my hardest to get Linux to work on this system, but it wasn't meant to be. I'm using a very stripped down 10.4.11 system on an old G3 laptop right now. I have Xcode and X11 installed, if I want to use Unix apps. I mostly just use the CLI to check mail or chat via ssh on a remote server, and for netstat and dmesg (our network is funny).

My goal is to learn everything I can about everything I can. Therefore, I have to keep an open mind.

Oh, I use PCLinuxOS on my desktop. Damn Small is installed on my old laptop. Both systems are running Fluxbox.

I want to figure out a way to port Fluxbox to this laptop as I'm getting sick of the Aqua interface.

Good luck with Linux. Like I said, we can use the input around here.

Guest shai_hulud

What kind of sound card is it? (MaKe, model)

What system are you running on?

What is your GF's bra size?

Pick two out of three.

I'll look into the error code for you.

CompUSA closes shop

Forget Black Friday. For the best deals on gadgets and PCs this holiday season, look no further than your neighborhood CompUSA.

The embattled electronics retail chain was dealt its final blow Friday when it was sold to Specialty Equity, an affiliate of private equity firm Gordon Brothers Group. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed, but the immediate result is that Specialty Equity will close all 103 CompUSA stores in the United States, according to a press release issued late Friday.

Gordon Brothers will "initiate an orderly wind-down" of each of the stores, the company says. That's great news for consumers looking for bargains. CompUSA will remain open through the holiday shopping season, presumably with "Everything Must Go!"-style signs.

It was clear all was not well at the retailer when in March it closed half of its stores due to pressure from bigger chains like Best Buy and Circuit City.